Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Now some bunch of cuntos like Hibs, Hearts or the Dingwall millionaires will swoop in.

:angry:

tbf I doubt they rely on The Sun to check if a player's available.

I'd definitely rest older players like in the next couple of games. As for who can come in, the subs bench on Saturday would be a good start. Gilchrist, Smith, Coulson, Thomson, Scobbie, Kane. Some of those it would be good to see put a couple of games together; others just to give the regulars a longer break; Kano to work his way back.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

tbf I doubt they rely on The Sun to check if a player's available.

I'd definitely rest older players like in the next couple of games. As for who can come in, the subs bench on Saturday would be a good start. Gilchrist, Smith, Coulson, Thomson, Scobbie, Kane. Some of those it would be good to see put a couple of games together; others just to give the regulars a longer break; Kano to work his way back.

I'd be more inclined to rest Paton and Mannus (who counts as one of the auld yins) over the regular older players as they have an International match on the 10th of June to consider. I think they're getting 9 days off as things stand.

Hard to say what Tommy will do over the next week as there's definitely merit in your argument. Maclean has had a long hard season up front, Anderson has been in and out because of injuries as well. Might be worth giving those guys and perhaps Foster and Wotherspoon (who has also had a few niggles this year) the rest of the season off. We have proven players available in their positions. I'd guess Tommy would want to give Paton in particular a break, but we don't really have the available options to replace him right now with Millar and Davidson both out injured.

I think that highlights that we really need an extra option in the centre of midfield that Tommy trusts. I think  Alston and Wotherspoon could play there, but Tommy seems reluctant to play them there, particularly Alston.

23 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Another – simpler – question. Have St Johnstone (or any other Scottish club) ever played a competitive game in June?

Thistle played in the Intertoto Cup in June 1995. Our season finished on 16th May in the relegation playoff against Dundee United. 

St Johnstone will have a similarly lengthy campaign with the Premiership due to finish on 12th May next season. 

There was a competition called the Summer Cup which ran during World War Two so I imagine Saints played a competitive game in that in June before. 

4 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Thistle played in the Intertoto Cup in June 1995. Our season finished on 16th May in the relegation playoff against Dundee United. 

St Johnstone will have a similarly lengthy campaign with the Premiership due to finish on 12th May next season. 

There was a competition called the Summer Cup which ran during World War Two so I imagine Saints played a competitive game in that in June before. 

Saints never took part in the Summer Cup, so it definitely looks like our Europa League Qualifying tie will be the first time in our history we've played a competitive match in June. 

Saints never took part in the Summer Cup, so it definitely looks like our Europa League Qualifying tie will be the first time in our history we've played a competitive match in June. 

We played in another "summer cup" in 63-64 and 64-65 but none of the games were as late as June.

Eta: I reckon its the first june game since saints played Real Mallorca in a friendly on 4th June 1969

....also looks like that we have only played 4 games of any kind in our history in June. In addition to the above fixture, Inverness Caley and Forres Mechanics on the 29th and 30th in 1951 in a pre-season tour and a benefit game for the Ibrox disaster fund on the 9th in 1902 against the might of Auchterarder Thistle. We have won 3 and drawn 1 (2-2 vs Caley).

11 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

....also looks like that we have only played 4 games of any kind in our history in June. In addition to the above fixture, Inverness Caley and Forres Mechanics on the 29th and 30th in 1951 in a pre-season tour

And I think – I don't have the Saints book in front of me – that those 1951 friendlies took place almost a full month before the start of the season!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/427682/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-sensed-hearts-january-spending-spree-backfire/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sounds like Scobbie will be offered something - mentioned alongside Mannus when discussing talking to agents.

Suggestion we might see the likes of Kane, Coulson, Hurst etc get some game time too.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Decent article on Saints on the Scotsman page.  Apart from the bit about us being devastating on the counter attack!!..

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/why-st-johnstone-are-scotland-s-answer-to-atletico-madrid-1-4451137

Surprisingly decent article, not the usual shite we've witnessed in the last few years.

What Saints do is not rocket science and the way we play is predictable. Why can't other managers counter act it?

Because they're obviously shite managers compared to Sir Tommy.

Just now, Radford said:

Does @perthsaint1977 know if Alex Samizadeh was the foreign lad you mentioned training with the club?

Scott Burns of the Daily Express says we are taking a look at him.

From the U20 squad, Greg Page and Connor McLaren have both left.

18 years old my arse. Still, he's got a decent record for Bolton's under 23s and seems rated by Bolton's support. 

Give the 40 year old a contract, Thomas. 

IMG_5471.PNG