Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If Scougall signs, taking Dannys place, that'll basically be the same squad as last season. With a decent striker incoming, 2nd and a cup* should be in the bag next season. 

*Europa.

They'd be as well handing over the trophy now TBQHWY.

7 minutes ago, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

Yes agreed if Scobbie and Scougall sign then we are only looking for a replacement for Gormley to complete the squad 

I know of a golden Labrador called Wallace who could fill Gormley's role quite nicely.

I know Scobbie tries hard, unforgettable penalty v Lucerne etc, but he's often caught out of position and his distribution borders on comical at times.

Surely there are better options - even in our own squad?

I know Scobbie tries hard, unforgettable penalty v Lucerne etc, but he's often caught out of position and his distribution borders on comical at times.

Sounds a lot like Andos first few years. I'd keep him, seems well liked in the squad and as our strongest back four speaks for itself when fit I don't see anyone better coming in to be a squad player

2 hours ago, YHallSaint said:

Sounds a lot like Andos first few years. I'd keep him, seems well liked in the squad and as our strongest back four speaks for itself when fit I don't see anyone better coming in to be a squad player

I've only seen Liam Gordon twice and he looks a better player to me, and I do think players like him need more of a taste of first team football.

I like Scobbie too – great attitude – but by re-signing him, we're not signing someone else. Our back four only speaks for itself because no-one's challenging (or arguably in Liam Gordon's case getting the opportunity to). I think our back four is decent, but hardly outstanding.

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I've only seen Liam Gordon twice and he looks a better player to me, and I do think players like him need more of a taste of first team football.

I like Scobbie too – great attitude – but by re-signing him, we're not signing someone else. Our back four only speaks for itself because no-one's challenging (or arguably in Liam Gordon's case getting the opportunity to). I think our back four is decent, but hardly outstanding.

Our defence improved as the season went on I thought. We were spoilt in the Mackay-Wright-Ando-Easton years, but I think this back 4 is becoming increasingly reliable and confident.  After the split, only Celtic and rangers scored against us. That includes an Aberdeen side who just put 6 past Thistle.  I think Scobbie has played in all 5 of those games.

I think back to the months before Xmas, when it felt every cross was resulting in a goal against us for a period.

As cover, Tam is a great option, and has the added bonus that he can play left back if Easton is out.  

12 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Someone in our own squad who can cover Left central defense and left back....Who ??

Watson and Coulson free to leave according to unofficial twitter.

Coulson I'm glad about, but realistically nobody is going to take him. As for Watson it's a shame it's not worked out as when he's played he's been pretty impressive and I'm sure would have given Foster a challenge for the right back spot. But we can't afford to carry a guy who's only going to play a quarter of the season. If he goes I'd be happy enough offing Clive Smith a deal, for a 19 year old he played like a senior player and seems like a guy who could potentially take over at right back in a few years.

Smith surprised me but I can't see Saints dealing him in. The fact he wasn't involved in the last few games was presumably telling. Foster, Shaughnessy and Comrie can all play at right back. Letting Watson go is probably a reaction to Wright wanting to keep Scobbie, who looked on his way out not long ago. It keeps the door open for the three young centre backs, although I expect Kerr to go out on loan again, if a suitable club can be found.

Doubt many will shed a tear over Coulson and from a personal point of view, he can't be enjoying it stuck up here but not playing anything approaching regularly. I'm sure he'll get a club at National League level. Watson back to St Mirren is surely a possibility? He won't be short of admirers I'm sure, if he can prove he's fit.

Edited by Radford

Feel a bit sorry for Watson, who looked the part on the rare occasions he was fit. Coulson was well out of his depth though. Ultimately, I think Tommy has called this about right.

These are the two pre-contracts we signed towards the tail end of last season. Cautionary tales about jumping in feet first before seeing what else might be available in the summer.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

These are the two pre-contracts we signed towards the tail end of last season. Cautionary tales about jumping in feet first before seeing what else might be available in the summer.

Oh I don't know. They're not all bad. Don't forget we signed Richard Brittain and Brad MacKay on pre-contracts too. :whistle