Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Bolton fans reckon they're interested in Liam Gordon.

Where the hell did you find that!?

Also seriously doubt it, given they've no cash and saints would almost certainly be looking for a nice chunky fee for him given he's a starting centreback.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Bolton fans reckon they're interested in Liam Gordon.

I've just seen this too. I think it's his namesake that's out of contract after leaving Dagenham & Redbridge. Seems to be what all the chat is about.

Just now, perthsaints99 said:

I've just seen this too. I think it's his namesake that's out of contract after leaving Dagenham & Redbridge. Seems to be what all the chat is about.

This makes more sense given what I found. 

But that's not a choice is it?
Do new strips matter every year?
Yes. Because it generates revenue for the club. It's not infantile to suggest that, it's a matter of fact. I'd never buy one to 'sit on my couch' or go to a match in but folk do. That's money. Also kids are really important here. My boy gets a new Saints strip every year, he looks forward to it and most importantly it keeps him interested in the team. Adults might buy them to put on an office wall, or as a prize in a charity raffle. Who cares, it's money for the club and we should get them out for the start of the season if we can.
Of course there's far more important things (performance on the pitch being one and a global pandemic trumping them all) . It's quite easy to grasp that saying that one thing is quite important does not mean you think it's the 'most important' thing. I think it's moderately important but by f**k I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Can we just move on now to the inevitable arguments about the design? 
I agree with all of that, but there's obviously reasons for the delay of the strips.

How many home fans do we reckon would be allowed at McDiarmid Park with the social distancing rules? Given the size of our support, I’d be inclined to say that not many would miss out? But maybe that’s naive.

I’d imagine it’ll be restricted to season tickets only until Christmas time.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

How many home fans do we reckon would be allowed at McDiarmid Park with the social distancing rules? Given the size of our support, I’d be inclined to say that not many would miss out? But maybe that’s naive.

SG are still saying 2m for social distancing, so that's probably leaving 3 empty seats between fans, staggering on the rows to leave (I'm guessing) enough distance vertically and horizontally. So roughly 25% capacity maximum, just over 2.5k. 

That's my guess.

On the matter of the strips... As much as I wouldn’t particularly mind if we started the season in last season’s strips, it does come across as tinpot. There’s no doubt about that. If the strips aren’t available to purchase, at least unveil the design or keep the fans informed at the very least. The lack of communication isn’t acceptable in the age of social media. Amateur behaviour shouldn’t just be accepted or enabled by saying ‘This is St Johnstone. What were you expecting?’.

8 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

On the matter of the strips... As much as I wouldn’t particularly mind if we started the season in last season’s strips, it does come across as tinpot. There’s no doubt about that. If the strips aren’t available to purchase, at least unveil the design or keep the fans informed at the very least. The lack of communication isn’t acceptable in the age of social media. Amateur behaviour shouldn’t just be accepted or enabled by saying ‘This is St Johnstone. What were you expecting?’.

What if it is revealed before the start of the season? Surely we can accept that in this climate?

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What if it is revealed before the start of the season? Surely we can accept that in this climate?

Yes but they could have communicated something before now. It's not about what you or I think, they were getting asked by plenty of folk and could just have put out a short bit saying there were delays and they were working hard to resolve things in trying times. 

Folk thinking this is about the actual t-shirts are missing the point.

Clubs are very fortunate to have the sort of loyalty from their customers that no other businesses really enjoy but that doesn't mean you can just take it for granted IMO. 

That would be acceptable IMO. And it’s what I expect will happen. But I’m getting the impression that some wouldn’t deem it as an issue if the season started with no information whatsoever.

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Yes but they could have communicated something before now. It's not about what you or I think, they were getting asked by plenty of folk and could just have put out a short bit saying there were delays and they were working hard to resolve things in trying times. 

Folk thinking this is about the actual t-shirts are missing the point.

Clubs are very fortunate to have the sort of loyalty from their customers that no other businesses really enjoy but that doesn't mean you can just take it for granted IMO. 

I totally understand folk thinking it's amateurish but c'mon tae f**k there's been a worldwide pandemic, it's understandable there are delays. Most of our staff have been on furlough, the club are trying to survive financially and folk are moaning about a kit that Saints make f**k all from anyway. I'll criticise the club or club staff when I think they genuinely should be doing a lot better, on this one I don't think they deserve too much criticism tbh, i think that could be because I don't wear or buy the strips. 

That's mainly because I'm over 10 years old.

Think that's him given up on his career tbh part time he will probably pile on the pounds.
Will still be a sexy wee chubby baller though.

He’s got a business or is at least involved in one somewhere, he’ll be absolutely fine out of football.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

He’s got a business or is at least involved in one somewhere, he’ll be absolutely fine out of football.

I know he'll be absolutely fine outside of football. Just a shame he's giving up on his career tbh because he still has loads to offer in a football sense, could easily still play championship football.

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

SG are still saying 2m for social distancing, so that's probably leaving 3 empty seats between fans, staggering on the rows to leave (I'm guessing) enough distance vertically and horizontally. So roughly 25% capacity maximum, just over 2.5k. 

Would depend on how it's organised I suppose. Could be less than 2m if good practices in place, but it'll be a weird environment in any case - will people be allowed to sing, or chant?

Turnstiles, exits and toilets are challenges too, and might not be cheap to solve. I can see Saints not exactly rushing to push up capacity. And can see fans not exactly rushing to attend.

33 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Would depend on how it's organised I suppose. Could be less than 2m if good practices in place, but it'll be a weird environment in any case - will people be allowed to sing, or chant?

Turnstiles, exits and toilets are challenges too, and might not be cheap to solve. I can see Saints not exactly rushing to push up capacity. And can see fans not exactly rushing to attend.

Also depends how much revenue comes from televising the games vs letting people in. 

47 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Going slightly off topic most Churches can now open but are not for the reasons above. 

Back at McDiarmid how could they police no singing, they cannot even stop old firm fans singing their songs. 

There will be a resistance from some to return but most will be very keen to get back asap.