Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We all would, but never at the expense of relegation.  That would be a financial nightmare for the club.
If it took the Arabs 5 years to get out, how long would it take us?

Who cares man, we’d be going down with the cup. We would be joining an elite group of clubs including the likes of East Fife and Patrick Thistle that can claim to have won both the League and Scottish Cup. It is the dream.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It's not all about putting it in the net as you well know, especially if you're counting Kane being an asset to St Johnstone  atm. The strikers I've mentioned all have assets that would compliment Callums formations, they'd probably be better partners for May as well. I'd also bet they would've taken some of the many squandered chances this season, Kane was guilty of about half a dozen against Hamilton and that was him having a  so called decent game.

I've somehow wandered up a dead end arguing Chris Kane's qualities as a goalscorer.  I've turned round now as nonchalantly as I can in the hope that nobody noticed.

The general point I was making is that overall I think we've got a better group of players than several teams in the bottom six.

Watched 20 minutes of the game and already seething and how pitiful the attack was.

Already got us ending 2 of our own counter attacks, including a chance of a 3v3 attack that's ending by McCann playing backwards towards a Hamilton player instead of running into the 20 yards of empty space in their half, while May wastes the chance of a 1v1 with their CB by sitting on top of Craig in midfield.

I won't even discuss his ridiculous fucking long range shot early on.

16 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Who cares man, we’d be going down with the cup. We would be joining an elite group of clubs including the likes of East Fife and Patrick Thistle that can claim to have won both the League and Scottish Cup. It is the dream.

It's a close one for me.  Promotions and relegations will forever be part of our story, but to look at the Scottish football honours list and see us rise from 21st equal with St Bernard's and others to 17th equal with Renton and a few other has beens...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_Scotland_by_major_honours_won

well, might it be worth it in the long run?

Spoiler

IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.6501f6f58794ec478e0c435148236028.JPG

Know folk don't care for these rating type things, but its just a bit of fun, and everything probably thinks im a sad c**t anyway so I'm hardly harming my reputation. My "report card" so far scores them out of 10, with the caveat % of mins played is a factor (how good is a player who never plays?) and those under 800 mins shouldnt really be included (marked them with an asterix), so scores will be slightly lower than they should be due to this...

* 0 score shit/ 5 average top flight player/ 10 elite top flight player

Goalkeepers

Parish - 2.8

Clark - 2.7

Defenders

McNamara - 9.3

McCart - 8.9

Kerr - 6.4

Gordon - 5.9

Tanser - 5.8

*Booth - 2

*Rooney - 1

Midfielders

Wotherspoon - 7.8

*Craig - 6.5

McCann - 5.3

Conway - 4

*MOH - 3.3

*Davidson - 2

*Bryson - 1.4

Strikers

May - 5.8

*Kane - 2.7

*Hendry - 0.2

*Melamed - 0

Edited by RandomGuy.

Know folk don't care for these rating type things, but its just a bit of fun, and everything probably thinks im a sad c**t anyway so I'm hardly harming my reputation. My "report card" so far scores them out of 10, with the caveat % of mins played is a factor (how good is a player who never plays?) and those under 800 mins shouldnt really be included (marked them with an asterix), so scores will be slightly lower than they should be due to this...
* 0 score shit/ 5 average top flight player/ 10 elite top flight player
Goalkeepers
Parish - 2.8
Clark - 2.7
Defenders
McNamara - 9.3
McCart - 8.9
Kerr - 6.4
Gordon - 5.9
Tanser - 5.8
*Booth - 2
*Rooney - 1
Midfielders
Wotherspoon - 7.8
*Craig - 6.5
McCann - 5.3
Conway - 4
*MOH - 3.3
*Davidson - 2
*Bryson - 1.4
Strikers
May - 5.8
*Kane - 2.7
*Hendry - 0.2
*Melamed - 0

Why is Rooney so low?

5 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Why is Rooney so low?

From memory his worst metrics were he hasn't played many minutes, loses more headers than he wins, pass completion very low, and beaten off the dribble lots, compared to average CB in the division.

It's a harsh system tbh. He seems to be beaten off the dribble, but then recover it due to his pace, but obviously it still counts initially as him being beaten.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Interested to see McCart score so highly.

He is very strong in the air, but can think of a few times he's cost us goals or given up  through his positioning or being beaten on the deck.  Accies away possibly a couple of times, and again in the first minute of Wednesday's match for Accies big chance.  Livi at home for their winner where he runs out of position to leave Robinson open.  Seem to recall he didn't defend too well for Celtics first at McDiarmid as well.

Hes decent, but it's probably hard for a scoring system to pick up moments of poor positioning etc.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Interested to see McCart score so highly.

He is very strong in the air, but can think of a few times he's cost us goals or given up  through his positioning or being beaten on the deck.  Accies away possibly a couple of times, and again in the first minute of Wednesday's match for Accies big chance.  Livi at home for their winner where he runs out of position to leave Robinson open.  Seem to recall he didn't defend too well for Celtics first at McDiarmid as well.

Hes decent, but it's probably hard for a scoring system to pick up moments of poor positioning etc.

His defensive duels win rate is (77.6%), which is one of the best in the league, they class a player as winning the duel if they prevent a pass/shot though, so him letting players past then blocking the shot, for example, would be registered as a win. Rooney allows more passes after the duel. Rest of his play is above average, whereas most other CBs have some form of "weak" area.

Kerr scores low on interceptions and passing ability (both fairly below average), and Gordon scores almost the lowest in the whole thing for amount of interceptions, which drags him a massive way down.

I've still not got enough CBs in yet tbh, only got this season, last season, and half of 18/19 I'm sure. Scores will change the more I add in, so the likes of Gordon/Kerr should rise as more players worse than them get added in, if that makes sense?

But aye, there's no "out of position" metric availabe, which you really need for CBs. System I have misses a lot of context. Sort of only testing it on the top flight to see how good it comes out, try and "age adjust" results well, then look at other leagues. 

For instance Kyle Connell at Airdrie comes out a promising striker in League 1. Not news but Kai Kennedy/Daniel Armstrong/Luke McGowan come out as really promising Championship wingers, yer man Regan Hendry and Scott Allardice as CMs in the Championship. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Stats comparing the likes of Kerr, McCart and Gordon with each other and other defenders mean f**k all when they are asked to play certain roles and not to get involved in certain aspects of the game. It's the same as comparing McCann,  we can all see he's been asked to play about 4 different roles from the one he actually excels in. 

Stats do have their uses but to make stats up about every fucking stupid part of the game and every player leads you down paths that are plainly wrong. 

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Stats comparing the likes of Kerr, McCart and Gordon with each other and other defenders mean f**k all when they are asked to play certain roles and not to get involved in certain aspects of the game. It's the same as comparing McCann,  we can all see he's been asked to play about 4 different roles from the one he actually excels in. 

Stats do have their uses but to make stats up about every fucking stupid part of the game and every player leads you down paths that are plainly wrong. 

Aye, which is why I've tried to make it clear it's just me mucking about with things rather than anything too serious. Obviously can add/remove different bits if you wanted to see anything specific, I've just got everything in at the moment.

I just find it a handy database for comparing players on individual metrics over a long period of time, as its all in one place. Adding "scores" just there to draw the eye to certain players in leagues I don't know much about.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, which is why I've tried to make it clear it's just me mucking about with things rather than anything too serious. Obviously can add/remove different bits if you wanted to see anything specific, I've just got everything in at the moment.

I just find it a handy database for comparing players on individual metrics over a long period of time, as its all in one place. Adding "scores" just there to draw the eye to certain players in leagues I don't know much about.

Look you know my view on stats, I would rather you kept it in house tbh.

The thing is different systems emphasize the input of different players/positions. Every side plays different systems, It's not comparable imo. Stats about certain things are fine but I just find it too much when every aspect of every move has been broken down and compared with so called similar moves. It's not and there is no need. Just my opinion you batter in with yours though, I'll just try and stay out.

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The thing is different systems emphasize the input of different players/positions. Every side plays different systems, It's not comparable imo. 

I agree, which is why I'm just mucking about with this, and why I use success rates rather than sum totals. Gordon has far less defensive duels p90 than Odoffin at Hamilton, as we're a more dominant side, but Gordon's win % is far higher, so I have Gordon far above Odoffin in that category.

It's just a handy place to have everything in one place. If we want a dominant CB I can have them all filtered by aerial success. If you want a defender who brings the ball out of defence and passes it on I'd only look at the progressive figures.

Same with strikers. Dykes rates poorly as an overall forward, as he played as a  isolated striker striker didn't set up many chances compared to the likes of MacLean, yet if you look purely at aerial duels/goals/defensive figures for him, he comes out near the top.

Just now I just f**k about to find the best all round player for each position, with the ability to filter for specifics within it, because I've no particular target to look for. All about just being able to easily filter through ~200 players to find out who's worth a deeper look. It's a similar system I know Livingston use.

59 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's the same as comparing McCann,  we can all see he's been asked to play about 4 different roles from the one he actually excels in. 

Moving away from stats a bit, what role do folk think McCann is best in?

I think I maybe see his strengths slightly differently from others on here going by a few comments this season.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Moving away from stats a bit, what role do folk think McCann is best in?

I think I maybe see his strengths slightly differently from others on here going by a few comments this season.

I think he's best either in a 4 man midfield in a 442 or as one of 2 sitting in midfield and choosing his time to break forward in most other systems. This playing further forward stunts his play imo. He's best at breaking up play and keeping possession by moving it on then when the time is right bursting through.

McCann can do everything so that's what you want him to be doing. Having him deep or too far forward, like the Dunfermline game, isn't what I want to see. 

Just let him play, winning tackles, surging forward, making tackles etc... Basically, don't limit him.