Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Jason Kerr not in the squad through injury, hopefully nothing too serious…

Be fine for Thursday according to the match thread.

20 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Not sure where the new Finn's singing leaves May.

Was very meh again today and is surely 3rd choice for 1 spot, at best. Would absolutely love it if he could score a goal.

The dithering in front of goal was something else today. 

Although there's some suggestion the big lad isn't a central striker. 

Shame we couldn't get over the line today. Should be 6pts from 6 in my opinion.

May looked like he had no idea what to do with the ball when in space at the edge of the Well box.

Middleton looked good. Hopefully Eetu deal is done ASAP and we can see what he can offer.

1 hour ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Not sure where the new Finn's singing leaves May.

Was very meh again today and is surely 3rd choice for 1 spot, at best. Would absolutely love it if he could score a goal.

I'm not sure there'll be a 1-4, I think it'll be rotation and impact subs for the most part. May has his uses, so does Kane and MOH, you can also add Eetu into that, Hendry? Gtf.

May was always going to struggle today, he's never been a lone striker.

Zero idea what he was thinking for his chance, maybe make more sense from a different angle or something.

Our attacking play is actually something to behold, but mainly for the wrong reasons. Consistently making the wrong choices, honestly not sure if it can be put down to bad coaching or just stupid selfish decisions, but the amount of times someone ignored the obvious ball to try something that was never going to come off definitely went into double figures today.

Perhaps it's a mental block and the players have something in their mind that it's harder to open teams up in the final third so we must then try the hard ball, but Middleton is the only one who looks like he'll consistently make a good decision and hold others to account for their bad choices.

Someone needs to read the paragraph in Zlatan's autobiography and test it out with Stevie May - Capello just took him out and had someone fire balls at him on the instructions to shoot and nothing else, that moment at the start of the game when he was central, in the clear, steadied and had a clear path to goal and still didn't want to shoot was worrying

MOH has zero goalscoring insticts so it's pointless playing him as a forward to get on the end of crosses, he also needs a few seconds to react to anything and by then the ball is gone

Defence is strong enough to cope with most, but we simply can't score from open play unless something is gifted to us

May is a fantastic runner, but I don’t know where he’s lost his shooting instinct.

I’m absolutely convinced McInnes coached it out of him before he left Aberdeen.

It’s a concern to me that we’ve not addressed the most glaringly obvious weakness this summer. Hopefully Vertainen is enough to address that, but I can’t help but feel we need a striker who’s first instinct is to score goals. 

The rest of the team looked excellent at times today. A lot of good possession based play, defence generally solid. The midfield tired towards the end but were fine prior to that as well. 

I’d question the use of substitutions today. Craig coming off is absolutely fair enough, but Middleton looked fresh on the right and May didn’t start in Istanbul. We ended up with 9 of the starting 11 from Thursday on the pitch at the end of the game today, and one of those changes was enforced, no doubt Kerr would’ve made it 10. 

17 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It’s a concern to me that we’ve not addressed the most glaringly obvious weakness this summer. Hopefully Vertainen is enough to address that, but I can’t help but feel we need a striker who’s first instinct is to score goals. 

Almost like never preparing for windows coming up and instead just extending deals for players you sort of trust not to be hopeless is a bad idea...

Thankfully that shouldn't be an issue for us going forward.

Edited by RandomGuy.