Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

This comment doesn't read as well as I think Davidson thinks it does, tbh, especially that first sentence.

I think it totally depends on how the set up at saints is working. If HoRand Scott Boyd are working on getting players lined up and offered deals etc and they’ve gone to Callum with Ciftci as a target then that is fine. 

Cammy MacPherson back training.

17 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

A wee rumor doing the rounds that Liam Craig is returning to Falkirk on a Player / Coach deal.

Anyone heard anything or is this likely just transfer window bollocks?

Liam Craig also trained today.

49 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

A wee rumor doing the rounds that Liam Craig is returning to Falkirk on a Player / Coach deal.

Anyone heard anything or is this likely just transfer window bollocks?

That would be a huge blow, not so much on the pitch these days but certainly off the pitch. He’s fantastic at the club and feels like a natural successor to the manager at some point down the line. I think his legs have gone a bit this season but I reckon he’d still be very effective 2 leagues down. 

Of all the dads army midfielders we have, he’d be the last one I’d want to leave the club.  

I could see Liam Craig going on loan to Falkirk but, my gut instinct is that there's a job at Saints for him when the boots are hung up.

There's maybe been a few players you've thought that about admittedly but I feel even more so with Liam Craig. 

Could be wrong! 

9 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Someone who would try a different formation/system when on an 8 game losing streak 

Ok so who… Hibs fans moaned about Ross being too stubborn at times. Wright was stubborn so who would you want?

5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

"Like signing a new player" is what Davidson will say when confirming McPherson is fit and we've not signed anybody else.

When he’s fit and we’re announcing he’s a permanent signing no doubt. 

11 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

Ok so who… Hibs fans moaned about Ross being too stubborn at times. Wright was stubborn so who would you want?

I would’ve taken McInnes back but obviously too late now. I’d be happy with John McGlynn. I don’t know who’s available or realistic. If Davidson was to leave tomorrow who would you want to take over? 

Just now, Dick Van Dyke said:

I would’ve taken McInnes back but obviously too late now. I’d be happy with John McGlynn. I don’t know who’s available or realistic. If Davidson was to leave tomorrow who would you want to take over? 

If he was to leave tomorrow personally I would be struggling outside of Macca taking over. Petrie maybe from Montrose? Outside of that there would not be anyone I would even consider 

8 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

I’d personally prefer a manager who would look to build a squad for the future and not just look to bring in short term fixes, whether it’s short term signings or loans. Hoping Gallacher and Cleary are a sign that he’s going to do that, but Ciftci and a lesser extent Crawford fly in the face of that. I also worry about his abilities (or lack of) at spotting a player and reading a room. Crawford getting a 2 and a half year contract is a mind bogglingly bad decision given how he’s played after a relatively promising start. Also remain to be convinced at his abilities to build a good, balanced squad.  now that Wright’s team are either gone or leaving.  He’s also struggled to get any of our better players to sign long term extensions, even after the high of a cup double last summer.

I don’t like the shape we play or how inflexible it is, it’s inconceivable to me that we’ve lost 8 in a row and not tried changing the shape beyond 5-3-2 to 5-2-3. I don’t like how he hangs some players out to dry - one in particular for a very tenuous reason - and let’s others off with far worse mistakes/indiscretions in a game. I also think that, whilst Wright was pragmatic, the football Davidson wants us playing is soul suckingly shite. He wants energy and efficiency over flair and ability, which would be fine if we’re winning, but we’re not and it’s dire to watch. 

they say you shouldn’t go back but I’d trust Tommy Wright or Derek McInnes far more with the considerable resources Davidson has been given as an example. I also think they’d do a better job at convincing people to join us, McInnes in particular was brilliant at that. If I’m not allowed to pick them, I’d hope we’d have a conversation with Jack Ross about taking over. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’d personally prefer a manager who would look to build a squad for the future and not just look to bring in short term fixes, whether it’s short term signings or loans. Hoping Gallacher and Cleary are a sign that he’s going to do that, but Ciftci and a lesser extent Crawford fly in the face of that. I also worry about his abilities (or lack of) at spotting a player and reading a room. Crawford getting a 2 and a half year contract is a mind bogglingly bad decision given how he’s played after a relatively promising start. Also remain to be convinced at his abilities to build a good, balanced squad.  now that Wright’s team are either gone or leaving.  He’s also struggled to get any of our better players to sign long term extensions, even after the high of a cup double last summer.

I don’t like the shape we play or how inflexible it is, it’s inconceivable to me that we’ve lost 8 in a row and not tried changing the shape beyond 5-3-2 to 5-2-3. I don’t like how he hangs some players out to dry - one in particular for a very tenuous reason - and let’s others off with far worse mistakes/indiscretions in a game. I also think that, whilst Wright was pragmatic, the football Davidson wants us playing is soul suckingly shite. He wants energy and efficiency over flair and ability, which would be fine if we’re winning, but we’re not and it’s dire to watch. 

they say you shouldn’t go back but I’d trust Tommy Wright or Derek McInnes far more with the considerable resources Davidson has been given as an example. I also think they’d do a better job at convincing people to join us, McInnes in particular was brilliant at that. If I’m not allowed to pick them, I’d hope we’d have a conversation with Jack Ross about taking over. 

Whilst I agree with what you are saying about changing formation and style, that is one thing that Hibs fans complained about with Ross - who, outside of Alloa & St mirren, has really struggled when in charge, and even then with both of them he had a good core of players for their level before going there.

The building the core part brings it back to what the HOR’s responsibilities are - if he is to bring in the players is that who he is bringing in, and if not what exactly is the point in having him (personally I’m not a fan and have made that clear) 

Mcciness I can understand however at Aberdeen one of the main criticisms of him was he was too defensive - although I agree with getting players in which he did have an amazing knack of