Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

See I see a lot of folk saying that, but I think we played well in the first half and the changes weren't a disaster or the reason we went on to lose.
Booth and May probably feel hard done by, but I don't think Booth hasn't set up a single chance this season while Middleton has looked more dangerous than May since the break and ended up winning us the penalty with a run May wouldn't be making. The manager made brave changes to try and make us more attacking and for 45 minutes it looked like it would work.
The change of shape was right in theory too, we needed to get more numbers in attack, but we just don't have the players on the bench just now to change shape effectively.

This is what I mean about tweaks rather than wholesale changes though. Middleton in, fine he deserved it. Switching a defensive wing back for a more expansive one, also fine. But doing both wing backs, Middleton in and dropping Butterfield when Hallberg is already suspended made us disjointed. We weren’t bad but weren’t great either.

55 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

Am I alone in not being particularly impressed by Cleary so far? Does some decent stuff going forward, but he seems fairly slow and cumbersome defensively, plus his body positioning is all wrong a lot of the time. Seems to get caught front-on and flat footed quite often, making it far too easy for players to get past him. 

No, I was thinking much the same to be honest.

I'd also add that I've been a bit disappointed with Buterfield too. Looks OK in patches, but was expecting more.

Neither are bad signings as such, but don't think they will be the ones to drag us out of the position we are in.

28 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

This is what I mean about tweaks rather than wholesale changes though. Middleton in, fine he deserved it. Switching a defensive wing back for a more expansive one, also fine. But doing both wing backs, Middleton in and dropping Butterfield when Hallberg is already suspended made us disjointed. We weren’t bad but weren’t great either.

I dunno, I still think it's fine.

Brown and Booth have had 3 games in a row, with 2 against 2 sides in awful form, and contributed nothing in attack, I don't think either can complain about being dropped if the manager thinks Gallacher/Sang offer more in attack, I'd rather we didn't pick underperforming players simply because we're afraid of making changes tbh.

May had 2 games beside his preferred partner and he neither threatened to really score or create anything. There's obviously more to folks games than that but Middleton had set up a goal and come close in like 15 minutes over the past two games. 

St Mirrens midfield fight and scrap for everything. Butterfield is soft as shit and it showed when he came on, any CM with energy and a bit of bite will just run over him. Him getting chased by Alan Power, being unable to get a new angle for a pass because he can't move, then collapsing to the ground and just lying there, not long after coming on, was both hilarious and tragic, Davidson makes more sense in this game. The rest of the midfield is a mess and I've no idea why they didn't do more there in January.

I don't see us offering any more in attack with Brown/Booth/Butterfield/May on the park and honestly I don't think we look any better with any of them on the park either. We've spent too long rewarding players who do a lot of meaningless things and contribute nothing to us winning games, I'm happy to see an attempt to roll the dice at this stage.

Edited by RandomGuy.

No, I was thinking much the same to be honest.
I'd also add that I've been a bit disappointed with Buterfield too. Looks OK in patches, but was expecting more.
Neither are bad signings as such, but don't think they will be the ones to drag us out of the position we are in.
I like Cleary, I think he looks pretty solid and has a bit of dig about him.

For me, Butterfield seems to fade out of games when he starts. He is good early on, wants the ball etc but 2nd half (recent United game for example) I thought he looked like he ran out of steam.

I do think there is some promise in Hallberg alongside him providing the legs. Of what I have seen of Hallberg he is very tidy on the ball and wants to get forward.

Both still adapting and whilst he has his moments, Clearly gets pass marks from me thus far. Butterfield a different story. Another one of these players who manage to get smaller when they jump and as has been said before, drifts out of games all too often. All told, he’s probably one of the better options from a really poor bunch 

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dunno, I still think it's fine.

Brown and Booth have had 3 games in a row, with 2 against 2 sides in awful form, and contributed nothing in attack, I don't think either can complain about being dropped if the manager thinks Gallacher/Sang offer more in attack, I'd rather we didn't pick underperforming players simply because we're afraid of making changes tbh.

May had 2 games beside his preferred partner and he neither threatened to really score or create anything. There's obviously more to folks games than that but Middleton had set up a goal and come close in like 15 minutes over the past two games. 

St Mirrens midfield fight and scrap for everything. Butterfield is soft as shit and it showed when he came on, any CM with energy and a bit of bite will just run over him. Him getting chased by Alan Power, being unable to get a new angle for a pass because he can't move, then collapsing to the ground and just lying there, not long after coming on, was both hilarious and tragic, Davidson makes more sense in this game. The rest of the midfield is a mess and I've no idea why they didn't do more there in January.

I don't see us offering any more in attack with Brown/Booth/Butterfield/May on the park and honestly I don't think we look any better with any of them on the park either. We've spent too long rewarding players who do a lot of meaningless things and contribute nothing to us winning games, I'm happy to see an attempt to roll the dice at this stage.

We signed 3 CMs in January - Crawford and MacPherson being 2 of them.

I think that tells us all we need to know.

Let’s face it, Calum won two cups and top six with mainly Tommy’s team.
This season has been a disaster due to poor planning and this is unforgivable.
I hope but cannot see us getting any higher than eleventh.
Whatever the end is Calum has to either resign or be sacked at the end of the season along with the coaches.
What a disappointment this season must have been for all our new season ticket holders who bought on the back of our success. How many will renew?
Most of us regulars will renew as usual.

6 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

We signed 3 CMs in January - Crawford and MacPherson being 2 of them.

I think that tells us all we need to know.

Aye, and that was with the knowledge Wotherspoon was out for the season.

We really need a left sided attacking midfielder. I think hes sticking with Crawford simply because he poses some form of attacking threat and the midfield needs that. Butterfield/Craig/Gilmour/Davidson aren't getting high up the park making keepers work/getting goals. MacPherson and Hallberg both right sided.

I'm still a bit bemused the didn't bring Cammy Ballantyne back in once it seemed clear they wouldn't be able to sign anyone. I don't for a second think hed be the answer but at least it would give us an alternative to Crawford whos used to playing high up the park.

8 minutes ago, Saint Huck said:

Davidson signed him.  It looks like he's going to stick with him through thick or thin.

Yeah its my main sticking point with him.

Like I can write a lot off to inexperience/bad luck, even signing Crawford on loan as a back up to Wotherspoon isn't horrendous.

But to then offer him a permanent deal, play him regularly, and not sign a better alternative in January, is brutal and theres no defence for it.

1 hour ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

I liked the look of Charlie Gilmour last night. Composed and some nice touches. Looking to move us forward. So that was a positive.

That’s all I’ve got, sorry.

Nope, not for me. He might do as a back up in the championship.

Gallacher looks utter mince as well, looks like early Tanser without the delivery.

Edit, I thought Crawford wasn't as bad as he has been last night. Sure he's not very good at tracking back etc but he at least had a few shots and was close to catching Alnwick out with one that moved a fair bit in the air.

Edited by tree house tam

Yes Gallacher poor so far. A few good crosses at kelty, but cancelled out by shite play giving away the goal. I'd have Booth in there ahead of him every game right now. But I'd persevere with Sang. Agree about Cleary, looks slow and cumbersome at times, but I still think the back three has looked far better with him in there than it did before Christmas. I'd stick with Cleary-Gordon-McCart.

We were good and in control of that game for 35 minutes, so the selections weren't all wrong. Middleton looks like he's coming back into a bit better form.

We hit the panic button too early with the 3 changes after the Mirren' second goal. I get the point about feeling the need to do something, but we lost any rhythm at all at that stage with a complete square pegs in round holes approach. I'd go:

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart

Sang Butterfield Hallberg Booth

Crawford

Hendry Cifti (Middleton If Cifti not fit)

As bad as Crawford can look at times, and he did look terrible for 50 minutes last night, he's a goal threat. He gets into great positions and also has a good strike. Hit the bar v Kelty and Utd, scored v Livi, forced a great save last night.

We're a team who has gone months' of games with barely a shot at goal, I don't think we can leave that out, so I'm prepared to carry him in matches at times as long as he's getting into scoring positions and takes chances. If there was a nailed on top quality midfielder to start instead then fair enough, but there isn't unfortunately.

To lighten the mood, every statistical way I've went looking at performances this season, or trying to predict what comes after the season so far, has us comfortably finishing bottom.

In terms of our own performance we've had worse spells defensively and survived (that spell covering the end of 16/17 and start of 17/18 arguably a worse, longer, period of defensive weakness), but never before had such a gulf between it and attacking play. TW was always able to keep a consistent level to our attacking play which I guess is maybe what you need? Defensive stuff can vary and that will decide your fate, but you'll always be fine if you carry a genuine attacking threat?

alltime.thumb.png.855f4583cd13c514aa2bd7a1d5133750.png

36 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Looking forward to not being disappointed and feeling like killing myself tomorrow.

I'm amusing myself by trying to recreate Football Manager in real life.

Early drafts are getting basic but fun.

new.png.bdb9fde73b067cb359c162c7324a52f3.png