Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, McG said:

Can’t believe that Kelty mob beat you lot.

Can’t see how it’s a surprise to be honest. You saw us in the flesh 4 days ago, second half performance sums up how we’ve played all season.  

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Can’t see how it’s a surprise to be honest. You saw us in the flesh 4 days ago, second half performance sums up how we’ve played all season.  

Thought you were decent against us 1st half and seeing that Kelty team today i find it hard to believe they beat you.

1 hour ago, McG said:

Thought you were decent against us 1st half and seeing that Kelty team today i find it hard to believe they beat you.

Exactly. That nonsense about them being a championship side - they’re not. An 18 year old broke up the wing, delivered a great cross and Kelty scored and won. We were garbage.

1 hour ago, McG said:

We had by far the best chances in 90 minutes, to the point I'm not even sure Kelty had a shot on target. We're shit in front of goal though, and have no threat out wide, so Kelty could happily keep their wingers high to counter us knowing their full backs wouldn't be tested.

Extra time was headed to penalties until we lost a goal from our corner. As you've seen, as soon as we concede we just completely collapse, and Kelty then battered us on the counter as the players half heartedly tried to get back into the game.

So aye. Kelty didn't play well enough to beat a Premiership side and it was clear to everyone they'd be rinsed if they draw a competent top flight side, but fortunately for them they weren't playing a top flight side in the last round.

Aberdeen seem to be in some turmoil, and played a tough game on an atrocious bog of a pitch today. Feels like the type of situation where a struggling St Johnstone go to Pittodrie, completely outfight them, and get a battling 1-0 victory.

We need a St Johnstone performance on Tuesday as much as the points. Hallberg being back will be a massive bonus, hes already looking a massive upgrade on the other RCM options. Start May and Middleton?

Clark

Sang - Cleary - Gordon - McCart - Booth

Hallberg - Davidson

Middleton - Hendry - May

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen seem to be in some turmoil, and played a tough game on an atrocious bog of a pitch today. Feels like the type of situation where a struggling St Johnstone go to Pittodrie, completely outfight them, and get a battling 1-0 victory.

We need a St Johnstone performance on Tuesday as much as the points. Hallberg being back will be a massive bonus, hes already looking a massive upgrade on the other RCM options. Start May and Middleton?

Clark

Sang - Cleary - Gordon - McCart - Booth

Hallberg - Davidson

Middleton - Hendry - May

I’d go for that, but with Ciftci for Middleton if he’s available.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I'd go along with that change, and consider MOH for RWB. 

I thought Sang was poor in Paisley. 

ETA no online ticket sales for Tuesday?

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

28 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I think we need to be careful with Ciftci coming back, no point letting him injure himself again. We'll need him to play his part.

Plus I think you can pressure Aberdeens FBs into mistakes. May/Middleton more likely to defend wide well than Ciftci or Hendry IMO.

Only issue is Hendry has never really worked up front alone, as such. He seems more mature and rounded just now but I worry hes simply trying to prove a point and when that wears off we'll see a return to the poor version.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Maybe. But do we have time to play it safe?

If you think we have a chance of 10th, then no.

If you think the play offs is our only route to stay up, then yes.

Thats how I see it. Any potential play off game is 3 months away. We obviously need wins and quick to even think about finishing 11th but chucking half fit players in has already cost us IMO. Hallberg red card v United was down to fatigue, Ciftci injury v Dundee down to fatigue, neither happens if both are fit. Its understandable gambles to be taking but I just think we now know we can't reach 10th so we need to be sensible.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats how I see it. Any potential play off game is 3 months away. We obviously need wins and quick to even think about finishing 11th but chucking half fit players in has already cost us IMO. Hallberg red card v United was down to fatigue, Ciftci injury v Dundee down to fatigue, neither happens if both are fit. Its understandable gambles to be taking but I just think we now know we can't reach 10th so we need to be sensible.

Championship forum for this pish.

Surprised to see a shout for a return to 5-2-3 as Hendry looks to be our main threat just now and has always played better in a front 2.

I get the point about closing down Aberdeen’s struggling full backs, but haven’t we been poor when we’ve played the 3 up this season? At times in the past 3 matches we’ve looked far more like a football side capable of defending and creating.

I think the bedding in of the new players is enough of a challenge, and we shouldn’t look to over complicate things.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're right about being careful with Ciftci.  But Hallberg's red against United was down to the ref being fucking useless, nothing else. 

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Surprised to see a shout for a return to 5-2-3 as Hendry looks to be our main threat just now and has always played better in a front 2.

I get the point about closing down Aberdeen’s struggling full backs, but haven’t we been poor when we’ve played the 3 up this season? At times in the past 3 matches we’ve looked far more like a football side capable of defending and creating.

I think the bedding in of the new players is enough of a challenge, and we shouldn’t look to over complicate things.

Aye that's all fair, tbh. I just don't think it's  a game for Crawford, and we'll need Middleton on the park to counter. I don't like Middleton central so him on a wing with May on the other, where he drifts anyway, would allow Middleton to start wide.

Sang seems quite athletic so we could maybe have a really dangerous right hand side for turnovers with Sang, Hallberg and Middleton. The Celtic LB on loan at them looks a huddy who can lose the ball a lot, so it all ties in.

I want us to play better football and be more exciting, but ultimately away to Aberdeen I think our best chance of winning is sucking them up the park and trying to exploit their mistakes, so set up in a way that allows that.