Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Enjoyed Davidson saying in his Sportscene post-match interview that we've played worse at Tynecastle and got results while he was a player or assistant manager. 

He had to say the second bit because we've meekly lost all three of our games at Tynecastle under Davidson.

Tommy Wright's Tynecastle record: 

won: 3

Drawn: 2

Loss: 6

Scored: 13

Conceded: 17

Davidson's:

Won: 0

Drawn: 0

Lost: 3

scored: 2

Conceded: 8

He's seriously dreadful.

In fairness, I thought we did play well for the first hour, and just an unlucky deflected goal saw us behind.

Up to that point it was the most football we’ve played in a while. The second goal heralded a 15 minute collapse where I feared we’d be on the end of a heavy doing.

Hearts are a different animal now from the one Tommy Wright came up against when they had good seasons but overall were a bit of a yo-yo club. Look at the squad they’ve bought ffs. Alan Forrest, livingston’s best attacking player for a few years and a former target of ours, is a fringe player and came on as their 4th or 5th sub.  Ultimately we weren’t good enough in either box.

The next run of fixtures against teams below and around us in the battle for top six will give a good indication of where we are currently at; Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Ross County, Livingston and Hibs.

Hope I’m wrong, but personally I don’t think we’ll make up the gap. I don’t see us capable of stringing a run of 4-5 wins together or getting enough goals to do so.  I’ll still be slightly concerned looking down the way of Utd find a win or two pre-split to be honest.

St Mirren still have to go to hearts and rangers before the split. Livi look to have fairly easy run of fixtures though their form has fallen off a cliff since they pumped us at McDiarmid, only winning 1 out of 6.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Alan Forrest, livingston’s best attacking player for a few years and a former target of ours, is a fringe player and came on as their 4th or 5th sub. 

And our 4th sub was either Jamie Murphy or David Wotherspoon.

FWIW, this is TWs points per game figures v Davidsons for us.

TW numbers first then CDs.

Bold is the best record of the two

Aberdeen: 1.18 v 0.8

Celtic: 0.37 v 0.09

United: 2.08 v 1.3

Hearts: 1.55 v 0.67

Hibs: 1 v 1.54

Kilmarnock: 1.22 v 2.4

Livingston: 1.75 v 1.27

Motherwell: 1.8 v 1.8

Rangers: 0.71 v 0.58

County: 1.59 v 1.13

St Mirren: 1.75 v 1.58

TW: 8 - CD: 2

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 05/03/2023 at 09:27, PauloPerth said:

Falkirk’s highlights yesterday.

0-0 for first 58 minutes so skip on.  Worth watching beyond Max’s goal. The 3rd and 4th by Craig McGuffie are brilliant goals.

Imagine supporting a team that scores 5 goals and entertains.

We can only dream

55 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Imagine supporting a team that scores 5 goals and entertains.

We can only dream

I mean, I get your point but you're basically asking us to imagine supporting a team in Scottish League 1. Pass.

How about that McGuffie halfway line goal though? I had no idea he had scored a goal like that in the game. If a Hearts player had scored that we'd be talking about it for decades.

39 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I mean, I get your point but you're basically asking us to imagine supporting a team in Scottish League 1. Pass.

How about that McGuffie halfway line goal though? I had no idea he had scored a goal like that in the game. If a Hearts player had scored that we'd be talking about it for decades.

Just as well the MSM/Sportsound clique have a broad and deep coverage of our national sport eh? Oh wait...

Davidson should be judged on his whole time in the job. First season very patchy but last 3-4 months of that season excellent. The next season was pish. Complete and utter pish. This season is slightly better but with the money thrown at it I think any c**t could have done better. The same issues keep happening with the same outcomes. Personally, I don't think he knows what he's doing.

19 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Davidson should be judged on his whole time in the job. First season very patchy but last 3-4 months of that season excellent. The next season was pish. Complete and utter pish. This season is slightly better but with the money thrown at it I think any c**t could have done better. The same issues keep happening with the same outcomes. Personally, I don't think he knows what he's doing.

This is it. We’re in a constant cycle of being shite, changing something, getting better, then reverting back to what we were doing before. 

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

This sums Saints under Davidson perfectly.  He'll claim it's been a good season. 

Would the Motherwell fans today describe their season as "good?"

Motherwell are 1 point behind Saints now. 

Not to speak on behalf of all 'well fans I think our season would be best described as "a fucking shitshow".

Amusingly, as it stands, we're not only just 1pt behind you but you've lost more games than us as well.

To speak to your broader point, similar seasons to this have seen Motherwell managers either resign (Robinson 20/21 - 17 pts after 19 games - we were on 19 pts at the same stage this season) or be sacked (McGhee 16/17 - 24 pts after 26 games - 26 pts at the same stage this season).

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Nah I'm not.

Peterhead are bottom and shite. 

Falkirk are better and attacked them and scored plenty goals.

We never do that.

The league is irrelevant.

Na, I’m with bonksy and jama here, getting double relegated and looking like world beaters against part-time teams would get old pretty quickly.

Been there done that and it was great on the way up getting promoted and seeing great attacking football but that’s with a view to getting to the big league.

We’re not particularly attacking or exciting to watch, but outwith the top three in this league, is there a fanbase that do think that about their team? Genuinely don’t know the answer to that, there might well be.

I just think this league is full of a lot of average/ poor hardworking teams that cancel each other out resulting in close cagey matches.  Seems hard to believe, but there’s 5 teams out of the other 11 that have scored less goals than us in the premiership this season.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Doubt it. Humphrys scored a goal from his own half against Dundee United this season and you’ve forgotten about it already.

26 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Nah I'm not.

Peterhead are bottom and shite. 

Falkirk are better and attacked them and scored plenty goals.

We never do that.

The league is irrelevant.

Of course the league is relevant though. Vale of Earn stuck 5 by Breadalbane at the weekend there - why can’t we attack like them!

Btw I’m not trying to justify Callum’s negative and shite football. But do I f**k want to be anything like Falkirk.

The lower leagues are only fun when youre winning. Its the only opportunity we'll ever have to be in a title race/celebrate winning a league.

The Gretna season remains probably my favourite of all time, despite the ending, and im fairly sure thats almost totally because its the only genuine title fight i can remember us having in my time going (my memory is we were nowhere near it next season then strolled it the season after). Thatll never be replicated without a relegation coming first. Chasing European spots/top 6 great in its own way, but it isnt the same.

If youre a middling/shit lower league side its just a worse version of being a shite top flight side. 

Not a fan of these types of statements.

Inevitably bites you on the arse. Nice to see some ambition at the club publicly, combined with Davidson half suggesting we can make the top half, but im not sure this is the way to go about it really.