Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, mizfit said:

Between their ultras treating Perth like a big day out and their fans obsession over our finances I’m concerned about what’s in the Paisley water supply.

Theyre going to finally win their "made the top 6" trophy, so presumably theyre all buzzed off their tits.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Was it the jealousy tainted smouldering hatred for all things St Johnstone or the sorry excuse for banter that gave you that impression?

Both.

I think anyone thinking that the Browns have in any way 'financed' saints, clearly hasn't been paying any attention over the last 30+ years.

At a guess, I'd say we are probably the only club in the top flight and probably top 2 divisions that hasn't had an owner had to push cash into them in some way, either to invest or clear debt? 

I’m sure Stewart Cosgrove has previously mentioned the fact he’s seen a blueprint for a new modern fully enclosed stadium. I may have been reading too much into it but I’m sure he’s mentioned “a further out of town” location. Which BoE def fits into.

I’m also sure one of the Browns has complained about the size of the site that McDiarmid sits in in relation to having to clear the approach when the weather is icy/ snowy. So makes sense on that front that they’d be looking at something with tighter footprint and at least slightly separated Training facilities.

The land McDiarmid sits on is probably the most valuable it has ever been and they’ve already cleaned the farm buildings for their next boring housing development. 

I def like the Tulloch Marshalling Yard idea or one I had as a kid (many many years ago) that involved building a stadium on moncrieff island. (I now appreciate that is nonsense but it’d be cool)

Absolutely echo Random Guy’s suggestion that club should be looking at some of the space around the current ground to put in some extra bars/facilities to make it more welcoming/worthwhile to visit the ground.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Club shop opening up at the crieff rd bus stop, fence enclosed festival type outdoor bar behind it with shutters that slide down when not in use. Small stage at the side, job done without even altering any entrances/exits.

It’s a great shout that. Could convert the Muirton into a smaller less fancy hospitality suite as well. 

Maybe even turn it into a miniature club museum. 

We all know this is a pipe dream however.

Think it probably all comes down to whether or not those levels of investment would be seen to be value for money, would it produce more long term income? 

Guessing probably not. 

Another thing they in an ideal hypothetical world could do is build a bigger gym space there as well. Not seen the gym space ad McDiarmid for years but it was always said to be partly why they trained at Stirling uni etc. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Said on here a couple of years ago the Lesser South Inch as well. Back to our roots.

Perth Council should be pushing this as it would breathe life into an ailing city centre, and bring money into the pubs, cafes and restaurants. As it is you barely know Saints are playing at home if you go into the centre of Perth on a Saturday lunchtime. There’s little benefit to the city at all.

Should push for grants as we’d be a 10 minute walk from the train and bus station, encouraging the use of public transport.  

Arriving on the steam train at lunchtime take a stroll through the historic city centre to visit the Stone of Destiny, followed by a bit of lunch in the sun drenched piazza alongside St John’s Kirk.  After this a 5 minute walk along the tree lined Boulevard at the south inch brings you to the new ground,  where you will partake in mulled wine overlooking Scotland’s longest river in the fanzone, followed by the game; 8000, enclosed, close to the pitch.  Then a meal and drinks along Tay Street as the sun sets over the sparkling river.
Last train home back to some weegie hellhole content at a fine day out in the nation’s former capital.

@PauloPerthI agree. It would help to revitalise the town potentially and support the local businesses.

In reality to I imagine our council would be far less keen though. I imagine they'd be more focusing on things like "but the litter" and also very much against the idea of having football fans in the town centre every other weekend.

They've not seemed particularly forward thinking to me in the past. The whole sign fiasco in the North Stand as well as trying to remove our North Stand etc. 

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Think it probably all comes down to whether or not those levels of investment would be seen to be value for money, would it produce more long term income? 

Guessing probably not. 

Another thing they in an ideal hypothetical world could do is build a bigger gym space there as well. Not seen the gym space ad McDiarmid for years but it was always said to be partly why they trained at Stirling uni etc. 

If and it is clearly a big if, the club is sold, then expect the biggest changes on the McD site since the place was built and I believe a gym might be part of that. Obviously, the community trust needs the net proceeds from sale to come in. 

Whatever happens, if we stay at McD, whoever is in charge of the club has some big decisions to make over some of the essential works needed. New seats etc would be great, but the actual structures of the stands are going to need some costly works done in the not too distant future.

There has been all sorts of plans over the years mooted, from hotels to ice rinks (pre build), offices in corners and a roof over the astro, so the club has looked at plenty of ways to do things, but unless it is/was absolutely essential, nothing ever got done. 

All Hail Callum, Saviour of St Johnstone. 

Yet again shuffling the blame onto the players, FWIW.

One point taken from the last nine available at McDiarmid Park has been the cause of sights having to be lowered for the remaining seven games of the season, Davidson pointed out.

“We wanted to get into the top six but the last three games at home have cost us,” he said.

“We have had an experienced player sent off after two minutes against Aberdeen.

“The goal against Ross County it is a long goal kick and it was similar to Aberdeen.

“They did the same thing and scored as well, so these little things have to be better to build the momentum. You have to do the basics better.

Edited by RandomGuy.

These Davidson interviews don't move me at all any longer. Just empty, hollow words that he's given no thought to before allowing them to spill from his mouth.

I imagine even the journalists dread having to speak to him now.

Do any other teams train on a Wednesday then take Thursday off in a normal week?

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

These Davidson interviews don't move me at all any longer. Just empty, hollow words that he's given no thought to before allowing them to spill from his mouth.

I imagine even the journalists dread having to speak to him now.

Do any other teams train on a Wednesday then take Thursday off in a normal week?

I was of the impression most took Wednesday’s off, things could’ve moved on though