Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Agree with the sentiment about Millar being our best option in terms of the man to play alongside Davidson - no-one else in our team moves the ball through that area as well as he does, or gets themselves out of tight areas in front of our defence as well as he does. We badly missed him in, for example, the Thistle cup game.

However, I can see why this has happened if there are any doubts about his continuing fitness. He may well be ready to go now but is it the case that he'll have the same issues from a few months back, e.g. Starts game, pulls up injured after 20, subbed off, out for three weeks, starts next game and pulls up injured again. That happened several times over a spell and caused a lot of issues. He'll be on a good wage and I don't really object if he goes and it is spent on a further striking option, for example.

That said, if he could stay and force his way back in for one last season that would be more than welcome too!

2 minutes ago, deej said:

22 appearances according to Wiki. Not sure how many, if any were 90 minutes though.

Probably/ possibly that his top flight career is coming to a natural end anyway?

22 appearances according to Wiki. Not sure how many, if any were 90 minutes though.

Only 17 in the league and he missed most of September and October, played against Rangers at the end of October then had to be subbed off in the first half of the next game and wasn't seen again til mid December.

He was then ok til late February but was subbed on the hour away to Killie on Feb 25 and didn't play again til April 1, coming on for the final four minutes in the infamous Foster/Swanson rammy match at Hamilton. He made late sub appearances in the next two games before missing another two weekends and then starting away to Aberdeen on April 29. He was subbed off injured after 35 minutes in that one.

He missed the next couple of Saturdays but did manage to start the final two games of the season, playing 80 mins one week and the full 90 the following.

I think the big issue is that a) he's a cup winning legend and b) when he is fit his contribution is massive. But at least three of his 17 league appearances last season were from the bench as a late sub, and on at least three occasions he had to go off early through injury. I suppose here then has to be a calculation made about his wage and what value we're getting for that compared to reapplying it elsewhere?

Based on that, from a neutral pov, I'd agree with TW on this one. 

I think most folk maybe agree with the decision, only problems with the situation has been people spreading the rumour he's been frozen out unfairly (HSF, and I don't doubt her when it comes to things with Millar, just curious about her only getting one side of all this though), and the fact the club haven't actually mentioned anything about him for about six months.

Saints get run on a tight budget and there's no room for passengers.
Chris Millar has been immense for us and definitely deserves a testimonial.
I hope he can still turn out for 20 games a season and a Championship club is probably his level now.
All the best Chris wherever you end up.
I think he will end up in sports media once he retires.

Can any other top flight team provide such level of precision and detail, signing a player whose surname so closely matches the team name?

Is there a Michael Sevco waiting to be unearthed? Perhaps a David Academical?
There was Willie Kilmarnock, born in Irvine, but only played for Motherwell, Airdrie & Irvine Meadow thou.....

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

There was Willie Kilmarnock, born in Irvine, but only played for Motherwell, Airdrie & Irvine Meadow thou.....

The Staggies have had a Ross and a Dingwall in recent seasons too?

He wasn't injured last season. He was genuinely dropped so that he wouldn't trigger his contract extension. Eventually he did play but again Saints did not want to renew his contract on the same terms. It was sorted out and he started playing again. 

He hasn't found another club yet despite trying.

He wasn't injured last season. He was genuinely dropped so that he wouldn't trigger his contract extension. Eventually he did play but again Saints did not want to renew his contract on the same terms. It was sorted out and he started playing again. 

He hasn't found another club yet despite trying.

It sounds like TW has spoken with him during this entire saga though, it's not as if he's been dropped and never been told why.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I think it's an issue from both sides tbh.

As Jamie pointed out there was more than one instance where Midge was subbed off very early in matches.

Which pissed everyone including the manager off, caused a fair bit of finger pointing between the backroom staff with eventually the physio taking the blame, so I was told.

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Which pissed everyone including the manager off, caused a fair bit of finger pointing between the backroom staff with eventually the physio taking the blame, so I was told.

This was said by Chris himself at the past and present players night held in March at the Queens hotel with regard to season 15/16.