Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ballantyne feels like he'll get more chances than he maybe merits as he seemed to do so well for MacLean last season.

Suspect hes relatively cheap too.

Did ok v Kilmarnock but has been pretty disappointing other than that. Unfortunately your second point is probably the real reason if he’s kept on. 

48 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I completely forgot this happened so went and looked him up. He was there for that long?! 

He looked class when he signed on loan but kept picking up niggles.

Was fantastic after the split so we took a shot on him. Club announced it like a marquee signing.

Sent to Salford by January 🤣

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Surprised Stevens has gone to Alloa. 

The likes of Kane and co getting closer to fitness maybe?

Noticed that Kane was taking part in mini-games in the training clips today. Assume he's pretty close.

9 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Is he a good prospect? We are in desperate need of an attacker with a bit of pace and intelligent movement. 

He’s predominantly played out wide for us, not the biggest, but is a tenacious little b*****d who packs a decent turn of pace. He won’t stop chasing and hassling and is a sure fire bet to get booked every game. Don’t know how good he really is ultimately but he’s arguably been one of the only players to look decent for us this season so far. 

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Is he a good prospect? We are in desperate need of an attacker with a bit of pace and intelligent movement. 

Aye, I’d say so. Likes to run in behind when playing through the middle if memory serves, although he’s mainly played out wide for the first team so can’t say too much on his movement but he’s definitely got a bit of pace. Puts himself about a fair bit and likes a shot from distance. League One looks a pretty even league this year so should be a good move for him. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Paddy said:

Won't resign spoony as it will block the path of youngsters.

Fecks said youngsters out on loan, and loans in a heap of someone else's youngsters, to block the path of our own...?

Am I wrong?

I would say it was more to open up a pathway for Ballantyne and Max, than Ferguson, Mylchreest, Klimionek and Steven. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Paddy said:

Won't resign spoony as it will block the path of youngsters.

Fecks said youngsters out on loan, and loans in a heap of someone else's youngsters, to block the path of our own...?

Am I wrong?

The youngsters have been training with the first team all summer right up until the beginning of this week, all had a chance to show what they’re about and the management team have deemed them not yet ready, which I agree with.

38 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

The youngsters have been training with the first team all summer right up until the beginning of this week, all had a chance to show what they’re about and the management team have deemed them not yet ready, which I agree with.

Aye, this. Theyll all benefit more from 20+ games at a level suited to them rather then 10+ at a level beyond them.

Loans mean we should get higher quality in but also doesnt block the youngsters pathway, so they can try again next Summer.

Young players need patience wnd faith as much as anything. 

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Surprised Stevens has gone to Alloa. 

The likes of Kane and co getting closer to fitness maybe?

I'd read it more as there is someone else likely to come in. Might not be anything ready to announce as such, but maybe more an anticipation.

Need to mind that Kane inly has a 6 month deal, so unless he impresses massively when he returns, he will be away.

Actually growing ever confident with how the squad is shaping up. Still light, but we have time yet still to add. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Actually growing ever confident with how the squad is shaping up. Still light, but we have time yet still to add. 

On what grounds do you say this?

I’m not saying you’re wrong as I genuinely don’t know, but I feel our  signings have mostly been punts on young (early 20’s) players who have very little first team experience between them.

It may turn out to be a masterstroke as we unearth a few gems, but I do have concerns that a team off to a dreadful start throwing together a load of unproven players, without a pre-season to work on them as a group, is a big ask.