Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

55 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Only reaffirms how little we appeal to players. Often had this debate with fellow Saints fans who bleat "were a consistent top 6 side". Lets face it, players couldn't give a f**k about that. All about money. 

People will blame Tommy, more will blame Brown but the reality is we simply cannot complete financially and are not an appealing place to come and play. 

Blame them for what? Being out financed by an owner throwing his money around? I'd rather 'bleat' about being top 6 and our frustrating financial policy than splash the cash and get relegated. Yes it's annoying and yes it leaves a 'what if?' feeling but you can't argue that it hasn't worked very well for us over the last 10 years, much of the success being built around two players that accepted less money to join us than Motherwell and Dundee offered them.

57 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Blame them for what? Being out financed by an owner throwing his money around? I'd rather 'bleat' about being top 6 and our frustrating financial policy than splash the cash and get relegated. Yes it's annoying and yes it leaves a 'what if?' feeling but you can't argue that it hasn't worked very well for us over the last 10 years, much of the success being built around two players that accepted less money to join us than Motherwell and Dundee offered them.

Well... you've fairly misunderstood that.

My point was the fans who bleat about top 6 seriously think and suggest thats a reason why players would choose to sign for us. It simply isn't though. 

My second point is the boo brigade will be blamig Brown but the reality is the players just aren't interested regardless. 

On 08/06/2018 at 18:12, RandomGuy. said:

Michael O'Halloran rumours won't last long this Summer, as Melbourne City have apparently agreed a fee, and personal terms, for him. 

Only thing that could prevent it is if he decides he doesn't want to move to Australia over the next few days. 

On 08/06/2018 at 18:24, capt_oats said:

Not to pour cold water on that but is there not a thing with the A-League where they don't pay transfer fees? I seem to recall something along those lines when West Sydney Wanderers were trying to sign McDonald from us.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdonalds-move-australia-collapses-8460270

Edit to add: clearly every chance he could move there it's the fee bit that I'm sceptical about.

Now being reported O'Halloran will join them in "the next 48 hours".

Fee is no longer mentioned, just that "Rangers and O'Halloran have reached an agreement for him to move". 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Personally don’t know that missing out on Williams is much of a loss. Plenty potential but little end product.

My opinion on it will depend entirely on who we actually bring in. Williams didn't contribute much in raw stats, but in terms of quality you could see he had that in abundance, it'll just take a run of goals/assists and I felt like he'd be flying. 

If we replace him with someone who contributes those things then fine, if we sign someone who neither contributes, nor looks like ever contributing, I'll be hugely disappointed. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My opinion on it will depend entirely on who we actually bring in. Williams didn't contribute much in raw stats, but in terms of quality you could see he had that in abundance, it'll just take a run of goals/assists and I felt like he'd be flying. 

If we replace him with someone who contributes those things then fine, if we sign someone who neither contributes, nor looks like ever contributing, I'll be hugely disappointed. 

Pretty sensible post Random, Williams has great technique and showed lots of potential. He did however look like a 14 year old laddie who I'd be able to fart off the ball. I'd still have had him at Saints,  just not as a top earner.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Now being reported O'Halloran will join them in "the next 48 hours".

Fee is no longer mentioned, just that "Rangers and O'Halloran have reached an agreement for him to move". 

So they're conceding they'll have to pay him off and release him but the kicker is that he has to f**k off to the other side of the world. :lol:

Fwiw: fair fucks to him, it's by no means the worst move in the world and you'd think that City will be able to match whatever he's on at Ibrox. MOH has absolutely fucking rinsed them.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

So they're conceding they'll have to pay him off and release him but the kicker is that he has to f**k off to the other side of the world. :lol:

Fwiw: fair fucks to him, it's by no means the worst move in the world and you'd think that City will be able to match whatever he's on at Ibrox. MOH has absolutely fucking rinsed them.

And ruined his career in the process.

If he'd stayed with us, or at least made the right move, he would easily have been in that makeshift Scotland squad that went to Peru and Mexico.  He's lost 2-3 years at the prime of his career. Fair enough he made good money, hope it was worth it for him.

Me too. It’s a short career and a huge hike in wages for 4 and a half years. If it doesn’t work out, he can hold out for the full value of his contract and go back to a club like saints afterwards. A real no brainer imo. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Me too. It’s a short career and a huge hike in wages for 4 and a half years. If it doesn’t work out, he can hold out for the full value of his contract and go back to a club like saints afterwards. A real no brainer imo. 

29 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

You’d have to be extremely self confident and a big gambler to turn down 4 times your wage elsewhere. 

I’ve been known to have the flutter, I fucking hate Rangers, the horrible, right wing c***s and I’m Pack’d out my nut, but I’d have been singing the sash in a second for nine grand a week. 

5b2119ab0ddb2_giphy(2).gif.14ba9466e26a108f24ed98b63d1b2970.gif

Let's not forget O'Halloran was a rabid Celtic fan. He was never making it at Rangers, and there were rumours of Championship clubs watching him that season too. 

Feel like he was poorly advised. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Let's not forget O'Halloran was a rabid Celtic fan. He was never making it at Rangers, and there were rumours of Championship clubs watching him that season too. 

Feel like he was poorly advised. 

Neil McCann was a 'rabid' Celtic fan.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Neil McCann was a 'rabid' Celtic fan.

O'Halloran wasn't shy about his faith, and his dads a coach at Celtic. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

O'Halloran wasn't shy about his faith, and his dads a coach at Celtic. 

Either was McCann. He was the 2nd Scottish Catholic to join Rangers. I think you're leaping to the defence of O'Halloran when he simply wasn't good enough for a shite Rangers side and acted like a complete moron throughout his time there. 

The cards weren't stacked against him as the likes of McCann has proven. 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Either was McCann. He was the 2nd Scottish Catholic to join Rangers. I think you're leaping to the defence of O'Halloran when he simply wasn't good enough for a shite Rangers side and acted like a complete moron throughout his time there. 

The cards weren't stacked against him as the likes of McCann has proven. 

It's all subjective, but since their demise Rangers fans have been a lot more insular, MOH signing was never a success.