Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just promise to spill some more ITK info on here when you're rat arsed, pls. 

I know nothing, ask Widge :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Someone had heard & mentioned in here we were in talks Marcus Fraser. 

He signed a new deal with County.

Thank f**k, not sure that rumour was true tbh.

Michael O'Halloran rumours won't last long this Summer, as Melbourne City have apparently agreed a fee, and personal terms, for him. 

Only thing that could prevent it is if he decides he doesn't want to move to Australia over the next few days. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Michael O'Halloran rumours won't last long this Summer, as Melbourne City have apparently agreed a fee, and personal terms, for him. 

Only thing that could prevent it is if he decides he doesn't want to move to Australia over the next few days. 

Not to pour cold water on that but is there not a thing with the A-League where they don't pay transfer fees? I seem to recall something along those lines when West Sydney Wanderers were trying to sign McDonald from us.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdonalds-move-australia-collapses-8460270

Edit to add: clearly every chance he could move there it's the fee bit that I'm sceptical about.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

Not to pour cold water on that but is there not a thing with the A-League where they don't pay transfer fees? I seem to recall something along those lines when West Sydney Wanderers were trying to sign McDonald from us.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdonalds-move-australia-collapses-8460270

No idea tbh, just what I'd read. 

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is that purely a ban between Australian clubs or all over? 

I'll go all out and claim Man City will buy him and then loan him to Melbourne for the duration of his contract, they certainly owe them after the Aaron Mooy deal. 

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that purely a ban between Australian clubs or all over? 

I'll go all out and claim Man City will buy him and then loan him to Melbourne for the duration of his contract, they certainly owe them after the Aaron Mooy deal. 

Genuinely don't know. They've got a really weird situation with salary caps and limits on overseas players and what not. I really don't understand their rules tbh.

I'm only going by the gist of the McDonald situation with us. Basically he had just signed a new 1 year deal with us and about 3 weeks later there was interest from WSW but we, not unreasonably, insisted that they'd need to buy him. Which meant they dropped it quite quickly. I'm not sure it's as overt as not paying any fee whatsoever but it seemed to boil down to that.

Then in the January window they approached us again with a similar gambit; "can we sign Scott McDonald from you please?" we said not unless you pay a fee and they said "oh!" and he stayed til the end of the season. The expectation seemed to be that we'd just rip up his deal to allow him to move and they seemed surprised we didn't (twice).

Given the Rangers DoF was involved with City it's entirely possible that there's some sort of workarounds. Ross McCormack is currently with them and has scored an absolute barrowload.

Edit: the language here suggests that it is a thing.

McDonald, 32, signed a contract extension with Scottish Premier League club Motherwell earlier this month but it is believed he has since discussed the possibility of a release, which would need to occur if he was to play in the A-League.

Edited by capt_oats

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Genuinely don't know. They've got a really weird situation with salary caps and limits on overseas players and what not. I really don't understand their rules tbh.

I'm only going by the gist of the McDonald situation with us. Basically he had just signed a new 1 year deal with us and about 3 weeks later there was interest from WSW but we, not unreasonably, insisted that they'd need to buy him. Which meant they dropped it quite quickly. I'm not sure it's as overt as not paying any fee whatsoever but it seemed to boil down to that.

Then in the January window they approached us again with a similar gambit; "can we sign Scott McDonald from you please?" we said not unless you pay a fee and they said "oh!" and he stayed til the end of the season. The expectation seemed to be that we'd just rip up his deal to allow him to move and they seemed surprised we didn't (twice).

Given the Rangers DoF was involved with City it's entirely possible that there's some sort of workarounds. Ross McCormack is currently with them and has scored an absolute barrowload.

Edit: the language here suggests that it is a thing.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2758666/rangers-michael-ohalloran-australia-switch-melbourne-city/

Sun reckon Melbourne will make a cash offer. So I'm now thoroughly confused. 

Unless, of course, the Sun just copy stories from here and don't research it.. 

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2758666/rangers-michael-ohalloran-australia-switch-melbourne-city/

Sun reckon Melbourne will make a cash offer. So I'm now thoroughly confused. 

Unless, of course, the Sun just copy stories from here and don't research it.. 

I think it's Follow Follow that the story originally appeared and it wouldn't surprise me if that's where The Sun have lifted it from. 

As I say, I don't know anywhere near enough about the A-League to say one way or another but the impression from the McDonald thing was that it a general policy that the A-League clubs didn't pay fees.

It may well be the case that there are workarounds and it wouldn't be the first time that a Rangers related story was spun in a certain way to the media here to save face.

Edited by capt_oats

The shade of blue is still not right, but we're used to that by now.

Nope, not having that. We shouldn’t ever get used to it - it’s not the St Johnstone shade of Blue and anything else in a different shade should be immediately thrown in the fucking bin.

33 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Papers linking Saints with a move for Stevie Lawless and Abdul Osman.

What paper is that in mate? 

That would be the the most St Johnstone double signing ever. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What paper is that in mate? 

That would be the the most St Johnstone double signing ever. 

Not sure. Saw someone doing a round-up of the Scottish rumours.

I could see Lawless but Osman seems done. Then again a change of scenery could be the thing for him and Perthsire has beautiful scenery, tbf.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Osman two years ago was a signing a lot of Saints fans wanted, but being hounded out of a nothing club like Thistle doesn’t bode well for his prospects of getting a move to Perthshire. 

Thoughts on Lawless @jagfox99, is he still well thought of in Glasgow? 

Lawless was probably the main player Jags fans were in anyway sad to see go.

Didn't have a great season but he was in and out of the side and seemed to play wingback as much as his preferred attacking midfield role.

I reckon he'd be a decent signing for any of the likely bottom 6 no-marks in the Premiership :whistle

Osman? Who knows, as said above he could be rejuvenated by a change of club. 

9 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

A few guys felt we should attempt to sign Cammy Bell. Signed for Thistle. 

Perth bound? Rightly or wrongly I see this is the kind of signing we'd look to make. 

I think Cardles away to a League One side as a player/coach