Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

So he has scored the same amount of goals for Morton thday as he had for Saints in the past eight years then ??

More? I think he only scored that magical one against United for us. 

I know you've to take into account such as opposition, lower division, style of football played and stuff like that but I'm amazed he's scored one let alone two because most of the attempts that I saw for us were so absolutely awful it didn't look as if he could could hit the proverbial barn door no matter what. It wasn't as if he was getting scoring chances and just missing them or zinging 30 yarders an inch past the post, it was always 'OH FFS MIDGE, NO, please  just don't even try'.

I saw one of @Radford's dream, previously missed targets, Alan Smith, is without a club after being freed by Notts County. The 37 year old,  injury hit, ex-English league 2 midfielder must surely tick most Saints boxes now.

I know you've to take into account such as opposition, lower division, style of football played and stuff like that but I'm amazed he's scored one let alone two because most of the attempts that I saw for us were so absolutely awful it didn't look as if he could could hit the proverbial barn door no matter what. It wasn't as if he was getting scoring chances and just missing them or zinging 30 yarders an inch past the post, it was always 'OH FFS MIDGE, NO, please  just don't even try'.

He pretty regularly took up good positions on the edge of the box, and quite often got shots away when it broke to him in that area. They were almost inevitably sliced wide.

Only possible conclusions are he’s on some Wild West coast drug regime or the standard of goalkeeping in the Championship is absolutely rotten.

10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

He pretty regularly took up good positions on the edge of the box, and quite often got shots away when it broke to him in that area. They were almost inevitably sliced wide.

Only possible conclusions are he’s on some Wild West coast drug regime or the standard of goalkeeping in the Championship is absolutely rotten.

1st goal was after some nice passing inside the box and he smashed it past the goalie into the bottom corner. 2nd was a 25 yard shot hit very well right into the top right corner. 

More? I think he only scored that magical one against United for us. 

Definitely scored more than one. Can remember one in the league cup away to Hibs and one at Queen of the South in the league. But don’t know exact number without looking it up.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

You saw him a lot more than I did but I did sometimes see him in those positions, ones I'd expect a good midfielder like Midge to be in, and the result was mostly as you describe. I just classed him as one of those players whose abilities lay elsewhere and he was so good I could forgive him.  Never saw him miss what I'd class as a sitter because of this. To see that's he's hit a 25 yard cracker is quite an eye opener as I just didn't think he could do it. 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Definitely scored more than one. Can remember one in the league cup away to Hibs and one at Queen of the South in the league. But don’t know exact number without looking it up.

Soccerbase reckons he scored 9 (nine) goals for us. 

2008/09 - 2 - QOS in the league home and away

2009/10 - 4 - Hibs, Falkirk, St Mirren, Rangers 

2010/11 - 2 - QOS, Brechin

2014/15 - 1 - Dundee United. 

Honestly, I know remember the one against Rangers, long range deflection I'm sure, but the rest completely draw a blank. He doesn't like QOS though. 

10 hours ago, Radford said:

I had absolutely no desire to see Saints sign Alan Smith but Steve Lomas tried to get him, and Liam Lawrence, to Perth.

Derek McInnes tried to get Chris Wood when we first got Marcus Haber.

Ah right. I thought you were keen to see him here at the time. 

First match of the season for me today. Wright for the first 30 minutes was unplayable. Watt worked harder than I thought he would. Foster was very good and kept his temper intact. All in all a decent performance. Another CM of Murray’s standard and we will be comfortable in staying up this year.

14 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

First match of the season for me today. Wright for the first 30 minutes was unplayable. Watt worked harder than I thought he would. Foster was very good and kept his temper intact. All in all a decent performance. Another CM of Murray’s standard and we will be comfortable in staying up this year.

Was just about to make a similar point...

As someone who hasn't exactly been a big follower of Tony Watt's career prior to him joining Saints, I was a bit worried about us signing him based on what many people have said about his attitude etc.

Some of the comments seem completely unfounded based on his albeit short period at Saints so far. 

He works hard, battles away and is a team player on the pitch. He doesn't particularly give team mates any earache ala Foster style etc. His attitude so far has seemed absolutely fine?! He just looks like he wants to play football.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Bit of an outsider looking in as I can’t get to many games these days but I really like Tony Watt. His twitter presence makes him come across as a very sweet boy just trying to make his way in the world. Like a misunderstood kid just trying to have fun doing what he loves. Pete Doherty vibes.

(I’m sure he’s a good footballer too blah blah)

1 minute ago, Zamora Fan said:

Bit of an outsider looking in as I can’t get to many games these days but I really like Tony Watt. His twitter presence makes him come across as a very sweet boy just trying to make his way in the world. Like a misunderstood kid just trying to have fun doing what he loves. Pete Doherty vibes.

(I’m sure he’s a good footballer too blah blah)

I agree - he's basically just a big kid. He seems to have dragged other players back onto social media and his Twitch streams make him accessible, especially to younger supporters. The fact he's playing a Saints league on football manager and putting up videos about his progress has pulled me back into the FM world again too. The club would do well to have some kind of fun day with one of the events being the chance to play Tony Watt at FIFA - I reckon he'd be well up for that.

Liam Craig took his wee boy to meet 'YouTuber' Tony Watt a couple of weeks ago. I think that sums him up.

I still don't get why Watt was only signed for one season, unless that's all he'd agree to. I'd have thought adding on an option would have covered Saints for punting him if it didn't work out yet would also mean we'd get some sort of fee if he was a success. Any idea @perthsaint1977?

56 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The club would do well to have some kind of fun day with one of the events being the chance to play Tony Watt at FIFA - I reckon he'd be well up for that.

I could see them doing that at the Muirton Club one day. They had Comrie, Hendry and Kane playing table football against kids in the Ormond before the game yesterday. 

I still don't get why Watt was only signed for one season, unless that's all he'd agree to. I'd have thought adding on an option would have covered Saints for punting him if it didn't work out yet would also mean we'd get some sort of fee if he was a success. Any idea [mention=54832]perthsaint1977[/mention]?
Sorry no idea