Edinburgh City

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A lot of people seem to be treating it like Thomsons been the victim and he's 'served his time and done his punishment'.

That's all well and good until you take into account how it's affected the lives of all the young children and the families involved who will never ever be able to just move on. Not seen one mention of them yet.

Some may be emotionally scarred and humiliated for life, young kids who've been taken advantage of by a predator.

Now this guy is playing for the 3rd biggest club in the city they are from. No matter what you say about football just being a job or whatever there's no chance that this reaction would happen if he'd taken a job as a plumber or whatever. Bringing it all up again for the victims. Watching this guy get the privilege of playing professional football in their city's so called community club.

Can't believe some people are sticking up for this guy.

A kick in the teeth to the victims and family of the young girls.

As an away fan who visited meadowbank and hoped city survived their 1st season in league 2 i am shocked to find out they have signed thomson.safe to say i wont be back and i hope you get relegated.i hope the paedo scum gets hounded everywhere he goes this season.even more shocked people are defending him.

Edited by annanbear

Pre-pubescent children. Thomson was sending phone messages to 15 year olds if my memory is right.

Which is under the age of consent, which is classed as a child, which makes Thompson a horrible nonce.

Basically if it came down to football ability then Thomson would be probably playing at a very high level. In a footballing sense is he a good signing? No question. The fact of the matter is Edinburgh City only got him because other clubs have better morals is what probably hurts the decent fans amongst them. There is something quite shameful about it and I would be boycotting games aswell if I were a fan of them. Such a shame to lose many loyal fans over 1 player who will draw unwanted attention and embarrassment every week he plays. As much as Simon Lichtie tries to argue his case I just feel that football isn't a proffesion fitting for a paedo but I agree he should be allowed to work. Picking up litter would be a more fitting job for him

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

Basically if it came down to football ability then Thomson would be probably playing at a very high level. In a footballing sense is he a good signing? No question. The fact of the matter is Edinburgh City only got him because other clubs have better morals is what probably hurts the decent fans amongst them. There is something quite shameful about it and I would be boycotting games aswell if I were a fan of them. Such a shame to lose many loyal fans over 1 player who will draw unwanted attention and embarrassment every week he plays. As much as Simon Lichtie tries to argue his case I just feel that football isn't a proffesion fitting for a paedo but I agree he should be allowed to work. Picking up litter would be a more fitting job for him

There's no doubt he could have played at a high level, he was a very good player. There's a reason why no one had picked him up so far though. Maybe City don't realise how much exposure they are getting now they are in the SPFL. PR own goal imo. 

I'd have a lot more time for them if they somehow called this off, admitted they fucked up and apologised to their own fans. It would be the best move for all involved, including player imo. He maybe doesn't realise how badly he's going to get abuse as well.

21 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

There's no doubt he could have played at a high level, he was a very good player. There's a reason why no one had picked him up so far though. Maybe City don't realise how much exposure they are getting now they are in the SPFL. PR own goal imo. 

I'd have a lot more time for them if they somehow called this off, admitted they fucked up and apologised to their own fans. It would be the best move for all involved, including player imo. He maybe doesn't realise how badly he's going to get abuse as well.

I agree it's a massive PR own goal for Edinburgh City and I was glad when he eventually left Hearts after his "misdemeanours" (for want of a better expression) but we have this debate every time cases like this arise.

Evans, Goodwillie, McCormack, Hughes.

If we're a society that truly believes in rehabilitation then if he's served his time and no longer deemed a threat then he should be free to seek employment. (Obviously not with children when sex offenders)

I really don't get the argument that he can't return to play football. Why are other industries deemed ok? There are positions deemed as "role models" in everyday industry that nobody would bat an eyelid at him taking up.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too happy to have him back at Hearts but what do we do with these people after they've paid their debt to society?

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

I agree it's a massive PR own goal for Edinburgh City and I was glad when he eventually left Hearts after his "misdemeanours" (for want of a better expression) but we have this debate every time cases like this arise.

Evans, Goodwillie, McCormack, Hughes.

If we're a society that truly believes in rehabilitation then if he's served his time and no longer deemed a threat then he should be free to seek employment. (Obviously not with children when sex offenders)

I really don't get the argument that he can't return to play football. Why are other industries deemed ok? There are positions deemed as "role models" in everyday industry that nobody would bat an eyelid at him taking up.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too happy to have him back at Hearts but what do we do with these people after they've paid their debt to society?

I think what he's done is different to the others you've mentioned for a number of reasons but I suppose that comes down to each individuals opinion. 

I dont think football can be compared to other jobs, it's a special case. The fans are football clubs, even if someone owns it, the fans matter more than anything. When a subject like this splits a fan base so much, the choice should be simple. No. 

He should be able to carry on and live his life, don't think anyone can take that away from him. But trying to stay in football like this seems quite desperate to me. He must also see the affect he's having with the City fans, I'd hate to think I was pushing life long fans away. 

I dont think id attend ER in the same situation.

1 minute ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I think what he's done is different to the others you've mentioned for a number of reasons but I suppose that comes down to each individuals opinion. 

I dont think football can be compared to other jobs, it's a special case. The fans are football clubs, even if someone owns it, the fans matter more than anything. When a subject like this splits a fan base so much, the choice should be simple. No. 

He should be able to carry on and live his life, don't think anyone can take that away from him. But trying to stay in football like this seems quite desperate to me. He must also see the affect he's having with the City fans, I'd hate to think I was pushing life long fans away. 

I dont think id attend ER in the same situation.

I know what you're getting at and my conscience tends to agree with you. The thing is when you start going down the road of which sports are deemed out of bound and which aren't then it becomes a legal minefield. 

That's before you look at which crimes put someone on the sine die list. Look at Plymouth with McCormack, drunk driving and killed a family on the motorway. He was charged and sent down by a criminal court and they take him back. They then release Goodwillie who was found guilty in a lesser Court of law....a tad hypocritical don't you think?

Like you, sits uncomfortably with me too and couldn't comprehend cheering on a rapist, murderer or paedophile.

6 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Which is under the age of consent, which is classed as a child, which makes Thompson a horrible nonce.

You're wasted on here Jake. Ever considered a career in the law?

11 hours ago, football maniac said:

Actually there were a couple of SPFL clubs after him who weren't squeamish. We probably got him because we're closest to where he lives.

Anyway not often I quote the Good Book on a football website but John 8:7.

When Arniston signed him, my view was he was better off on a football pitch with other men rather than sitting at home on a PC.  When my team played them, he kept his head down and was first in the dressing room at the end of each half.  Then he gets a move up to Nitten and we saw the start of his arrogance.  Then on to Kelty last season, where any baiting was responded to by brushing his shoulder, not exactly remorseful.

Yes he is a very good player, who could have made it to the full Scotland team had he kept his nose clean but he didn't and can consider himself very fortunate at the leniency of his sentence.  All sorts of excuses can be made for him but it comes down to the fact he had sexual urges for young children.  That should never be forgotten.

No doubt he is quite proud of himself now but the damage to Edinburgh City will show in the months ahead.

Actually there were a couple of SPFL clubs after him who weren't squeamish. We probably got him because we're closest to where he lives.
Anyway not often I quote the Good Book on a football website but John 8:7.

Yeah for all I think the City board made the wrong decision I know there are at least 2 SPFL clubs that were prepared to make the same one.

I'll have to go look that one up Tam.

On 7/4/2017 at 11:59, 1320Lichtie said:

Calling him a young lad when he made the mistake. He was a man, a 20 year old man. The crimes not severe as they weren't physical and just online... whit???

Everyone has different opinions but struggle to believe people actually think some of the things being said by folk are from people who haven't really thought about it properly.

What about women under the influence of alcohol and incapable of making an informed choice?

Myself and my family were really looking forward to the new season, playing at Ainslie Park which is a bit closer to us than Meadowbank and travelling around the country again following City; but, after this signing I've been conflicted whether to go to any games this season. I've had to ask myself the following questions:

Do I still want to support City - Yes

Does Craig Thomson deserve a 2nd chance - Don't know the exact details of the case but for the sake of rehabilitation, probably.

Do I think Craig Thomson is a danger to my 12 year old daughter? - No

Do I want to explain why there are fans shouting 'Beast' and 'Peado' at a City player to my 12 year old daughter - Not really

That last question is what cancels out the 'family friendly' atmosphere that City has previously catered for and means that no, unless there is a change of circumstance regarding Craig Thomson, I can't go to any games this season, which for me is heartbreaking but I can't see anyway round it.

I'm sure I'm not the only dad that feels this way and I still want City to do well but financially with ticket sales I can't see how.

10 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

Myself and my family were really looking forward to the new season, playing at Ainslie Park which is a bit closer to us than Meadowbank and travelling around the country again following City; but, after this signing I've been conflicted whether to go to any games this season. I've had to ask myself the following questions:

Do I still want to support City - Yes

Does Craig Thomson deserve a 2nd chance - Don't know the exact details of the case but for the sake of rehabilitation, probably.

Do I think Craig Thomson is a danger to my 12 year old daughter? - No

Do I want to explain why there are fans shouting 'Beast' and 'Peado' at a City player to my 12 year old daughter - Not really

That last question is what cancels out the 'family friendly' atmosphere that City has previously catered for and means that no, unless there is a change of circumstance regarding Craig Thomson, I can't go to any games this season, which for me is heartbreaking but I can't see anyway round it.

I'm sure I'm not the only dad that feels this way and I still want City to do well but financially with ticket sales I can't see how.

Why not use it to introduce a safe surfing talk with your daughter. Tell her the people shouting don't like him because of his past.

Don't get it out of proportion. Do you explain every other shout and obscenity to her?

"What's  a useless fat cùnt Daddy?"

"He is, now eat your fucking pie and shut up."

Edited by Sergeant Wilson