Edinburgh City

Delighted for the City fans that the name has been sorted. Heritage isn't important to all fans and I know there were some Edinburgh supporters here who didn't care, but I thought the change itself (without going into the questionable reasoning and manner in which it was done) was really sad. I couldn't tolerate FC Alloa for example. The thing that made Edinburgh City stand out was the resurrection of the old name and the rebirth of a club which had been horrifically bad on the field at times but kept battling away. With the link to the social club the 1986 version could be framed as another example of that refusal to go away - even after 31 years - and the way the club then worked away and progressed and became the rather unlikely first team to come up through the pyramid, then survived and even won a promotion, was a great story. To swap all that for FC Edinburgh - a truly awful name with no identity - seemed absolutely bizarre and it looked like an empty vessel last season, despite doing well on the field. It was hard to see any long term future for the club in that guise. 

Clearly a lot of work to be done yet in making the club sustainable in the SPFL long term and the ground remains is a massive issue, but with the old name back there's another chapter in the story of the old club that refused to go away. I hope the link to the social club is strengthened (and I hope you're going back Tam). 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The SC is there to be used. It's open to anyone to join and for many years football club supporters were either on the committee or took part in teams such as the pool team. It would be nice to see a reconnection.

The Edinburgh Tent (branch) of the Sons of the Desert Laurel and Hardy Appreciation Society (formed by Dave Beecroft) used to hold our monthly meetings in the Social Club when it was at Baxter's Place. The staff there were lovely people, couldn't do enough for us. The only reason we stopped using them was because the premises were sold.

1 hour ago, shush10 said:

Am i right in hearing ouzzy see is going into love island?? hope im being wound up

You are correct. Really does feel like a bit of a banter season coming you guy's way, I'm really surprised the club would allow it at this stage of the season. Maybe six weeks ago, but not now, eh?!

He's a handsome boy tbf. I'm sure he'll do well.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/22878373/scottish-football-ouzy-see-love-island-casa-amor/

30 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You are correct. Really does feel like a bit of a banter season coming you guy's way, I'm really surprised the club would allow it at this stage of the season. Maybe six weeks ago, but not now, eh?!

He's a handsome boy tbf. I'm sure he'll do well.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/22878373/scottish-football-ouzy-see-love-island-casa-amor/

I'm not sure exactly what they could do to stop it? They can't kidnap him and keep him in a cupboard! I assume he sees it as a potential gateway to riches and stardom and certainly more so than he's going to get playing for Edinburgh City in Scotlland's League 1 (no disrespect intended). If he goes and just doesn't turn up at Edinburgh then they either tolerate it and fine him for days he's not there or they sack him and tear up his contract. It's probably better if he's going to go anyway to shake his hand, wish him all the best, give him unpaid leave and tell him the door's open when he comes back. Assuming they actually want to keep him of course!

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure exactly what they could do to stop it? They can't kidnap him and keep him in a cupboard! I assume he sees it as a potential gateway to riches and stardom and certainly more so than he's going to get playing for Edinburgh City in Scotlland's League 1 (no disrespect intended). If he goes and just doesn't turn up at Edinburgh then they either tolerate it and fine him for days he's not there or they sack him and tear up his contract. It's probably better if he's going to go anyway to shake his hand, wish him all the best, give him unpaid leave and tell him the door's open when he comes back. Assuming they actually want to keep him of course!

That is true. But I'm 99 percent sure I can tell you what Stevie Farrell's reaction would be if a player came up to him the week of the first friendly and said he was going on Love Island. It would start and end in F!

I suppose he's in a good position here. He knows he's a good player (no pun intended) and would quite easily get another club if Edinburgh decide to punt him. But they are hardly brimming with quality and squad depth, so he can be sure that's quite unlikely to happen.

I have to be honest though, I'd be majorly pee'd off if Michael Ruth or Declan Byrne decided that they were off to ITV2 a fortnight before the season starts. Although I don't see them having the same kind of success as I could see See having. With no offence meant to either of them :lol: The series doesn't finish until August, if he ends up on it until the final then there might be more than a few eyebrows raised.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That is true. But I'm 99 percent sure I can tell you what Stevie Farrell's reaction would be if a player came up to him the week of the first friendly and said he was going on Love Island. It would start and end in F!

I suppose he's in a good position here. He knows he's a good player (no pun intended) and would quite easily get another club if Edinburgh decide to punt him. But they are hardly brimming with quality and squad depth, so he can be sure that's quite unlikely to happen.

I have to be honest though, I'd be majorly pee'd off if Michael Ruth or Declan Byrne decided that they were off to ITV2 a fortnight before the season starts. Although I don't see them having the same kind of success as I could see See having. With no offence meant to either of them :lol: The series doesn't finish until August, if he ends up on it until the final then there might be more than a few eyebrows raised.

Yeah I get all that, and to an extent the degree to which the manager and club are prepared to tolerate it may depend on how important he is to them. He was largely a fringe player last season I think. I didn't pay all that much attention outwith our own games but he was on the bench more often than not against us and John Robertson was their main goal threat. See certainly didn't score all that many. Robertson's gone of course so maybe he's more central to their plans again? I'm not sure who else they've got up top.

Ultimately though the potential exposure and celebrity from guff like this (I don't watch it, never have) will dwarf anything a player of his standard might ever do in football. He's going to take the chance even if it loses him his job with Edinburgh. He's not a complete haddy. He'll get another part time club when he comes back if he has to. probably at similar wages. Like I say, Edinburgh are likely best making the best of it and co-operating (maybe even using it for PR as long as he doesn't turn out to be a complete ass on tv I suppose).

Fair play to See, it'll be a good experience for him and although I've never watched an episode of Love Island in my life, it could lead to increased popularity and money for him, so can't say I blame the lad. However, if I was Alan Maybury then i would be absolutely seething at this, despite it being League 1 in Scotland you still want professionalism from your players and them available to be involved.

7 hours ago, jacobsladder said:

Looking at the options for the City Forever Foundation on Fanbase, is it just me or do you get more benefits under the Silver option than Gold ? 

Just double checked with the club for you.
Gold includes all the Bronze / Silver benefits, larger discounts on tickets, merch, etc plus the odd extra.

Edited by Bay Citizen

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure exactly what they could do to stop it? They can't kidnap him and keep him in a cupboard!

Why not? It's not as if they'd have to shift a load of trophies out of the way first...

BTW I notice that the FC EDINBURGH sign has vanished from above the shop window. Has the shop closed down or are they waiting for a replacement with the proper name?

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I have to be honest though, I'd be majorly pee'd off if Michael Ruth decided that they were off to ITV2 a fortnight...

Give it time. You'll soon change your mind. 

23 hours ago, GordonD said:

BTW I notice that the FC EDINBURGH sign has vanished from above the shop window. Has the shop closed down or are they waiting for a replacement with the proper name?

Closed, turnstiles only now.