Edinburgh City

54 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

A few people have mentioned (here and Twitter) about the savings from the Women's team and the U20's not being significant. I've been told that the savings are enough to make a material difference to our financial position.

By material difference, I mean might be enough to stop us going under. Which is quite material!

It is a good question though and one we posed to the board. 

Presumably pitch hire (training+matches)/referee fees/perhaps buses/etc.

4 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Genuinely in shock

IMG-20231221-WA0004.jpg

WTAF :lol:?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Imagine looking at the name ‘FC Edinburgh’ and thinking it’s not quite ridiculous enough so you better stick fucking Spartans on the end of it.

How was he planning to give (and pay for) contracts for 2 full squads worth of players? How were the going to keep 2 management teams on? Why on earth would a part time team with 2 managers and 30-40 first team players need a fucking director of football as well? 

11 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Well. Didn't see this coming. 

What on earth was he thinking. FC Edinburgh Spartans - is that the worst name of anything ever? Would crowds have got above double figures?

Challenge at the top of the Championship??

We knew a merger was proposed but thought it was the other way around!

"Wrote off my investment and walked away" probably tells you all you need to know about our finances just now.

Would rather be liquidated than this monstrosity.

Genuinely in shock

IMG-20231221-WA0004.jpg

We can’t have one normal day can we?

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Imagine looking at the name ‘FC Edinburgh’ and thinking it’s not quite ridiculous enough so you better stick fucking Spartans on the end of it.

How was he planning to give (and pay for) contracts for 2 full squads worth of players? How were the going to keep 2 management teams on? Why on earth would a part time team with 2 managers and 30-40 first team players need a fucking director of football as well? 

Few people on Twitter telling Doncaster he’s a fool for not allowing it. If anything, he’s probably saw right through this chancing git. 

and that’s someone who hates Doncaster saying this. 

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Few people on Twitter telling Doncaster he’s a fool for not allowing it. If anything, he’s probably saw right through this chancing git. 

You've got to go some to make Doncaster look like the good guy but Tom has managed it here I'd say.

That post is some of the most batshit mental nonsense I've seen in a long time.

Aside from the obvious issues with losing two historic club's identities by merging them together, what on earth would've been in it for Spartans? They look a superb operation (from the outside at least) and, aside from Edinburgh last year having a better squad, it's difficult to see what the benefits for them would've been.

The fact he seems to think you could run a team with a combined playing and management team is genuinely frightening. That wouldn't work in 90% of businesses. Never mind trying to keep 40 first team players, 40 odd 20s players and 40 odd women's players happy. All whilst running with, I assume, the biggest coaching team in the country. And Dougie Samuel and Alan Maybury as co-managers.

Having said all that. If Rangers and Celtic won't to merge (Rangers Celtic FC?) and bugger off to the European SuperLeague with a 40 man squad and 100 man backroom team, then I'd support that wholeheartedly.

26 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye.

All I’m saying is that if I’d come up with a proposal so ridiculous that even the SPFL rejected it out of hand, I wouldn’t be telling anyone about it. 

2 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

By material difference, I mean might be enough to stop us going under. Which is quite material!

I'm at the stage where I'm thinking we would be just as well going under anyway!

What's the point trying to battle on with this farce?

So we take our inevitable relegation like men.

Next season what?

Try to stabilise in League Two for a few seasons?

If we stay at Meadowbank once this season is over then crowds will NEVER improve.

Even the home support don't want to go anymore!

All the "faces" you used to see regularly 2,3 or 4 years ago at Ainslie Park have took one look at Meadowbank and decided "No thanks, this not for me" even the "supporters club" guys have more or less stopped going from what I can see.

Hopefully the chairman can find a miracle solution somewhere, and the club can get back to League one someday, but right now it's hard to see much of a future for Edinburgh City fc. 😔

Edited by Tenkay

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That post is some of the most batshit mental nonsense I've seen in a long time.

Aside from the obvious issues with losing two historic club's identities by merging them together, what on earth would've been in it for Spartans? They look a superb operation (from the outside at least) and, aside from Edinburgh last year having a better squad, it's difficult to see what the benefits for them would've been.

The fact he seems to think you could run a team with a combined playing and management team is genuinely frightening. That wouldn't work in 90% of businesses. Never mind trying to keep 40 first team players, 40 odd 20s players and 40 odd women's players happy. All whilst running with, I assume, the biggest coaching team in the country. And Dougie Samuel and Alan Maybury as co-managers.

Having said all that. If Rangers and Celtic won't to merge (Rangers Celtic FC?) and bugger off to the European SuperLeague with a 40 man squad and 100 man backroom team, then I'd support that wholeheartedly.

Spartans weren't in the League at this time - where as we were in League 1. I assume that was the attraction to Spartans. They tried to buy Cowdenbeath's place in the league 10+ years ago https://www.scotsman.com/sport/cowdenbeath-fans-fear-spartans-takeover-as-owners-try-to-cut-losses-2442712

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Don't want to sound like a dick but will a few quid on the ticket price for gates that aren't exactly huge really make a material difference. Surely less than a grand a fortnight?

You would likely need gates of 800-1000 to survive as a part-time club on gate money and prize money   

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Don't want to sound like a dick but will a few quid on the ticket price for gates that aren't exactly huge really make a material difference. Surely less than a grand a fortnight?

You get the odd outsized gate - Falkirk, Accies etc. which might make more of a difference I guess. It's really about short term revenue boosts to get us through the season I think. We've already cut costs by having to release all our players!

20 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Spartans weren't in the League at this time - where as we were in League 1. I assume that was the attraction to Spartans. They tried to buy Cowdenbeath's place in the league 10+ years ago https://www.scotsman.com/sport/cowdenbeath-fans-fear-spartans-takeover-as-owners-try-to-cut-losses-2442712

I remember hearing about that over the summer and thought it sounded like a horrendous idea. Buying a place in the league would've been a terrible look. And would've set a fairly concerning precedent for B teams. Who, I assume, could've just bought a club for their place in the league and rebranded.

Neil Doncaster is a massive idiot who has made decisions that have been hugely detrimental to Scottish football. But he's called this one right.

Guest DannyBlue
2 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Well. Didn't see this coming. 

What on earth was he thinking. FC Edinburgh Spartans - is that the worst name of anything ever? Would crowds have got above double figures?

Challenge at the top of the Championship??

We knew a merger was proposed but thought it was the other way around!

"Wrote off my investment and walked away" probably tells you all you need to know about our finances just now.

Would rather be liquidated than this monstrosity.

Genuinely in shock

IMG-20231221-WA0004.jpg

I remember Caley Braves made a documentary that they made and they obsessed over their name change even got in branding people to create a shortlist of names. Astonishing how many of these folk who want to guide clubs up the pyramid are completely clueless about football and how football fans think and behave. No one is turning up to matches because they fell in love with the name Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian or Falkirk. The idea that changing the name to FC Edinburgh Spartans is such an exquisite piece of "branding" that people in Edinburgh would start turning up in the numbers required to sustain a Championship side is laughably wide of the mark.

4 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

I remember Caley Braves made a documentary that they made and they obsessed over their name change even got in branding people to create a shortlist of names. Astonishing how many of these folk who want to guide clubs up the pyramid are completely clueless about football and how football fans think and behave. No one is turning up to matches because they fell in love with the name Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian or Falkirk. The idea that changing the name to FC Edinburgh Spartans is such an exquisite piece of "branding" that people in Edinburgh would start turning up in the numbers required to sustain a Championship side is laughably wide of the mark.

Yep! In my occasional robust discussions with the previous owner, specifically around the FC Edinburgh name, I told him I thought he'd fundamentally misunderstood the Scottish football fan and therefore his proposed audience/customer base 

8 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Such a shame for the Women's team in particular. 

The loss of the under 20's will presumably cut off any supply of potential first team players for next season? On the basis that most of the current under 20's are now the 23/24 first team squad. 

Glad to see that the ticket prices have increased to £15. That is very sensible. From memory last season was £18, but the cut to £11 was perhaps a little bit optimistic of the new board as the gates have not increased. 

Would love it if there was some merch to buy at the games to help the club out. Normal football fan stuff. A scarf? Bobble hat?

I've got some filthy postcards of Meadowbank left over from the last game at the old stadium, maybe I'll sell those at the next game.. 

carryonabroad.jpg.dfcc893b534a69dd65b2cba9785f9b60.jpg

I can't help feeling sad reading the club statement and thread.  We have fans worrying about losing their club and people squabbling in court, to try and form breakaway leagues for even more revenue.  My accounting is rusty so my only point on that front is that I hope the club is not in a position where it is vulnerable to any kind of winding-up order.  I would hope local creditors would be sympathetic, but not sure about any potential monies owed to the government.   Best wishes.