Edinburgh City

11 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The player descriptions might give you a laugh.... some are still heavily involved with Edinburgh City Football Club, although not on the playing side any more.

I think Mike Buchanan was on our coach on Saturday as well as a few other well kent faces in the other team coach but they're not in the picture. Several folk shot in to the British Legion and missed the photo call.

PhotoScan MTSFC Player Profiles.jpg

Recognise a names from the past there Alick of course who does the City programme amongst other things. Take it that's the chairman who also played for the B Team. Can recall Alistair Petrie-Hay from the late 70s when we played Cowden sure he had something to do with their programme didn't he work in music or something?

Is Colin McPherson the photographer guy?

18 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Take it that's the chairman who also played for the B Team.

That is indeed the same Jah Lumsden who is now - God help us - the actual chairman of a real League club. I saw him while having breakfast in the McDonald's opposite the stadium about a year ago - he was waiting for the ref to turn up because the opposition had requested an early pitch inspection. Apart from Alick Milne he's the only former Thistle supporter I've met in the last ten years or so.

Big Stuart Black was tragically killed in an accident at his work - he was a mechanic with Scottish Omnibuses and a jack collapsed or something. I can still remember getting a hell of a shock when I heard about it on Reporting Scotland.

Alistair Petrie-Hay, aka Angry Al, was the man behind 'Cheers'. He used to run the programme stall at Meadowbank and when we first met him had hair like Neil the Hippy out of The Young Ones. Then punk came along...

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

That is indeed the same Jah Lumsden who is now - God help us - the actual chairman of a real League club. I saw him while having breakfast in the McDonald's opposite the stadium about a year ago - he was waiting for the ref to turn up because the opposition had requested an early pitch inspection. Apart from Alick Milne he's the only former Thistle supporter I've met in the last ten years or so.

Big Stuart Black was tragically killed in an accident at his work - he was a mechanic with Scottish Omnibuses and a jack collapsed or something. I can still remember getting a hell of a shock when I heard about it on Reporting Scotland.

Alistair Petrie-Hay, aka Angry Al, was the man behind 'Cheers'. He used to run the programme stall at Meadowbank and when we first met him had hair like Neil the Hippy out of The Young Ones. Then punk came along...

I can remember A P-H when I was young knew he had something to do with the programme or the fanzine. Probably bought programmes from his stall back in the day. He was a hippy then.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Is Colin McPherson the photographer guy?

Yes. Colin lives down south now. He still travels the length and breadth of the British Isles with his camera working on football assignments for various outlets. He wrote a piece in The Nutmeg Magazine - Issue One, about his transition from a Hibby to a Meadowbank Thistle fan to an Edinburgh City supporter. It's well worth a read if you haven't seen it.

Colin was on the Edinburgh City Brake Club supporters' bus on Saturday. We had a chat about the old Thistle Fanzines. That's him talking to an old Thistle supporter on the bus.

Colin McPherson on the Edinburgh City Brake Club Supporters Bus (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Yes. Colin lives down south now. He still travels the length and breadth of the British Isles with his camera working on football assignments for various outlets. He wrote a piece in The Nutmeg Magazine - Issue One, about his transition from a Hibby to a Meadowbank Thistle fan to an Edinburgh City supporter. It's well worth a read if you haven't seen it.

Colin was on the Edinburgh City Brake Club supporters' bus on Saturday. We had a chat about the old Thistle Fanzines. That's him talking to an old Thistle supporter on the bus.

Nice looking bus you posh City types I had to make do with the train down to Berwick on Saturday.

Edited by cowdenbeath

3 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

There's certainly plenty to choose from. Edinburgh City fans should get a discount for being their best customer.

Mr Blobby Goes to Baynes Bakery.JPG

They have really expanded in recent years seem to have shops all over the place. There's one down Easter Road, handy if you run out on your way to Meadowbank:lol:

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

It's like bleedin' Air Force One!

This is what we had to make do with:

Charabanc.jpg

You sure it wasn't this... charabanc?  The original Football Supporters Brake Club Bus. I've heard that's where The Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club got their name. Brake as in brake from work... and not break as in break away from the official supporters' club. 

Brake Club9L8qVMu.jpg

7 hours ago, GordonD said:

Angry Al now watches the mighty St Anthony's Juniors. 

Originally a Charity tournament in memory of Big Stu was arranged between Newtongrange, Queen's Park, Shettleston and City- the Spiders won the Stuart Black Memorial Trophy. It was then regularly played between ourselves and the good guys of St Anthony's- unfortunately the early Challenge Cup matches and the arcane Juniors rule that they couldn't play pre-season friendlies before the third weekend of July meant we haven't played them in a couple of seasons (I think the rule has been changed so here's hoping for a rematch soon

)

ants57.jpg

the Stuart Black Memorial Trophy- probably the best one handled trophy in the world... 

Is there a link online to this club supporting piece? Sound like it could be interesting!

19 hours ago, Aidan said:

Is there a link online to this club supporting piece? Sound like it could be interesting!

<deleted>  :oops

Apparently that wasn't supposed to be shared - sorry about that

Edited by GordonD