Edinburgh City

36 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I feel honored having helped to create a new City song and the £123 I got from the 50/50 last week:lol: a feat which I failed to repeat at Forthbank yesterday where the prize was £290!

At least I was consistent and spelt it wrong everwhere!

You're in good company. Arbroath had a couple of typos in their 'On This Day' feature page in The Red Lichties programme yesterday. 'Stranrear' (sic) and 'Meadoebank' (sic). In saying all that I've made a few boobs myself this season :whistle

img120 (2).jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Also a common mistake is putting an 'S' on the end of Hamilton Academical

Hi, newcomer here,
I've been following the league 2 forum for a couple of weeks now and thought I should join. I used to go to the odd Meadowbank Thistle game when I was a kid but didn't follow them to Livingston. I started keeping an eye on City after I went to a City v Man Utd (under 19 I think?) match about 2003. I've been to quite a few matches with the family this season (mostly away) and absolutely loved it so far. I'm hoping we can continue in this league next season and looks like a better chance after yesterday.

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

You're in good company. Arbroath had a couple of typos in their 'On This Day' feature page in The Red Lichties programme yesterday. 'Stranrear' (sic) and 'Meadoebank' (sic). In saying all that I've made a few boobs myself this season :whistle

img120 (2).jpg

Should be Hamilton Academical as well. 

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

img120 (2).jpg

They have the same publisher as us but I wouldn't stoop to passing the buck for my typo.

4 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

Hi, newcomer here,
I've been following the league 2 forum for a couple of weeks now and thought I should join. I used to go to the odd Meadowbank Thistle game when I was a kid but didn't follow them to Livingston. I started keeping an eye on City after I went to a City v Man Utd (under 19 I think?) match about 2003. I've been to quite a few matches with the family this season (mostly away) and absolutely loved it so far. I'm hoping we can continue in this league next season and looks like a better chance after yesterday.

I've been following the League 2 forum over the second half of the season and in particular the last 6 weeks.  The Clyde, Cowdenbeath and now Berwick forums have all followed a similar path as their teams got closer to the bottom of the table.....players are shite/manager is shite/ board are shite.

Despite the fact you're still very much in the mix you seem to have a more relaxed attitude to the fact it's a competition and someone has to finish in 10th place without it necessarily being a result of incompetence or inability.

16 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

I've been following the League 2 forum over the second half of the season and in particular the last 6 weeks.  The Clyde, Cowdenbeath and now Berwick forums have all followed a similar path as their teams got closer to the bottom of the table.....players are shite/manager is shite/ board are shite.

Despite the fact you're still very much in the mix you seem to have a more relaxed attitude to the fact it's a competition and someone has to finish in 10th place without it necessarily being a result of incompetence or inability.

oh. the players are shite, the board is shite, the manager is shite and the photographers are fucking shite. We just don't like to advertise the fact! :lol:

When I first started watching City over 20 years ago we played at the magnificent stadium that was Fernieside- had to turn up early to prepare the ground by putting a rope around the pitch and taking the goalposts (bloody heavy) out of a locker on top of the glorified shipping container that served as dressing rooms and setting them up. City legend Martin M then went round with a bucket and shovel picking "dogs eggs" off the heavily canine fertilised pitch. After that losing last minute equalisers to Cowden and Mo in D2 is like winning the Champions League...  

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

oh. the players are shite, the board is shite, the manager is shite and the photographers are fucking shite. We just don't like to advertise the fact! :lol:

When I first started watching City over 20 years ago we played at the magnificent stadium that was Fernieside- had to turn up early to prepare the ground by putting a rope around the pitch and taking the goalposts (bloody heavy) out of a locker on top of the glorified shipping container that served as dressing rooms and setting them up. City legend Martin M then went round with a bucket and shovel picking "dogs eggs" off the heavily canine fertilised pitch. After that losing last minute equalisers to Cowden and Mo in D2 is like winning the Champions League...  

Nowadays Tam's duty is to pull out one corner flag at the end of a match and carry it around with him in case any of the fans try to invade the pitch and rip the shirts off the players' backs for souvenirs :lol:

Reckon this has been a big factor this season, City expected to be in this position so there's not that cloud of negativity you're getting with Clyde (in particular), Cowden and Berwick who all expected to be challenging for the playoff at the other end of the league. It's meant everyone at City can just focus on getting the results required to stay in the league.

Mirroring what was said above, I think it's still a novelty for City to be in the league and we were expected to be roundabout where we are now. I suppose the big difference is that we haven't got an historic legacy in the league that we need to protect and know it's not the end of the world in the lowland league.

If City do go down after just one season critics of the pyramid system will claim that it proves there's too big a gulf between League Two and the Lowland League. In reality that would only be the case if City's points total could be counted on the fingers of one hand, and the Shire had walked away with the LL.

Morton game was definitely weird. I remember running on the pitch at the end to try to get the players shirts (they'd promised they'd give them to us but then had obviously been told not to give them to us by Hunter. Only Stuart Wilson did, with Hunter then sending Renton off to the supporters to try to get the shirt back!). The Morton fans thought we were trying to ruin their promotion celebrations so a fair number started booing us. A shambolic and very depressing end but somehow very fitting after the last couple of years.

Anyway, the away games in the last season or so were generally fairly entertaining. Shire away in midweek was great fun as were QoS, Clyde, Stenny and a fair few others. Lots of good memories despite the spitefulness of Hunter.

Diagree with you about Morton fans. They didnt boo but didl sing 'Meadowbank' at the end.

However, I have vague recollections of someone showing me a letter published in an early ****ton programme from Arthur Montford praising the Meadowbank Thistle fans for applauding Rowan Alexander and the Morton team on their lap of honour at the end after receiving the 2nd Division trophy. No mention of stramashes or sight of sports jackets best seen in black and white.

16 minutes ago, ObserverFromAfar said:

Ehhh.. That was the Supporters' Club coach you were on that day. Brake Club had given up running regular away coaches a couple of years before then and only the Supporters' Club took a bus that day.

Well, I won't dispute the part about it being a Supporters' Club coach on the last day but are you sure the Brake Club stopped running coaches a couple of years prior to that? I was still travelling regularly right up to the start of the final season and I could have sworn it wasn't with Dave Baxter & Co. Mind you, it was nearly a quarter of a century ago and the old memory isn't what it was, and... what were we talking about?:unsure2:

If City do go down after just one season critics of the pyramid system will claim that it proves there's too big a gulf between League Two and the Lowland League. In reality that would only be the case if City's points total could be counted on the fingers of one hand, and the Shire had walked away with the LL.

Aye irrespective of how the season finishes from here and despite the 'anti-fitba' whinges of some of the supposed big clubs the pyramid works. There is a gap between the two divisions (of course there is) but a focussed and well organised side that knows its strengths and weaknesses can bridge it.

3 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Aye irrespective of how the season finishes from here and despite the 'anti-fitba' whinges of some of the supposed big clubs the pyramid works. There is a gap between the two divisions (of course there is) but a focussed and well organised side that knows its strengths and weaknesses can bridge it.

Especially if they learn to cheat take advantage of the system by appealing a blatant red card so that an important player is available for the next crucial match.

8 hours ago, ObserverFromAfar said:

Diagree with you about Morton fans. They didnt boo but didl sing 'Meadowbank' at the end.

However, I have vague recollections of someone showing me a letter published in an early ****ton programme from Arthur Montford praising the Meadowbank Thistle fans for applauding Rowan Alexander and the Morton team on their lap of honour at the end after receiving the 2nd Division trophy. No mention of stramashes or sight of sports jackets best seen in black and white.

I was sure there was some booing. There had been an announcement on the tannoy for no-one to invade the pitch as it would postpone the trophy presentation and I think some Morton fans thought we were deliberately messing up their big day. Don't blame them for it at all, just was one of those things...

I remember Morton fans singing "Meadowbank, Meadowbank". I remember that lovely chap Renton trying to get the polis to lift a fan for receiving Stuart Wilson's shirt (it was whisked away rapidly if memory serves). I remember getting f*cking pished in the Beehive Inn that night. 

Morton found out what a nice chap Mr Hunter was a few years later though when he was part of the Hugh Scott board. Funnily enough Morton fans were getting thrown out and banned from Cappielow at the time for protesting against the board...