Edinburgh City

If you fancy watching the semi beforehand then the Mashed Tun and the Artisan are decent and near the ground. If you want a bit of food and a more international selection of beers then the Safari Lounge is nice. This is all assuming you're coming in from Waverley direction.

43 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Heading to edinburgh next saturday for the game.wheres best for a pre match pint?

Social club is about 10 minute walk from the ground opposite entrance to Lochend Park.

1 hour ago, annanbear said:

Heading to edinburgh next saturday for the game.wheres best for a pre match pint?

Boab's Lounge. He lives 100 yards from the Players' & Officials' Entrance at Meadowbank.

The Team of Everlasting Fame. Back and Front Cover for City Fanzine 22 April. Edinburgh City v Annan Athletic. Meadowbank Stadium Kick Off 3:00pm.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Nineteen.jpg

Thanks to everyone on the Edinburgh City supporters' coach to Arbroath. Got there in record time. I for one was glued to my window at the back of the bus.

CAB Mr Blobby at the back of the supporters bus on the way to ArbroathDSC00036.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
"We're Proud, We're Loud, We've got the Pastor's Shroud". (A hit song from the Meadowbank top 100)

Absolute pleasure to meet up with Edinburgh City's number one photographer on his final assignment this season covering the Citizen's away match with Arbroath for the BBC.

Mr Blobby salutes you Colin! A great servant to Edinburgh City and Meadowbank over  the years.

CAB Colin McPherson with Mr Blobby at Arbroath take twoDSC00028.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

10 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Boab's Lounge. He lives 100 yards from the Players' & Officials' Entrance at Meadowbank.

The Team of Everlasting Fame. Back and Front Cover for City Fanzine 22 April. Edinburgh City v Annan Athletic. Meadowbank Stadium Kick Off 3:00pm.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Nineteen.jpg

Just a very minor point. I can't remember more than one or two Brake Club members attending the final ever Thistle game at Morton. In fact, very few of them attended games at all in the last season from what I can remember. I know they were involved in some of the work against Blobby but those doing the actual protesting that year were Supporters Club members...

Just a very minor point. I can't remember more than one or two Brake Club members attending the final ever Thistle game at Morton. In fact, very few of them attended games at all in the last season from what I can remember. I know they were involved in some of the work against Blobby but those doing the actual protesting that year were Supporters Club members...

I agree that Brake Club involvement at home matches was practically non-existent - many were banned and most of the rest of us were trying to hit Hunter in the pocket by boycotting home matches. Personally I didn't attend many away matches either, but I was at Greenock and to the best of my recollection the Brake Club coach was full.

3 minutes ago, scrooge1928 said:

I agree that Brake Club involvement at home matches was practically non-existent - many were banned and most of the rest of us were trying to hit Hunter in the pocket by boycotting home matches. Personally I didn't attend many away matches either, but I was at Greenock and to the best of my recollection the Brake Club coach was full.

OK, my memory may be failing me with regards to Morton (I suppose some Brake Club might also have been there for the Celtic cup game). Certainly for the other away games in the last season or so it was the usual 20-30 Supporters Club attendees and no-one else. Not a criticism of the Brake Club (who had definitely put in the years supporting Thistle) but just pointing this out as it is easy for a lot of things regarding the last couple of seasons to be conflated...

16 minutes ago, scrooge1928 said:

Totally agree with this - I was at Greenock too and the bus was virtually full. We thought it was fitting that it should end in a 1-0 defeat since the very first game (Albion Rovers in the League Cup) had the same scoreline.

On a personal note, I went to the first League game of the season (Brechin away) and we hammered them 5-1 but were then stripped of the points because one of our players was ineligible. That was when I gave up in despair. I only went to three more games that final season - Celtic in the cup (at Hampden), then the last home game (Stenny, beat them 1-0) and the last of all at Cappielow. At full-time I threw my scarf onto the goal net but the groundsman took it down to I retrieved it and gave it to a young Morton fan in the street outside.

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Totally agree with this - I was at Greenock too and the bus was virtually full. We thought it was fitting that it should end in a 1-0 defeat since the very first game (Albion Rovers in the League Cup) had the same scoreline.

On a personal note, I went to the first League game of the season (Brechin away) and we hammered them 5-1 but were then stripped of the points because one of our players was ineligible. That was when I gave up in despair. I only went to three more games that final season - Celtic in the cup (at Hampden), then the last home game (Stenny, beat them 1-0) and the last of all at Cappielow. At full-time I threw my scarf onto the goal net but the groundsman took it down to I retrieved it and gave it to a young Morton fan in the street outside.

Morton game was definitely weird. I remember running on the pitch at the end to try to get the players shirts (they'd promised they'd give them to us but then had obviously been told not to give them to us by Hunter. Only Stuart Wilson did, with Hunter then sending Renton off to the supporters to try to get the shirt back!). The Morton fans thought we were trying to ruin their promotion celebrations so a fair number started booing us. A shambolic and very depressing end but somehow very fitting after the last couple of years.

Anyway, the away games in the last season or so were generally fairly entertaining. Shire away in midweek was great fun as were QoS, Clyde, Stenny and a fair few others. Lots of good memories despite the spitefulness of Hunter.

11 minutes ago, Brewing up a storm said:

(I suppose some Brake Club might also have been there for the Celtic cup game)

I was at the Celtic match in name only - they were wanting names and addresses for people to get tickets, and as I wasn't on the 'banned' list I gave my details and passed the ticket on to someone who wanted it.  Possibly a couple of dozen travelled.  I think I was at Dalkeith Thistle that day.  

The whole Hunter episode soured me for supporting a club, and if Edinburgh City hadn't come along I would just have become a non-aligned football watcher - not a groundhopper, as in the final season and before I started watching City I picked Junior or Senior matches which looked interesting rather than trying to tick off new grounds.  Even after my first City match (27th April 1996) it was a couple of seasons before I was going regularly to away matches. 

Are there any fans left from Postal United? Or were all of you Thistle supporters? 

Is there anyone left from the Edinburgh City that existed when Thistle was still in the league?

Edited by lowenan

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

1) Yes. I met a former Postal United player at the Betfred Cup tie with Hamilton Accies. Seen here in the picture looking into the camera and holding the very first City Fanzine in his hand. I think he had a complimentary ticket to get in for that match but later dropped it as I picked it up and that's the complimentary ticket that Mr Blobby has worn on his scarf ever since. Postal United still have a bowling club I think as I've seen tweets from some of their members saying they were at some of City's away matches this season.

2) I know of at least one descendent from the old Edinburgh City Social Club (circa 1986) who helps out at Meadowbank on Saturday match days.

Postal United player reading the very first Edinburgh City fanzine at Betfred Cup Tie with Hamilton Accies.jpg

Very cool. Thank you. Nice that there are people left from the various parts of your history. 

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

Have to admit I didn't expect anyone from the Postal United days just shows how wrong you can be!

Looking through some the crowd photographs from over this season, there must be hundreds of stories to be told but so few chances to speak to all the people out there in all the nooks and crannies of the stadiums, never mind the grassy knolls.

Just now, Mr Blobby said:

Looking through some the crowd photographs from over this season, there must be hundreds of stories to be told but so few chances to speak to all the people out there in all the nooks and crannies of the stadiums, never mind the grassy knolls.

Aye you will have a selection of folk from different backgrounds - ex Thistle and Postal fans/players, people who have followed City all the way through from the EOSL days and Hibs/Hearts fans who go when their "big" team are playing away. Plus a lot of ground hoppers at the start of the season I would imagine.

The grassy knoll thing at AP must be some H&S issue so maybe the old Brake Club boys haven't gone totally establishment:lol:

28 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

:lol: I never noticed that about Stobie's name.

Glad you didn't misspell Ian McFarland's name and put two Fs in there or we could be singing "There's only one 'F' in Ian McFarland, There's only one 'F' in Ian McFarland...." on Saturday at Meadowbank instead :lol:. Cheers for the new Stobie song though. That goes straight in at Number One this week in our Edinburgh City Top One Hundred Songs chart replacing Tam the Bam's previous favourite, "Who the Feck are Spartans?".

img117 (2).jpg

img118 (2).jpg

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

Glad you didn't misspell Ian McFarland's name and put two Fs in there or we could be singing "There's only one 'F' in Ian McFarland, There's only one 'F' in Ian McFarland...." on Saturday at Meadowbank instead :lol:. Cheers for the new Stobie song though. That goes straight in at Number One this week in our Edinburgh City Top One Hundred Songs chart replacing Tam the Bam's previous favourite, "Who the Feck are Spartans?".

img117 (2).jpg

img118 (2).jpg

I feel honored having helped to create a new City song and the £123 I got from the 50/50 last week:lol: a feat which I failed to repeat at Forthbank yesterday where the prize was £290!

At least I was consistent and spelt it wrong everwhere!