Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Barca are in a sorry state and Chelsea had a transfer ban, the rest were all in a good position when they appointed those men.

United haven't been in a good position since Ferguson left, and Arsenal have been Banter FC for more than a decade

RIP Claude

Perhaps Gerrard is looking at the way it went for Souness, straight to Liverpool from Rangers, a  lot of similarities, both ex captions, both Rangers were thier first jobs, and both came in and turned the club's fortunes around, 

Maybe he sees the above to take a different route to his dream job

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Gerrard moving to Villa coupled with Howe declining Celtic before moving to Newcastle just proves that to an ambitious manager, a relegation battle in the Barclays is more attractive than managing Rangers or Celtic.

Its just further confirmation that in the grand scheme of things, neither are a big club.

The Newcastle job is appealing for obvious reasons, it’s a chance to turn around a sleeping giant of a club with huge investment behind them and i imagine the pay ain’t half bad either. And imo i think it’s worked out quite well for us in that regard

Gerrard and Villa well simple fact here is he won’t get the Liverpool gig based on his current CV, he needs a different test and again a big club like Villa in the most high profile league in the world then it’s an opportunity to sell himself right under the noses of Liverpool, that has to be attractive to Gerrard as it’s a step closer to his ultimate goal.

Edited by Jinky67

12 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Perhaps Gerrard is looking at the way it went for Souness, straight to Liverpool from Rangers, a  lot of similarities, both ex captions, both Rangers were thier first jobs, and both came in and turned the club's fortunes around, 

Maybe he sees the above to take a different route to his dream job

The jump in standard is monumentally different now. Souness had the England captain where as Gerrard has a guy who couldn’t get a game ahead of Shane Duffy.

I can’t decide how good a manager Gerrard is, personally I don’t feel he comes across well in interviews but I think he’s smart enough to know his deficiencies and have the right people around him. I think the Aston Villa job is as good a job he will get any time soon, less scrutiny from the media and closer to home for him. 

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I don't agree he has to manage elsewhere before managing Liverpool (although I think it would be better to gain more experience outside Scotland)

Ole @ Man Utd - Won the league with Molde and got Cardiff relegated

Arteta @ Arsenal - No previous experience

Xavi @ Barca - Some success with Al Saad

Zidane @ Real - No previous experience

Pirlo @ Juventus - No previous experience

Lampard @ Chelsea - A playoff with Derby

Okay there is a mixture of how successful these managers have been but there is precedent for the top clubs appointing managers with little or no experience.

Most of those clubs were an absolute shambles.

Liverpool are recent Premiership and European champions.

Winning a two-horse race when the other horse falls at the first fence isn't much of an achievement.

14 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I’m not saying Gerrard to Villa won’t happen, but worth remembering that it’s the international break and the Scottish media have absolutely heehaw interest in talking about the national side if they can avoid it.

Seems to be more people outwith the Scottish media hyping this up as credible.

This Villa source is suggesting it’s pretty much done

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

This bear is at the anger stage I see.

^^^ Another thick c**t.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know this was clearly tongue in cheek but it’s just reminded me how absolutely mental the media response was to him joining rangers. 

You’d think they’d signed a gazza or a laudrup again. I distinctly remember the bbc doing a minute by minute update piece on his debut against Hamilton. 

Of course, this all contributed to how funny it was the way it all ended. 

The media response to Barton was comparable only to the Gazza signing and anything football based was barely an afterthought.  In both cases all the media seen was Rangers signing a known roaster who’d likely make them headlines for arseholery one way or another. 

1 hour ago, Meldrew said:

Villa don't have a relegation battle squad, they obviously are looking at West Ham and thinking, we could do that, Gerard being the man to do that is another discussion altogether.

Key point in bold. 

As much as Steven Gerrard will forever be an absolute legend for delivering the title last season and absolutely ruining the minds (and breeks) of the entire grotty green hoard,  in all honesty I think the jury is still out on his managerial abilities. The football under Gerrard has rarely been a great watch and their play largely predictable. In that sense Gerrard is probably still very much an untried rookie and a bit of a gamble down south. 

That said, Gerrard alone is a big name and he may prove successful at creating a decent, entertaining team when given silly millions to spend in a l£agu£ that the top players actually want to come and play in.

Edited by 8MileBU

Just now, Henrik's tongue said:

I wish the internet had been around when Sir Alex Ferguson left Aberdeen - if this is the response to this jobber leaving Rangers after a freak season,

Surely Celtic fans would want him to stay then? The mainly jubilant response from them online to this news is a bit of of a giveaway. 

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Key point in bold. 

As much as Steven Gerrard will forever be an absolute legend for delivering the title last season and absolutely ruining the minds (and breeks) of the entire grotty green hoard,  in all honesty I think the jury is still out on his managerial abilities. The football under Gerrard has rarely been a great watch and their play largely predictable. In that sense Gerrard is probably still very much an untried rookie and a bit of a gamble down south. 

That said, Gerrard alone is a big name and he may prove successful at creating a decent, entertaining team when given silly millions to spend in a l£agu£ that the top players actually want to come and play in.

Legend for leaving halfway through as season just as important as the last ? many bears don't agree, and they maybe green and grotty, but will no doubt get a boost from this,,...Angeball in the Champions League  Looms Large......and so does a new share offer 🤣