Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Is anyone on here able to help me out. I’m trying to recall details of the first game I remember going to at Ibrox. It was early to mid eighties and I think it was a 2-2 draw with Leicester City. I have a memory of Hugh Burns scoring but I might be merging games and that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Thanks for your help.

53 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Is anyone on here able to help me out. I’m trying to recall details of the first game I remember going to at Ibrox. It was early to mid eighties and I think it was a 2-2 draw with Leicester City. I have a memory of Hugh Burns scoring but I might be merging games and that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Thanks for your help.

The only possible game it could have been with 'us' vs Leicester in 1984 - a friendly.

leicester1.JPG.4a066b2cb1c6a58f10e80e41bc10e693.JPG

Leicester2.JPG.3251f09e1abe32b31b3b32f5f251d9b4.JPG

I graduated, in London, in May1984 and joined Xerox in July so was only able to afford the train 'up north' a few times that season - just as well.  The following season - the year of The Four Managers - was even worse.

So if you're sure it was vs Leicester then that is the most likely.  Mind you, goals from Shug Burns were like hens' teeth.  He really wasn't very good.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Thanks. It’s about the right time. And it was a preseason friendly. Must have been. I’ll google the game for more info. When I googled it the first time I saw that programme on eBay but for some reason mistook it for an away friendly. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, spalding said:

An absolute must win for both teams at the weekend. 

Reminds me of the Dave Dameshek bit he does at the Super Bowl every year, when he goes and asks both teams "Is this a must-win game?"

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Reminds me of the Dave Dameshek bit he does at the Super Bowl every year, when he goes and asks both teams "Is this a must-win game?"

It's true though, this weekend.

Rangers win sets down a huge mark of intent

Celtic win and it's game on 

Probably be a 0-0 😁

3 minutes ago, spalding said:

Probably be a 0-0 😁

I think it's probably more of a "must-win" game for Celtic than us tbh.

Gap is effectively 7 points at the minute. If it goes to 4, we can still work with that. If it goes to 10 points, then it's no longer in Celtic's hands.

32 minutes ago, G51 said:

Today makes it 13 league wins in a row - first time since 07/08.

Old Firm is such a massive game.

26 minutes ago, spalding said:

An absolute must win for both teams at the weekend. 

16 minutes ago, spalding said:

Probably be a 0-0 😁

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'd take 0-0 right now. 

Absolutely got a 0-0, 1-1 shitfest written all over it. Which I’d take in a heartbeat. 

(away and put the mortgage money on freddo getting a hat trick) 

54 minutes ago, G51 said:

Old Firm is such a massive game.

34 minutes ago, bennett said:

Apparently Arfield is out for 2 - 3 weeks,  which usually means a few months.

26 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'd take 0-0 right now. 

20 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Absolutely got a 0-0, 1-1 shitfest written all over it. Which I’d take in a heartbeat. 

(away and put the mortgage money on freddo getting a hat trick) 

One of you should start a match thread...

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Have you not got an award speech to write for later? 

Ha!  I have a whole ream of them I could recycle!

Edit:  I liked your Fighting Temeraire gif.  A bit poignant...

Edited by The_Kincardine

Following up on some #numbers I did a few weeks ago in this thread.

We're now at 59 points from 21 games (2.81 PPG). Celtic have a theoretical maximum points total of 103 points.

To achieve 104 points, we'd need to average 2.64PPG.

In all likelihood, Celtic won't win out. They've 20 games to go, so lets say they replicate our current excellent form the rest of the way. That puts them on 99 points, so we'd be looking at needing to hit 100 points (2.41PPG).

We can probably afford a (very slight) dip in form and still win the league.

On 26/12/2020 at 23:18, The_Kincardine said:

The only possible game it could have been with 'us' vs Leicester in 1984 - a friendly.

leicester1.JPG.4a066b2cb1c6a58f10e80e41bc10e693.JPG

Leicester2.JPG.3251f09e1abe32b31b3b32f5f251d9b4.JPG

I graduated, in London, in May1984 and joined Xerox in July so was only able to afford the train 'up north' a few times that season - just as well.  The following season - the year of The Four Managers - was even worse.

So if you're sure it was vs Leicester then that is the most likely.  Mind you, goals from Shug Burns were like hens' teeth.  He really wasn't very good.

Benny, someone's been drawing on your programme with a crayon 😂

Looking at the Rangers squad, with the exception of Cooper, Russell and McCoist that squad was absolute shite 

14 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Looking at the Rangers squad, with the exception of Cooper, Russell and McCoist that squad was absolute shite 

When Graham Spiers had his daft wee outburst about women keepers he clearly forgot that we started games with Nicky Walker between the sticks.