Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Did Hearts not have to play their home games at Murrayfield until about November when their new main stand wasn't ready?

Because someone forgot the seats.  

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I doubt that. The SPFL will bend over to your mob and allow you to have four away games to start the season, or however many they need.

Even if this did happen, why would it be an issue? Who would be losing out or negatively impacted?

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Even if this did happen, why would it be an issue? Who would be losing out or negatively impacted?

The Aberdeen boys of course! They love coming down for a sunny August lunchtime kick off at Ibrox. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

It's not that any team would be losing out, it's simply that no other team, bar one, would be allowed this privilege. 

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It's not that any team would be losing out, it's simply that no other team, bar one, would be allowed this privilege. 

But what is the privilege, exactly? Fixtures are rearranged at the request of clubs every now and then. I’m sure last season Hibs and St Johnstone had a fixture brought forward at their request because both teams had been eliminated from the league cup and it suited them.

This would just be a case of swapping round a home fixture to an away fixture in the first round of games.

It’s a completely hypothetical (and I think unreasonable) claim to suggest no other team would be allowed to do it if their opponents agreed.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

But what is the privilege, exactly? Fixtures are rearranged at the request of clubs every now and then. I’m sure last season Hibs and St Johnstone had a fixture brought forward at their request because both teams had been eliminated from the league cup and it suited them.

This would just be a case of swapping round a home fixture to an away fixture in the first round of games.

It’s a completely hypothetical (and I think unreasonable) claim to suggest no other team would be allowed to do it if their opponents agreed.

You really don't see it, do you? 

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You really don't see it, do you? 

I don’t buy into the claim that no other club would have a couple of fixtures swapped other than Rangers, if that’s what you mean. We’re talking about something that hasn’t even happened yet and may not happen.

Our relationship with the SPFL is excellent, right enough.

Edited by AJF

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t buy into the claim that no other club would have a couple of fixtures swapped other than Rangers, if that’s what you mean. We’re talking about something that hasn’t even happened yet and may not happen.

Our relationship with the SPFL is excellent, right enough.

You certainly controlled the fining of Dundee and getting your ridiculous hotel bills refunded. I did say that one other team would be afforded the same luxury.

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You certainly controlled the fining of Dundee and getting your ridiculous hotel bills refunded. I did say that one other team would be afforded the same luxury.

It’s just not something I agree with, mate, to suggest we (and Celtic) would be the only ones allowed to switch a couple of fixtures.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

It’s just not something I agree with, mate, to suggest we (and Celtic) would be the only ones allowed to switch a couple of fixtures.

I know you don’t, and you and your cohorts never will. It is the case though, as the rest of Scottish football know.

There are a lot of issues with games at Murrayfield in August.  

Edinburgh is heaving during the Festival and the cops are already very stretched at that time.  I can't see them wearing the idea of league games at all, even if fixtures are shuffled around to make sure neither Hearts nor Hibs are at home on the same day.  A run of away fixtures at the start of the season is the only possible option.

A particular difficulty with European games is the lack of notice.  The draw for the 3rd round is on 22 July, with the possibility of a game on 6 August.  This isn't the same as a European game at Tynecastle.  The crowd will be 3 times the size, the vast majority travelling from outside the area.  In addition the game could be against teams like Fenerbahce or Partizan Belgrade, well known for having mild mannered fans who won't cause any bother.  Similar timescales apply for the play-off round. 

Residents in the area near Murrayfield will be raging at the thought of this.  I don't know how much of a say the Council have in relation to ad hoc fixtures, but I imagine residents in the area who have clout in the city will be making their views known.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I know you don’t, and you and your cohorts never will. It is the case though, as the rest of Scottish football know.

Hearts were allowed to start 17/18 with a run of away games weren't they?

I'm no fan of Rangers but there is precedent for teams being allowed to pick if they have a run of away games to start a season as long as there's a reason.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hearts were allowed to start 17/18 with a run of away games weren't they?

I'm no fan of Rangers but there is precedent for teams being allowed to pick if they have a run of away games to start a season as long as there's a reason.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

IMG_4216.jpeg

8 minutes ago, stressball said:

Asbestos is in most buildings built before a certain year.

The consensus on FF and TBD is that this work has disturbed some of the asbestos that must be cleared out before they continue their building work.

It's all rumour and supposition though.