Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, TheLad said:

No, you give the right person the time to develop.
I just don't think that's him. And comparing him to Pedro is nothing, as he was just a joker.

OK and that's fair enough I suppose but why?

Surely he's clearly improved the team since taking over?

When Lennon was appointed caretaker manager of Celtic following Mowbray's spell, like Murty, he steadied the squad and made significant progress.
There was doubts about his inexperience, especially when it came to cup competition.
It'll be interesting to see if the board decides to stick or twist with Murty come the end of the season.
We all know the fans won't tolerate him much longer if their home form continues to slide.

OK and that's fair enough I suppose but why?
Surely he's clearly improved the team since taking over?

I think I could have improved them after Pedro so don't believe that has any significance on whether he is the right man for the job.

I think his tactics are poor, game changing decisions poor, record at home not good enough. Think some of the team selections have been poor as well.

On the plus side, it is encouraging that he has played some of the young lads. And he is a nice bloke. I just don't have any confidence in him

1 minute ago, Greenlantern said:

When Lennon was appointed caretaker manager of Celtic following Mowbray's spell, like Murty, he steadied the squad and made significant progress.
There was doubts about his inexperience, especially when it came to cup competition.
It'll be interesting to see if the board decides to stick or twist with Murty come the end of the season.
We all know the fans won't tolerate him much longer if their home form continues to slide.

You always get knee jerk reactions after a bad game, I remember Walter Smith being the target of the boo boys.

Murty is inexperienced but there's more positives than negatives, give him another season and allow him to try and get rid of some deadwood, bring suitable players in and get guys like Dorrans, Jack, Wallace, McCrorie etc back in the team.

You always get knee jerk reactions after a bad game, I remember Walter Smith being the target of the boo boys.
Murty is inexperienced but there's more positives than negatives, give him another season and allow him to try and get rid of some deadwood, bring suitable players in and get guys like Dorrans, Jack, Wallace, McCrorie etc back in the team.

The sensible thing to do would be to perhaps give him another season under his belt.
We both know that he's in fact a few bad results away from being hounded out of ibrox.

5 hours ago, weirdcal said:

I think murty given a full tilt at building his own squad might actually be a good manager.
As it is he his hamstrung having his predecessors players who they couldn't shift to make way for his own. He has a board who seem to make things worse by kicking cans down the road (loans to cover a current shortfall with what appears to be no idea how to fill it next year and what looks like using part of next year's budget to do so).
Does he not have a director of football who does the signings for him. He identifies who or what he needs and they go out and procure this for him.
He is learning the trade and doesn't have the financial backing the fans benchmark has (somewhat amusing to the rest of us to see this being the case).
He doesn't appear to blame luck or refs or other things for failings.

He won't last and will be replaced by either a dinosaur or another out of nowhere appointment. Funny enough the last rangers manager I thought was of a similar kin was le guen and that was a manager I thought given time would have done wonders in Scottish football (luckily the team he landed at has a fan base that demand instant success and transitional periods were not tolerated).

He had 5 of his own signings in the team yesterday, and Foderingham, John, Tavernier, Candeias and Windass have all been regarded as being amongst their most impressive players so far this season.  The only real huddy left behind from the Pedro era was Bruno Alves and he, astonishingly, is still a regualr in the Portugal squad.  Murty's record as Rangers manager is absolutely abysmal, and he has proven already that he is not capable of doing the job, either in terms of mentality or coaching ability.  Fingers crossed they buy into your sort of argument and keep him on for next season.

Rangers have terminated Niko Kranjcar's contract by mutual agreement.

The Croatian playmaker was signed by Mark Warburton in 2016 from New York Cosmos but suffered a serious knee injury within months of his arrival in Ibrox.

Kranjcar, who previously played for Spurs and Portsmouth, ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament against Inverness during his first season at the Light Blues, with the 33-year-old hampered by ongoing fitness issues since.

He made 26 appearances for Rangers, scoring three goals.

Kranjcar said: "Myself and Rangers Football Club have come to a mutual agreement to terminate our common contract.

"It's been an honour to have been part of such a big club and to have played for such great fans, it will always remain an honour for me.

"I wish the club success in its future while I now consider the options I have on the table."

• 2 weeks later...

Sad new that Ray Wilkins has died aged only 61.  He only played two seasons for us but played with great aplomb.  Terrific pass to set up MoJo in his last game - with an excellent interview with Archie at the end:

The SPFL Computer has been kind to us and we have 3 away game post-split:

Rangers v Hearts – Sunday 22 April – 12:30
Celtic v Rangers – Sunday 29 April – 12:00
Rangers v Kilmarnock – Saturday 5 May – 15:00
Aberdeen v Rangers – Tuesday 8 May – 19:45
Hibernian v Rangers – Sunday 13 May – 12:30

2nd is clearly in our own hands but I reckon we'll be lucky to get 8 points.  Anyone else more of an optimist?

2nd is clearly in our own hands but I reckon we'll be lucky to get 8 points.  Anyone else more of an optimist?

I'm slightly optimistic that your new club will go into administration next season so top 6 won't be a problem come next season's split

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

spflmastercomputer.png