Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

This is the point that your post founders on:  All three Scottish clubs who have won European trophies, your own included, would have forsaken domestic titles for European success..  I know that supporters of your own club, in its season of glory, would not have swapped their CWC win for the a league title - though you came within a baw hair (or a bad draw against Hibs) of carrying off three trophies that year.
I actually think that we weren't good enough to win the EL in 2008 whatever preparation we'd been given beforehand, that our best player was Wattie, and that we'd have been found out anyway.  However, any Rangers fan I know would have happily swapped a league title for another European trophy (however theoretical that was).  So your point that, "They wanted help to win the UEFA cup and also for it not to f**k up their chances of winning the league" is utter nonsense.
You also missed the major point on this topic - as do most posters.  Peatgate isn't about whether Rangers received/didn't receive help. It's about a chairman of a club lifting the phone to the SFA Chairman and asking that they don't receive help in a European competition which has absolutely no implications for any other club in Scotland.
This is why I often refer to Scotland as a nasty, pernicious wee country and, to your credit, you are the only poster who actually agreed with the chairman who phoned Peat.  Still, what a shite way to live your life.

I understand exactly what the issue is with “peatgate” but I struggle to be bothered by it if I’m honest with you.

I have no idea why the sfa would help rangers out in that situation. If, as you say all rangers fans would’ve sacrificed a league title for the UEFA cup (debatable at best) then why not play the reserves and keep it in the tank for the UEFA cup. And to your credit, you’ve admitted that rangers simply weren’t good enough to win it, although you failed to point out that the football you played to get to that final would make Jose Mourinho look like Pep Guardiola.

And returning to “peatgate”, we’ve gone back and forth before on the rangers issue. It’s hardly a secret that swathes of the country loathe your club. And whilst I’ll admit there’s a lot of nonsense and bedwetting about rangers, I absolutely understand why that feeling is there.

There’s a lot about your clubs history and still to this day that is poison and a stain on Scotland. I think you’re an intelligent guy and the abuse you get on here goes too far (likely because of the rangers thing) but you know I won’t hide my feelings towards that club.

13 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Wee bit of drama queenery there MT.  Anyway, I have no beef with how our fixture list turned out as I hinted at.  It wouldn't have made any difference.  I am, though, astonished that a club chairman would lift the phone to Peat in the way that he did.  Aren't you or are you inured to the hatred that has come to define Scotland?

The hatred that you talk about has been stoked up over the centuries by two clubs, and their continued and unabated entitlement. And, by the way, much as it must disappoint you, it wasn’t Scottish football that phoned the SFA, it was only Celtic. 

Was that the season your club wanted an Old Firm game postponed after the death of a player who had left the club almost a decade earlier? Celtic were of form , struggling best player out of the game.
Fast forward a few months
True club legend tragically dies and no calls for postponement as Rangers are dead on their feet. 
Dundee United who were the opposition that tragic day at Motherwell asked for their next game to be postponed but were forced to play as planned despite their players witnessing the tragic death of Phil O Donnell
Forget the end of season bullshit. That was the real scandal that year and yet again the footballing authorities made an absolute bollocks of it. 

The UEFA Final issue aside for a moment, the Green and Grey’s played the SFA like a Violin on this and without shame, and then had the brass neck to talk about the need for sporting integrity.

3 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The UEFA Final issue aside for a moment, the Green and Grey’s played the SFA like a Violin on this and without shame, and then had the brass neck to talk about the need for sporting integrity.

how does sporting integrity reconcile with having a squad on dual contracts?

that is probably the biggest issue and all this other shit  is just frivolous bluster.

17 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Serious question from someone miles away from the sectarian bile that is Celtic and Rangers. Why is “the Green and Grey’s” seen as a nasty thing to call Celtic and their fans?

how does sporting integrity reconcile with having a squad on dual contracts?

that is probably the biggest issue and all this other shit  is just frivolous bluster.

There’s plenty of fair criticism to be made about how our club has been run in the past.

Tearful doubts about the ‘sporting integrity’ of other institutions though. How the f*ck did a club like C*ltic get away with that!!?

7 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

There’s plenty of fair criticism to be made about how our club has been run in the past.

Tearful doubts about the ‘sporting integrity’ of other institutions though. How the f*ck did a club like C*ltic get away with that!!?

ignoring the point. well done

5 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Rangers supporters, staff, ex-staff, no one connected with that club will EVER admit that there was any wrongdoing whatsoever. All these years later it’s still utterly unbelievable. “Never mind us, look at what the other lot did.” I know that it wouldn’t please any other club chairmen/owners, but the sooner these two awful institutions leave Scottish football the better for everyone else.

47 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Serious question from someone miles away from the sectarian bile that is Celtic and Rangers. Why is “the Green and Grey’s” seen as a nasty thing to call Celtic and their fans?

Kincardine started it as rhyming slang for a homophobic slur and the rest blindly followed.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

It's derogatory of their colours so they'll take offence but the loonier types seem to think it's a sectarian slur :lol:

Kincardine started it as rhyming slang for a homophobic slur and the rest blindly followed.

Absolute Bollocks, The Green and Grey jibe has been around for years and describes the colour of a Celt*c tap after it has been worn seven days straight in some tinkhole like Santa Ponsa.

Rangers supporters, staff, ex-staff, no one connected with that club will EVER admit that there was any wrongdoing whatsoever. All these years later it’s still utterly unbelievable. “Never mind us, look at what the other lot did.” I know that it wouldn’t please any other club chairmen/owners, but the sooner these two awful institutions leave Scottish football the better for everyone else.

Read again, didn’t I say there was plenty of fair criticism to be made as to how our club was run? We’ve made our mistakes sure, but it sticks in the craw a wee bit though when a club like Celt*c play the integrity card. That is all!