Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

9 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Why Falkirk? 

Some parts are a mini Mordor.

Mate of mine (Hibs fan) texted me yesterday to say he met a guy from Falkirk on holiday. "Great season for the Bairns eh? You must be excited about the new season?" "Dunno mate, I have a season ticket at Ibrox". End of conversation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/02/scottish-premiership-celtic-rangers

"It took 15 minutes of a recent in-house interview for the Rangers chairman, John Bennett, to offer the kind of triumphalism people at the Ibrox should know by now to avoid. “This is a club that needs to win,” said Bennett. “That won’t change. Rangers is compelled to win.”

Bennett should brush up on his recent history. Rangers have one league title since 2011. Their League Cup record in the same period is identical. They have lifted the Scottish Cup once since 2009. Rangers still exist, still function, still have tens of thousands of season-ticket holders despite winning precious little. We are living in an era of Celtic domination in Scottish football. It is strange for someone of Bennett’s intelligence to trot out this tired mantra, because it will invite inevitable pressure from restless supporters."

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Some parts are a mini Mordor.

Mate of mine (Hibs fan) texted me yesterday to say he met a guy from Falkirk on holiday. "Great season for the Bairns eh? You must be excited about the new season?" "Dunno mate, I have a season ticket at Ibrox". End of conversation.

Swap Falkirk for:

Paisley, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Motherwell, Perth, Inverness, Livingston, Greenock, Hamilton, Airdrie, Ayr, Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, every village in West Lothian/Fife/Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Highlands/Pethshire.....

Swap Ibrox for:

Ibrox or Parkhead

On the Clement contract it seems a strange one, he already had a decent length on his contract. There must have been some changes made on both sides for them to consider doing this at this time. Maybe he gets a slight pay increase now but a set payment if they sack him, maybe he gets guarantees on transfers and can walk if they are not met......

Saying this will guarantee them sticking by him if the going gets tough though is just wrong, if the situation becomes untenable like it did with Gio or Beale then he will be sacked, no way will they persist if it gets toxic. It never got to that stage with Gerrard which is why he got given the time although I think it may well have been going that way had covid not struck.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/02/scottish-premiership-celtic-rangers

"It took 15 minutes of a recent in-house interview for the Rangers chairman, John Bennett, to offer the kind of triumphalism people at the Ibrox should know by now to avoid. “This is a club that needs to win,” said Bennett. “That won’t change. Rangers is compelled to win.”

Bennett should brush up on his recent history. Rangers have one league title since 2011. Their League Cup record in the same period is identical. They have lifted the Scottish Cup once since 2009. Rangers still exist, still function, still have tens of thousands of season-ticket holders despite winning precious little. We are living in an era of Celtic domination in Scottish football. It is strange for someone of Bennett’s intelligence to trot out this tired mantra, because it will invite inevitable pressure from restless supporters."

What good vibes? Seems all doom and gloom.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Won't do it again.

This is the nightmare scenario for Rangers fans. They have to accept they aren't the #1 team in Glasgow in order to stand a chance of getting back there.  

Their domestic record of being the 'best' in Scotland will be equaled this year in terms of the league and surpassed shortly thereafter before they can become competitive with Celtic. All they can really hope for is a Celtic implosion and while that could happen in any given season, over the next 5-10 years Celtic will dominate.

The Rangers fans hold their club back. One of the worst fanbases that I know of for doing that. They should have done this years ago when they were weak anyway and had no chance of beating Celtic. As far as payback for the crap around EBT's this has been a good compensation.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

This is the nightmare scenario for Rangers fans. They have to accept they aren't the #1 team in Glasgow in order to stand a chance of getting back there.  

Their domestic record of being the 'best' in Scotland will be equaled this year in terms of the league and surpassed shortly thereafter before they can become competitive with Celtic. All they can really hope for is a Celtic implosion and while that could happen in any given season, over the next 5-10 years Celtic will dominate.

The Rangers fans hold their club back. One of the worst fanbases that I know of for doing that. They should have done this years ago when they were weak anyway and had no chance of beating Celtic. As far as payback for the crap around EBT's this has been a good compensation.

You basically copy and paste this exact post every month. I think we understand the point you’re trying to make by now, it hasn’t changed since you last made it 😂

Edited by AJF

Celtic have stood still for about 15 years now, it won't take a huge amount for Rangers to catch up really.

16 hours ago, AJF said:

You basically copy and paste this exact post every month. I think we understand the point you’re trying to make by now, it hasn’t changed since you last made it 😂

I like to repeat ideas. It helps to reinforce them especially when something comes along like John Bennett's interview. That's the significant change and what brought me back to this thread was John Bennett's interview.

That's a line in the sand, but only if the fans are on board. A split between the board and fans will help no-one at Rangers. The onus is on your supporters to show that patience they have until now not demonstrated - that's the story for Rangers this season in my opinion and I am looking forward to see if they have it within themselves or will they revert to the short sightedness of demanding to be ahead of Celtic and so on. 

I can't see Rangers fans accepting being second and so I expect to see continued churn, but that's only my opinion and people can surprise you.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

IMG_8923.gif

Pretty good prediction of the Rangers performance before kick off that...

Could find yourselves all but out of the Champions League AND Europa League in 3 weeks time...

Edited by stressball

If you were going to pick a year to bet on a team to split the Old Firm this would be a good one. Depends partly on whether Aberdeen can provide credible competition to Hearts. That would help Rangers if they can. 

The overall strategy and comments coming out of Rangers suggest to me 2nd place would be acceptable to the board. I think this season could be the 1 step back before 2 forward. In that context a point at Tynecastle is reasonable. A concept Clement put out to the public.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, AJF said:

4-5 weeks out for Cortes 🫠

Hagi being sold this transfer window

Propper fit for tomorrow but has had a few busy days 🙄

If I was Cerny, I'd be worried right now. Wright and Matondo obviously have some kind of voodoo dolls of any other wide players we sign. 

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

If I was Cerny, I'd be worried right now. Wright and Matondo obviously have some kind of voodoo dolls of any other wide players we sign. 

Aye, but Matondo is that thick he accidentally made one of himself as he is always crocked as well 😂