The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

11 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

That youngster from Reading Zak Jules who we were linked with in summer, signed on loan at Motherwell

It's incidents like this that bring home the reality of life in the second tier.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If our only signing in this window is Mikkelssen then we're fucked, even for the play offs.

I understand that sometimes a manager has to wait until the window is near closed to get his targets but other teams have brought in players, including loan players, and we desperately need to strengthen. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Cheers, you must be experienced in them

On 25/12/2016 at 15:16, UnitedLoon63 said:

TOP OF THE LEAGUE

HIBS'D IT AGAIN

4TH YEAR DOWN HERE

MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU BUNCH OF CELTIC WANNABE c***s, even that fatty Commons won't help you

dismay.png

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Oh behave yourself. We were top of the league before we signed Mikkelsen.

And Hibs were 2nd in the league before they signed Commons and Humphrey. They're now 8 points clear, as has been kindly pointed out already.

Seems to be a fair amount of angst on Twitter regarding Sean Dillon's testimonial dinner last night (I never got invited despite being his biggest fan). Don't think any board members went along, so the usual abuse is now being directed their way. Another few fans bemoaning the acceptance amongst some supporters of where we actually are now in terms of being in the Championship. Apparently supporters who just 'accept' the fact that we are now in this league are part of the problem.

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Seems to be a fair amount of angst on Twitter regarding Sean Dillon's testimonial dinner last night (I never got invited despite being his biggest fan). Don't think any board members went along, so the usual abuse is now being directed their way. Another few fans bemoaning the acceptance amongst some supporters of where we actually are now in terms of being in the Championship. Apparently supporters who just 'accept' the fact that we are now in this league are part of the problem.

We deserve to have been relegated last season.  I don't think I've encountered a single Arab IRL or on here who thinks otherwise.

Nonetheless we should not simply accept that we are a Championship club.  When you look at the resources that the club has it is reasonable to aim to be an established Premiership club.

Of course we are not alone, the Sevco debacle aside both Hibs and Dundee have been in this league in recent years and both of these clubs deserve to be established Premiership clubs based on their resources; particularly Hibs.

My concern is that the United Board appear to have a level of "acceptance"; this strikes me as an incredibly bad business decision.

59 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We deserve to have been relegated last season.  I don't think I've encountered a single Arab IRL or on here who thinks otherwise.

Nonetheless we should not simply accept that we are a Championship club.  When you look at the resources that the club has it is reasonable to aim to be an established Premiership club.

Of course we are not alone, the Sevco debacle aside both Hibs and Dundee have been in this league in recent years and both of these clubs deserve to be established Premiership clubs based on their resources; particularly Hibs.

My concern is that the United Board appear to have a level of "acceptance"; this strikes me as an incredibly bad business decision.

I don't think anyone looking at the bigger picture accepts that we are a Championship club. We shouldn't be. However from week to week I accept our position when it comes to supporting the team on the pitch and the manager. I am concerned that a fairly sizeable section of the support (and yesterday was an example as we were 800 or so down) will start to vote with their feet as it looks like we haven't got any chance of competing for the league title. This in turn might end up having a negative effect on our budgets going forward. 

The board at the moment are keeping things very close to their chest and it is pretty demoralising as a supporter. They will need to make a decision soon about what they want to invest going forward as our budget if we got promote via the playoffs will be significantly different to the budget if we are in the Championship next year (which is pretty likely). I don't think this season is they key one for the club, beyond this year will be the real test the fans and the board.

Archived