Gordon Strachan

Elixir

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Aye, strange how people keep assuming he might come back. Possibly because the whole retirement thing was a bit odd/not quite definitive. Hutton didn't even come out with a statement, did he?

Apparently we allow players to retire from games against countries who aren't top seeds these days, so you can understand the confusion.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What did he say in that interview that was disgraceful and deluded?

I think you're falling into the dark chasm of hyperbole.

He hasn't certainly said many things that fit both categories. Stating that we need to find ways for the biggest teams to play in the top league is disgraceful. 

Deluded to believe that the biggest teams in the top league is somehow what's best for it.

There is literally nothing that can be said in defence of him at the moment. 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:59, forameus said:

.  I fully expect us to take full points from Lithuania and Malta, and the Slovenia and Slovakia home games could go either way.  Then let him go in the summer, and bring someone good (I shouldn't really have to stress that) in so that we really hit the ground running for Euro 2020.  As I've always said, if we miss out on that, we may as well just give up.

What on earth makes you think we'll beat Lithuania? They utterly outplayed us at Hampden and we were lucky to get a point.

What on earth makes you think we'll beat Lithuania? They utterly outplayed us at Hampden and we were lucky to get a point.

Disagree they "outplayed" us. They benefited from us not being very good, got ahead then protected a lead well. The second half was easily in our favour in general play, just we're hopeless at breaking them down.

So the bit that makes me think we will beat Lithuania is that if we don't beat ourselves, we're a better side than them, and because - most importantly - we'll probably going to be well out of contention by then. If there's one thing we love, it's digging out points when there's already no point.

9 hours ago, forameus said:

Disagree they "outplayed" us. They benefited from us not being very good, got ahead then protected a lead well. The second half was easily in our favour in general play, just we're hopeless at breaking them down.

So the bit that makes me think we will beat Lithuania is that if we don't beat ourselves, we're a better side than them, and because - most importantly - we'll probably going to be well out of contention by then. If there's one thing we love, it's digging out points when there's already no point.

They  were by far the better team at Hampden lol  and will roll us over in the away game.

14 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Is it just me or have there actually been quite a few Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee derbies in the top flight over the last nineteen years?  How many tournaments have Scotland qualified for in that time? 

Oddly enough in 1998 (Hibs/Dundee), 1996 (Dundee and Dundee Utd), 1992 (Dundee), 1982 (Hearts), 1978 (Dundee and Hearts), 1958 (Dundee Utd), 1954 (Dundee Utd) and 1950 (Dundee) those circumstances didn't prevail.

Only in 1990 and 1986 did we qualify while all 6 city clubs were in the top division.

Maybe it was the problem!!

Its a fair point tbh, playing in front of 6000 fans at Dens will clearly be the preparation players need to play at Wembley.

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

#Saviour

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Only people with severe mental disabilities would possibly think Lagerback wouldn't improve Scotland's results.  

They  were by far the better team at Hampden lol  and will roll us over in the away game.

That's absolute nonsense.

We were sluggish but generally controlled the game, without making many chances. They hit us on the break, and then we started to play.

Their game was brilliant but they were not the better team.

44 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Malta is the only game we will win in the remainder of this campaign

Going by the performances so far, that sounds reasonable. If I had to put the house on our final points total for some reason, I'd be looking at five more points as the most likely outcome. Really depends on whether or not Slovenia are still in with a shot of second place when the final game come around.

This thread is in my 'Participated' list and every time I see it pop to the top it pisses me off. I skip loads of posts and see the likes of Lagerback mentioned and I gain a little bit of hope.

Then reality hits me and I realise that the next Scotland manager will more than likely be Malky or the likes of Alex Mcleish or some other Scottish shite no hoper.

The fact that Strachan is the best we can get because of the SFA is utterly depressing. The fact that a foreigner won't be considered purely because Berti Vogts was shite (Less shite than many others) is even more depressing.

I don't mind not qualifying. I'm used to it. I just want a bit of pride and there's no hope of that at least in the near future.

On the crowds thing - I went away and looked it up as it interested me, and since the war... the Boer War, that is :unsure2:... our only sub-10,000 home internationals were a part-boycotted Home Nations game v Northern Ireland in 1969 (7,483) plus friendlies v Chile, Finland and Wales (at Rugby Park) all of which got over 9,000. Hard to tell how things will go v Canada at Easter Road next month - but the crowd v Australia under Levein was 11,000 then v Qatar a few years back was 14,000. So not impossible it could drop toward ignominious levels.

Archived