Champions League 2016/17

lichtie23

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I thought you were joking when you said that! The defender trips over! I'd be raging if that was given against Hearts.

Yes, trips over and wipes out Neymar who's attempting to run onto the ball. The fact he just lost his balance and didn't mean to take him out is irrelevant, it's an absolutely blatant penalty.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you look at the clip he simply trips.

He makes no additional movement towards the player, there is no attempt at bringing the player down, Neymars knee hits his head when he's already fallen. What's the guy meant to do? If anything Neymar runs into him.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

He makes no additional movement towards the player, there is no attempt at bringing the player down, Neymars knee hits his head when he's already fallen. What's the guy meant to do? If anything Neymar runs into him.

You're at it.

Literally everything you've said is irrelevant. It doesn't matter that he made no attempt to bring him down, the fact is that he did. Neymar was running after the ball, he was about to get it then the defender fell into his path and stopped him getting the ball. That makes it a foul regardless of the fact he didn't do it on purpose.

I can't stand that wee p***k Neymar with his diving antics but you have to credit him for that ball into the box for the winner. Unbelievable composure on the weak foot to drop that over the PSG defence onto Roberto. 

Literally everything you've said is irrelevant. It doesn't matter that he made no attempt to bring him down, the fact is that he did. Neymar was running after the ball, he was about to get it then the defender fell into his path and stopped him getting the ball. That makes it a foul regardless of the fact he didn't do it on purpose.

It is relevant because it isn't a foul. Falling over someone does not mean they have fouled you. If you look at the clip, the defender falls outside of the box, they ball is well ahead of both of them and I think that Neymar makes contact with him once he falls into the box rather than the other way around. I think it looks like he could have gone around him.

That psg capitulation is at best on a par with Arsenal last night and at worst the most embarrassing result for a so called big team in recent times. Didn't do any of the same things they did in the first leg which served them so well. Fair play to Barca after this result they will more than fancy their chances of stopping real retaining their title. emery must be absolutely fuming with his team tonight. Hopefully more of the same when Monaco take on city !

20 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

Unintentionally fouling someone is still a foul, this isn't handball.

Anyone who doesn't understand this should not be discussing the rules of the game.

Why should Netmar make a point of running around a player hurtling towards him? 
What an absolute nugget of stupidity that is.

Hurtling towards him? Have you actually seen it? Because that didn't happen.

He could have stayed on his feet and put the ball in the box, like plenty of other players have done in that position.

In my defence, it's hardly clear cut - even the ref looked like he wasn't going to give it initially. You can see he looks reluctant to give it.

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It is relevant because it isn't a foul. Falling over someone does not mean they have fouled you. If you look at the clip, the defender falls outside of the box, they ball is well ahead of both of them and I think that Neymar makes contact with him once he falls into the box rather than the other way around. I think it looks like he could have gone around him.

Falling over someone does not mean they have fouled you if they are already on the ground and you deliberately run into them. Falling over someone does mean they have fouled you if they have fallen directly into your path and impeded you, which is what happened.

He could have stayed on his feet and put the ball in the box, like plenty of other players have done in that position.

Eh? He was running around the defender to get to the ball. Meunier fell after Neymar knocked the ball past him. Staying on his feet, ie not running after the ball and being tripped, would have meant just stopping after knocking the ball past the defender. Plenty of others players do not do that. Is Neymar supposed to not run after the ball in case someone fouls him?

Falling over someone does not mean they have fouled you if they are already on the ground and you deliberately run into them.

Well that's my point, that's pretty much what I think happened.

Anyway, I'd love to argue the point somemore but I'm away to my bed. To dream of Barcelona penalties no doubt [emoji1]

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who doesn't understand this should not be discussing the rules of the game.

To provide some facts for those who are producing their own versions (unintentionally fouling someone isn't necessarily a foul), the actual laws of the game state:

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges • jumps at • kicks or attempts to kick • pushes • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt) • tackles or challenges • trips or attempts to trip

 Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

I'm not convinced enough either way having read that though my instinct when I first saw it was that it wasn't a penalty. I'd say that Lewandowski didn't "act without precaution" when giving away the penalty against Arsenal in the first leg. I'm not really sure what Meunier could do; I don't think that slipping comes under the category of being careless.

19 minutes ago, (._.) said:

He wasn't giving it initially as he was going to converse with his assistant, someone who had a better view of the situation. The referee and his assistant were 100% correct. 

Not at all true. He pointed for a goal-kick.

Archived