Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016

Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Surprised Euro 88 wasn't included.

I think last night has to surpass Euro 2000 in terms of screw-ups. That's worse than going out on penalties or lose to a world class opponent.

Brazil qualifies for a special mention of being generally abject but they were already out (or practically so) before they played Costa Rica, IIRC.

Special mention also of WC 1950 - again in Brazil - losing to USA.

That was a tough group although you'd have thought they would have beaten Rep. of Ireland.

Still remember Van Basten rag dolling them!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last nights game and 2010 particularly stand out. 2010 they believed they were on par with Germany and the fact it was injustice was brilliant. Last night they had the game won before and even at 2-1 down still talking about France in the Quarter Finals, pretty sure Clive Tyldesley even compared Iceland to San Marino.

Your right , that particular World Cup the media were unbearable

The seethe from that and towards ronaldo afterwards was fantastic

The seethe towards Ronaldo was wonderful.  made even sweeter by the fact following that summer he became the best player in England by a country mile

None beat Mexico '86, surely, and we're all familiar with it.

Four minutes of raging about those dirty Argentine b*****ds, immediately silenced by genuine brilliance. Absolutely no arguing who was the daddy, no matter how many times people have tried since   :P

Sweden 92: Pumped oot, group stage, rock bottom

The 1992 tournament was also special.

The Sweden v England game was on the telly.

ITV were broadcasting it.

I think England scored first and a faint group table was shown in the background with England qualifying for the next stage.

Sweden never read the script as they then scored 2 goals and England were left bottom of the group.

That was also the competition where Scotland beat the auld USSR 3-0 which allowed Germany to progress.

I believe that the German team manager promised Craig Brown a case/bottle of scotch.

Of course that was the tournament that Denmark won after Yugoslavia was barred because they were at war with themselves.

Apparently the Denmark players (having failed to qualify) were on their holidays when they were all contacted by phone.

A remarkable and fairy tale result ending.

CIS, not USSR.

<<<Pedant.

The seethe towards Ronaldo was wonderful.  made even sweeter by the fact following that summer he became the best player in England by a country mile

aye am sure rags like the sun were pushing for a get him out of England call

you could tell sir Alex was just sitting there like "aye nae bother ya daft b*****ds"

England very rarely if ever underachieved. I can't think of a competition where they've lost to an inferior team. Last night was close, Iceland may have had inferior players but they certainly weren't an inferior team.

The Beckham hate after 98 seemed like some extreme headsgone meltdown

It really just sums their footballing mentality up and shows just how ugly a business it is for them. The love in which he received 2 years later was absolute cringe as it was bought on by the same hate filled individuals who put him through such a horrendous spell in his life.

I think Germany 2010, purely because the comments before the game were (and I am quoting as I can remember them well due to laughing at it for about 20 minutes) "Thomas Muller isn't used to games like these and he won't know what to do against Ashley Cole" He was already appearing regularly for Bayern about this time and I think had played in their Champions League games so he was hardly some unknown.

Again, complete lack of respect for a team which pretty much demand respect!

I think Germany 2010, purely because the comments before the game were (and I am quoting as I can remember them well due to laughing at it for about 20 minutes) "Thomas Muller isn't used to games like these and he won't know what to do against Ashley Cole" He was already appearing regularly for Bayern about this time and I think had played in their Champions League games so he was hardly some unknown.

Again, complete lack of respect for a team which pretty much demand respect!

The Thomas Muller who started in the CL final against Inter about 3 weeks beforehand? Absolute zoomers.

Surprised Euro 88 wasn't included.

I think last night has to surpass Euro 2000 in terms of screw-ups. That's worse than going out on penalties or lose to a world class opponent.

Brazil qualifies for a special mention of being generally abject but they were already out (or practically so) before they played Costa Rica, IIRC.

Special mention also of WC 1950 - again in Brazil - losing to USA.

Our southerly neighbours were so up themselves prior to this that they declined to enter the world cup and IIRC they had their arses handed to them by Hungary twice in that decade which brought them down with a bump.

It just goes to show that they have always thought they were better than they actually were.

The Germany game 2010 is up there due to Lawrenson's commentary but last night eclipsed it for me. The commentary last night really was fantastic. Add in things like Shearer(who was spot on regarding the Premier League) touting himself for the job and McLaren saying there's nothing to worry about on Sky Sports only for Iceland to score😂. The presenter on the ITV coverage was absolutely spewing too. Last night was the best for me personally.

I think 86 would have been the runaway winner if you'd gone any further back. Hugely enjoyable time after Jimmy Hill's delight with Lineker's hat-trick in the last group match.

But, personally, being in Manchester at the time of the 2010 WC will take some beating.  My pal and I were in a pub (Shakespeare) in central Manchester while the wives were shopping and a TV crew came round to interview staff and punters alike.  This was the day after Rooney had made some comments about the England fans following another poor result (0-0 v Algeria).

Apparently all the bar staff had changed their names by deed pole to Wayne Rooney for the duration of the tournament.  Cue the fairly attractive local news reporter (sorry no pics...I'll gtf) asking a couple of general questions about what people thought of Rooney's attitude and response to the booing fans.  My pal and I turned to the girl and with our broadest smiles and in our strongest Scottish accents confirmed that we thought it was "fuckin' brilliant".  Strangely she and the cameraman, made a quick exit from our side of the bar at that point.

Archived