Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016

Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scotland's would be

2 years to go - general chat about qualifications hope, chat being hope for the team to not be so old firm based

18 months - manager makes some sort of statement about mixing up team , giving youngster a chance meanwhile scotland are drawn against Brazil 1970 , Harlem globetrotters , and the FIFA 16 world 11 team with minnows like lidl's and renford rejects- most are hopefull of a play off finish at best

12 months - Scotland have made a decent start , most probably beat their rivals of similar ability or a miraculous result against group favourites , a youngster from a club like hearts or Aberdeen might make a promising appearance in this game onky to never be seen again

10 months to go - Scotland undo all good work by manager resorting to a team of old firm players , even if they are not regulars in their team and get beat by lidl and draw against the renford rejects - the manager may even try some batshit formation at this point for no apparent reason

6 months to go - Scotland either f**k up finishing in a play off place or get into a play off and put in a gallant effort against a major team only to hit the bar 9 times but still lose 1-0

Tournament on - wee need to review our options , the manager need to stop being so reliant on old firm players

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland's would be

2 years to go - general chat about qualifications hope, chat being hope for the team to not be so old firm based

18 months - manager makes some sort of statement about mixing up team , giving youngster a chance meanwhile scotland are drawn against Brazil 1970 , Harlem globetrotters , and the FIFA 16 world 11 team with minnows like lidl's and renford rejects- most are hopefull of a play off finish at best

12 months - Scotland have made a decent start , most probably beat their rivals of similar ability or a miraculous result against group favourites , a youngster from a club like hearts or Aberdeen might make a promising appearance in this game onky to never be seen again

10 months to go - Scotland undo all good work by manager resorting to a team of old firm players , even if they are not regulars in their team and get beat by lidl and draw against the renford rejects - the manager may even try some batshit formation at this point for no apparent reason

6 months to go - Scotland either f**k up finishing in a play off place or get into a play off and put in a gallant effort against a major team only to hit the bar 9 times but still lose 1-0

Tournament on - wee need to review our options , the manager need to stop being so reliant on old firm players

Think you have misunderstood the thread.

We are all well aware of the fact, but it's worth highlighting again that England's record in penalty shoot-outs is just appalling.

Probably because they regularly come out with such utter delusion as "you can't practice for penalty shoot-outs", "it's just a lottery". Em, how about deciding on an order of takers in good time, repeatedly taking penalty kicks in training sessions, each player picking a side to shoot for in good time and sticking to their approach...

Our southerly neighbours were so up themselves prior to this that they declined to enter the world cup and IIRC they had their arses handed to them by Hungary twice in that decade which brought them down with a bump.

It just goes to show that they have always thought they were better than they actually were.

I'm afraid we haven't any room to crow on that front. We had also declined to enter the World Cups before WWII. Worse still we actually qualified for WC1950 but didn't go... We had declared in advance that we would only go as British champions - possibly as we were looking good to do so being the holders, having smashed Ireland 8-2 away, then beaten Wales 2-0, and hosting England in the concluding game needing only to draw.

Regrettably we lost 1-0, and therefore England won. Despite pleas to the contrary we didn't take-up our place in Brazil. At least the English went.

It was 1953-54 they lost to Hungary: 6-3 home then 7-1 away. Former was their first-ever home defeat to non-UK opposition. We lost v Austria in 1950-51.

We are all well aware of the fact, but it's worth highlighting again that England's record in penalty shoot-outs is just appalling.

Probably because they regularly come out with such utter delusion as "you can't practice for penalty shoot-outs", "it's just a lottery". Em, how about deciding on an order of takers in good time, repeatedly taking penalty kicks in training sessions, each player picking a side to shoot for in good time and sticking to their approach...

And now they can't take free kicks or corners either. Back in the 2000s they generally huffed and puffed, then a player like Beckham got them out of jail with a free-kick or set up one of their centre-backs to hammer in a corner. Now they have to rely on their tactical awareness, incisive playmaking ability, running around the pitch quickly like headless chickens to deliver the goods for them. Their problems lie much deeper then than Hodgson, who like other clown managers like del Bosque paid the price for puffing up the egos of the likes of Rooney at the expense of any tactical system, and caving in to the English media's demands to play more attacking football since the last World Cup. I cannot see how their current 'promising young crop of players' will turn out to be anything other than mediocre sand-dancers - Sterling and Lallana are already there. 

Back on topic, given the fact that last night was still only the round of 16 in Europe, England being turned over by Iceland is both more hilarious and objectively worse than losing to Romania and finishing third in their group in 2000. That was the highest level set for a comparable type of England fail. The horsing by Germany in 2010 was the most crushing fail they've suffered, but humiliation by an island with a smaller population than Edinburgh trumps a thumping by the Teutonic behemoth for me. 

Can remember the living room being crowded that night as family and friends were round and carry outs and food on the go

I was 4 and only interested in my newly purchased wee World Cup ball with the wee French chicken mascot on it

I got one of them from KFC too with a Godzilla toy. Good times

Last nights predictable humiliation is the rock bottom for the expectant English media for sure. Hopefully they'll learn from that, but they won't.

A thread dedicated to England's failure is scant reward for Scottish fans however, who have little else to hold onto at present?

Sums our country up! It will be the same on here this season every game that Rangers drop points, the P&B hordes will be rejoicing even if their own team have just been pumped 4-0 at home. The comparison is clear.

It's mental! Bring it on!

Belg/Neth 2000: England 2-3 Romania:

I remember that game.

The commentator said just before the game that Romania had never ever beaten England.

You just knew what was going tae happen :lol:

The commentator was talking shite because Romania beat them in the group stage in France 98.

My own favourite was in 1996 when the TV cameras picked up Skinner and Baddiel crying like babies.

The commentator was talking shite because Romania beat them in the group stage in France 98. My own favourite was in 1996 when the TV cameras picked up Skinner and Baddiel crying like babies.

So they did :thumsup2

22 June 1998

Romania 2–1 England Stade de Toulouse, Toulouse

I remember that game.

The commentator said just before the game that Romania had never ever beaten England.

That's funny. They beat them in 98, with Dan Petrescu's last minute winner.

Last nights predictable humiliation is the rock bottom for the expectant English media for sure. Hopefully they'll learn from that, but they won't.

A thread dedicated to England's failure is scant reward for Scottish fans however, who have little else to hold onto at present?

Sums our country up! It will be the same on here this season every game that Rangers drop points, the P&B hordes will be rejoicing even if their own team have just been pumped 4-0 at home. The comparison is clear.

Aww bore off Robert ffs

My favourite failures were actually Ronald Koeman decapitating David Platt, then getting away with it to put them out of Usa94 contention; and Croatia's five passes from an England corner, nestling beautifully in the net four days after the baatards laughed their bollocks off at us flailing to Italy.

Ozil giving Barry a 10 yard head start and jogging past him to set up Muller for Germany's 4th for me; as said, the only downside is the Germans declared after that rather than get the 7 or 8 they could have.

Might have missed it but worth also mentioning the opening group game of Euro 2000 when they were 2-0 up vs Portugal after about 15 minutes and Tyledesly was giving it "this is the way we all dreamt it last night". Lost 3-2.

Despite us being utter garbage I'm actually really looking forward to the World Cup qualifiers after this. New England manager could mean they're a bit unpredictable. I would still have them beating us though.

Nope. Mark Saggers.

That is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot believe I've never heard that before.

Grown men booing a refereeing decision during live (surely it wasn't really live) commentary. Amazing.

Greetin about his team getting beat last night and about the Scots laughing at them, then brings up Rangers because folk are constantly laughing about their hilarious failures.

I remember that game.

That's funny. They beat them in 98, with Dan Petrescu's last minute winner.

So they did :thumsup2

22 June 1998

Romania 2–1 England Stade de Toulouse, Toulouse

Perhaps it was the 1998 game that I remember the commentator saying that Romania had never beaten England.

yawn.gif

Archived