Death

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went back to work today, ended up leaving early, wasn't quite feeling right at the time.

Sorry mate, didn't realise your gran had passed away, my condolences. Time's a great healer I feel, and people react differently to death so I would take the time you need to sort your head out, work will always be there.

I was gutted when my gran died, but did have a sense of relief as she had heavy dementia towards the end, she didn't know who any of us were and kept shouting out at nothing when we visited, it was pretty horrible.

Ten years on and I still think of her fairly regularly as I spent a lot of time with her when I was growing up.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Been feeling OK about my Dad dying last Sunday until today. The funeral's tomorrow and the extended family has started arriving, my sister is questioning every decision and I've spent half the day listening to funeral dirges for them to play at the Crem that will keep all the family happy. I'm now officially on strike drinking Stella in the garden and my mood is improving somewhat.

Sarge has asked me to enquire, is it soup and steak pie or will it be a finger buffet?

My old man died from cancer when I was 8, I can vividly remember being pulled out my bed one night at 4am and when I came downstairs my whole family was the in the hall, had absolutely no idea what was going on until my sister took me aside and told me. Strange losing a parent at that age, you don't even really accept it as real, if that makes any sense? It wasn't until I got a bit older that I took on the magnitude of what happened.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Sarge has asked me to enquire, is it soup and steak pie or will it be a finger buffet?

The widow in this case will be 88, and the Good Sergeant's fingering or other more extreme bereavement therapy techniques will not be required on this occasion. And tell him the family home will be watched over by our ex-copper neighbour.

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm worried about the parrot - what happened to it?

Ha!  You know what, I couldn't stop thinking about the parrot for ages after that but I don't know what happened to it.  

I think parrots can live quite a long time so you never know it might still be around.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Ha!  You know what, I couldn't stop thinking about the parrot for ages after that but I don't know what happened to it.  

I think parrots can live quite a long time so you never know it might still be around.

Can't it tell you what happened to the guy?

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

American prosecutors are considering whether to use an African grey parrot's 'statement' as evidence in a murder case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/does-parrots-foulmouthed-squawk-hold-key-to-murder-case/

I'm surprised no one fucking shot it.

Decided to say a few words at my Dad's funeral today. I was seriously hungover and have hardly ever done public speaking before, so was shitting it. My punchlines worked a treat, the audience cracked up. Now considering a new stand up career. Not sure it was entirely appropriate for the occasion though.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Decided to say a few words at my Dad's funeral today. I was seriously hungover and have hardly ever done public speaking before, so was shitting it. My punchlines worked a treat, the audience cracked up. Now considering a new stand up career. Not sure it was entirely appropriate for the occasion though.

Everyone has their own way of grieving though I've never heard of anyone launching a career in stand up on the back of a eulogy tbh.  Commiserations anyway pal.

Glad your aul fella had a good send off mate.

My mate who was my best man and I his, passed away last Thursday age 49

He'd been fighting cancer for 3 years

I'm carrying him in and have a speech to do at the funeral

Don't think it's going to be too easy

Well that's it done, never lifted a coffin before and I was surprised at how heavy it was

The speech went pretty well too

I've never had as dry a mouth in my life

Not sure this is wise, but wtf, I've shared more about my life with P+B about my Dad's death than my own life. Here's my thing at the crem. 

I'd just like to remind everyone what a happy and long life Dad had.

Married to beautiful Jinty for 63 years, Father and Grandad to 7 children and grandchildren who all turned out to be kind and thoughtful adults, apart from me.

A few weeks ago we were supporting the mighty Inverness City football team in Bught Park, leaning on the fence. To be honest Dad didn't really know what was going on, but neither did the referee.

The day before his brief and tenderly cared for last spell in Ward 3A at Raigmore Hospital we walked together to Eden Court, our local, for a half pint of Guinness on a rare sunny afternoon.

Looking back on it I won't bother trying for the stand up job, but it went well.

Archived