Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

I think it's the potential of it (and GTAO) that gets me down.  Go back to GTA3/Vice City and if you said that in future there'd be an online-only version of the game that's basically just a big sandbox you can do anything in, and people would be masturbating furiously over it.  And it should be as good as that, but, particularly with GTAO (I gave RDO a few quick plays but never really got into it, maybe it's different) a lot of the notion of just going in and doing anything is lost.  You're likely going to bump into someone wanting to ruin it for you, either in freemode or within one of the modes.  And there's also the absolutely insane grind you have to put in to get somewhere.  By no means just a Rockstar problem, it's just the way these online games are.  Put in the hours, or be a jobber.  I'm not sure it's possible to have a lot of fun just dropping in, and that's a shame.

Not that I don't know exactly why it's done that way.  They're making fucking bank.

On 17/07/2021 at 12:42, Mr X said:

Hiding is good to stop witnesses but you have to be pretty quick sometimes.

Finding the treasure on maps is easy ... cheat! :lol:

I did cheat. 2 gold bars pay for my fast travel.  Tonight will do more of story and go from there. As I am now wanted again in Valentine and I just paid that bounty off earlier ffs.

Bang on 50 percent on story mode. Was on some boat at Saint Denis. Once you get there so much you can do. ( you all ken this ). Anyway like doing the side missions etc. 

Have one where you are meant to get from Valentine to Rhodes in under 5 minutes. How do I make this happen? I think I have the fastest horse yet its still not saying I'm doing it. 

13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Bang on 50 percent on story mode. Was on some boat at Saint Denis. Once you get there so much you can do. ( you all ken this ). Anyway like doing the side missions etc. 

Have one where you are meant to get from Valentine to Rhodes in under 5 minutes. How do I make this happen? I think I have the fastest horse yet its still not saying I'm doing it. 

I've not done the challenge but do you have the white Arabian horse? 

Following the railway line might be a good strategy and make sure you have the stamina boost to hit your horse with if it runs low. 

2 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

2 hours ago, SANTAN said:

I've not done the challenge but do you have the white Arabian horse? 

Following the railway line might be a good strategy and make sure you have the stamina boost to hit your horse with if it runs low. 

This. Also, make sure you're actually in the town before you start and ride into town at the other end. Sounds obvious but if you dont its not going to register the challenge.

As SANTAN says, the railway tracks are usually the best way to do these challenges.

The worst one was (I think) the last horse journey challenge where you've got to get to Blackwater without touching water.  Did it too early in the game (you guys know when) and got murdered fairly quickly.  Left it until later and smugly thought I was doing so well and I'd smash the time set.  Then realised I'd gone the "easy" way into Blackwater, which involves crossing...water.  When really you have to go that long, circuitous route across the dam, pushing you much closer to the time.

The worst one was (I think) the last horse journey challenge where you've got to get to Blackwater without touching water.  Did it too early in the game (you guys know when) and got murdered fairly quickly.  Left it until later and smugly thought I was doing so well and I'd smash the time set.  Then realised I'd gone the "easy" way into Blackwater, which involves crossing...water.  When really you have to go that long, circuitous route across the dam, pushing you much closer to the time.
Yeah, that one is a bugger. I did exactly the same as you - did it too early and died in the mountains.

I found planning a bit more of a direct route across country worked for that one. IIRC I went straight across country at the start before picking up the railway, then took roads round the dam and into Blackwater.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You're either playing 20 hours a day or rattling through the main story too quickly!

The island bit isn't great and feels a bit tacked on but it's over fairly quickly.

I have went through 2 days of just sticking too story mode. Have lots of side missions ( well did until I came go the island). Plan is once off island too slow down. Gonna do some blackjack when back n doo the gambler ane

I gave up on most of the collecting stuff. Even looking it up on Google, small birds were so hard to find.
I've no idea why I went for 100% in such a massive game. The birds were by far the hardest part and drove me crazy at times but I must have got some kind of subconscious relaxation therapy from doing

I still maintain the game knew when you were hunting for a specific animal and spawned them less often. I used to fall over Opossum's (and I mean that literally!) until I was looking for one and they disappeared. See also racoons and badgers. Christ there was so much fury involved in that game when I think back. Pretty incredible it's still my #1 tbh [emoji38]

Ah hud the bus. So once off this island you can't go back ? 
Yeah you only get one shot at it so if you're intending on completing the compendium you have to do it now.

Apparently there was some glitch to get you back later on but I don't know if it's accurate or 100% certain so I never took the chance.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah you only get one shot at it so if you're intending on completing the compendium you have to do it now.

Apparently there was some glitch to get you back later on but I don't know if it's accurate or 100% certain so I never took the chance.

I'm in too minds whether to complete it or not. I want to complete it however whether I'm good enough is the question. Meh will see. 

I'm in too minds whether to complete it or not. I want to complete it however whether I'm good enough is the question. Meh will see. 
To get 100% isn't particularly difficult tbh (or I wouldn't have got it!) it's just time consuming and requires a shitload of patience. It may be worth trying to get them on the Island as a tester to see if you can be bothered to get them. If you get fed up on there then I imagine you wont be bothered spending hours (and I mean that literally again) hunting wee birds.

To get 100% isn't particularly difficult tbh (or I wouldn't have got it!) it's just time consuming and requires a shitload of patience. It may be worth trying to get them on the Island as a tester to see if you can be bothered to get them. If you get fed up on there then I imagine you wont be bothered spending hours (and I mean that literally again) hunting wee birds.
Im not sure I would describe something that takes so much patience and being in the right place at the right time to catch the right animal/bird as "not particularly difficult".

Im not sure I would describe something that takes so much patience and being in the right place at the right time to catch the right animal/bird as "not particularly difficult".
I suppose. I'm maybe just being harsh on myself.

If it comes to collectables like that I'm capable of doing it. I find it easier than technical requirements - eg. In Batman make a 50 strike combo. Stuff like that I usually can't complete.

Different folk are better at different elements in gaming I suppose.