Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Just picked this up. Enjoying it more than I did retrying the first red dead redemption. Finally out the fecking snow. And currently enjoying random tasks. I cannot use the bow for shite and absolutely shat it from the bear.

Just now, weirdcal said:

Just picked this up. Enjoying it more than I did retrying the first red dead redemption. Finally out the fecking snow. And currently enjoying random tasks. I cannot use the bow for shite and absolutely shat it from the bear.

Dead eye is your friend. Do the chores around the camp to help build it up.

Even though Im playing it through again now and enjoying it just as much as the first time, I'm jealous that you're experiencing it all new

41 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Even though Im playing it through again now and enjoying it just as much as the first time, I'm jealous that you're experiencing it all new

Wait what? You get dead eye from chores? 

I was playing this a month or so ago and saw a critter scurrying about near me, I aimed at it and then it looked to be dead and wasn't moving, I thought this was strange because there was no "x" on the mini map that usually indicates a dead body? Realised the animal was an opossum and it was literally playing dead - of course for anyone unaware these animals actually do this in real life as a defense mechanism and such exists the term "playing possum" - It was so cool to stumble upon something like that like 2 years after initially playing. 

18 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I was playing this a month or so ago and saw a critter scurrying about near me, I aimed at it and then it looked to be dead and wasn't moving, I thought this was strange because there was no "x" on the mini map that usually indicates a dead body? Realised the animal was an opossum and it was literally playing dead - of course for anyone unaware these animals actually do this in real life as a defense mechanism and such exists the term "playing possum" - It was so cool to stumble upon something like that like 2 years after initially playing. 

Yes, yes you do. And honour.

I had an opossum do that to me the other day. The game is full of stuff like that, Ive watched a cougar chase NPCs, a bear roar to scare them off, as well as birds or prey flying off with fish, rabbits etc. And thats on top of the more basic stuff, like birds and other scavengers eating animal  corpses etc.

Add in the scenery and weather and the game really does feel alive

Had this a few times in the game. Until I was hunting for the perfect pelt and couldn't find one of them for love nor money. I'm convinced the game knew when you were looking for a specific creature and intentionally spawned them less! See also Racoons.

Have you stumbled across the giant python yet?

Apparantly you can stand your ground with a grizzly bear and it backs away, I've always absolutely shat it when seeing them though so unable to test it. 

I've not loaded this up since getting the PS5, will it have even better graphics? I'm a bit unsure how it all works with games already out. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had this a few times in the game. Until I was hunting for the perfect pelt and couldn't find one of them for love nor money. I'm convinced the game knew when you were looking for a specific creature and intentionally spawned them less! See also Racoons.

Have you stumbled across the giant python yet?

I was literally tripping over racoons hunting cougars. I could not find a moose anywhere for ages. Finally found one up near where the arabian horse is. It was only 2 stars, so I killed it. Made the rookie mistake of shooting it in the water so now I have to wait ages for the carcus to rot 

41 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Apparantly you can stand your ground with a grizzly bear and it backs away, I've always absolutely shat it when seeing them though so unable to test it. 

I've not loaded this up since getting the PS5, will it have even better graphics? I'm a bit unsure how it all works with games already out. 

Not sure if the PS5 will have better graphics than the PS4. 

I DO know that the PC does 8)

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Think it will have an extra bit of spit and polish but probably depends on the TV? I'm playing FFXV on the Series X and despite being 5 years old it's astonishingly good looking. Dunno what Square Enix have been doing with their games but they all look unreal these days. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 looked unreal.

42 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I was literally tripping over racoons hunting cougars. I could not find a moose anywhere for ages. Finally found one up near where the arabian horse is. It was only 2 stars, so I killed it. Made the rookie mistake of shooting it in the water so now I have to wait ages for the carcus to rot 

Not sure if the PS5 will have better graphics than the PS4. 

I DO know that the PC does 8)

Although I am a PC gamer at heart yet not in wallet I must say RDR2 controls don't seem suited to PC at all. 

You ever messed around with any mods? 

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Think it will have an extra bit of spit and polish but probably depends on the TV? I'm playing FFXV on the Series X and despite being 5 years old it's astonishingly good looking. Dunno what Square Enix have been doing with their games but they all look unreal these days. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 looked unreal.

How are you enjoying the Series X? Did I read correctly you're also after a PS5? 

I must say as a cynic when it comes to graphics, after seeing such huge leaps from ps1 to ps2 etc I've been a bit sceptical over how much better they can actually be at this point but i have been mightly surprised and impressed with the graphics on the PS5. Loading time is rapid

The only downside is the lack of paddles on controllers and the lack of Iplayer and 4od (or whatever it is now) 

12 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Although I am a PC gamer at heart yet not in wallet I must say RDR2 controls don't seem suited to PC at all. 

You ever messed around with any mods? 

I use a 360 controller, so the controls are basically identical to the PS4. 

There arent that many mods available, certainly not in the way there are for Skyrim or Fallout. Most of them are Reshader configs. I've got one of those and a couple of others - a hunting wagon that Ive never used, one that hangs your torch on your belt so you  keep both hands free and one for fast travel to and from anywhere. Im trying not to use the last one too much, but it is handy for nipping to locations to go hunting or over to the fence and for heading back to camp. It drains the horses health and stamina as if you'd rode normally, so its not too OP

ETA - I forgot one. I also have one that changes the NPC behaviour when theyre injured. Supposed to make them hobble and limp if they've been shot in the leg etc. Also makes them take longer to die from normal shots

Edited by Mr X

Oh I know, it's just painful trying headshots at distance to get pelts etc. Want to level up the dead eye to skip the difficulty.
It's been a beautiful experience.

And to follow the other chat re controls, I had the 360 and Ps3. One of the deciding factors on keeping the 360 was the control. There is something reassuringly weighty about the xbox controls over the ps ones. Even the wiiu Pro controller felt better (and it's absolutely mad battery life did not hurt either ).

I'm going to redownload this for my ps5, probably won't go near the offline again, I just can't replay such a game properly. 

Been a few months since I've been on so I'm hoping there's been some good updates with the online. 

53 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'm going to redownload this for my ps5, probably won't go near the offline again, I just can't replay such a game properly. 

Been a few months since I've been on so I'm hoping there's been some good updates with the online. 

Angry Black And White GIF

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Still worth playing then? Haven't played any of this series but I'm itching for a new world to get immersed in before the Mass Effect remake.

Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

16 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Still worth playing then? Haven't played any of this series but I'm itching for a new world to get immersed in before the Mass Effect remake.

100%

I just struggle to replay story games that I get immersed in, like a one time thing for me, I'd love to be able to play it again fresh. I'll warn you most people find the snowy bit at the start a bit tedious but I loved it all and that part doesn't last too long.

I'm predicting this game will win the PnB no1 spot in the other thread. 

• 3 months later...

Just started playing this online again. What a game. The opposite to GTO, I noticed in typical Rockstar fashion they've completely nerfed how much Gold you can get from missions though which isn't brilliant. Looking forward to a big Summer update where they're going to add in robbing homesteads. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Late to the party. Just started this. This is class. The compendium I think will do me just grand. So much to discover. Still on chapter 1 

I'm very jealous.