Lorry crash in Nice

G-MAN

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They're distancing themselves from the Russian Ambassador assassination saying the gunman was an apostate and nothing to do with them.

He's clearly too snappy a dresser to be in ISIS.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They're distancing themselves from the Russian Ambassador assassination saying the gunman was an apostate and nothing to do with them.

The Russians have been leaving them alone in Syria so far, makes sense. Very rarely that they don't claim the credit for an atrocity or murder however tenuous the connection.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Russians have been leaving them alone in Syria so far, makes sense. Very rarely that they don't claim the credit for an atrocity or murder however tenuous the connection.

Except that the Russians really don't leave ISIS 'alone' in Syria.  They were heavily involved in bombing them during the Syrian Army's reoccupation of Palmyra and have been bombing them again since ISIS recaptured it earlier this month:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-pulls-out-of-ancient-palmyra-after-heavy-russian-bombing-a7467996.html

They haven't devoted nearly as much resources to bombing ISIS as they have other rebel factions but they are also by no means ignoring them completely, nor are ISIS avoiding confrontation with the Russians.  Just yesterday they claimed to have shot down a Russian helicopter:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2436098/isis-shoots-down-russian-attack-helicopter-in-syria/

And of course they've claimed involvement in terror attacks targeted against Russia previously, notably the downing of Metrojet Flight 9268 last year, which people seem to have forgotten about.

None of that means that they did necessarily have anything to do with this attack, but the idea they aren't actively trying to target Russia or Russians and that the Russians for their part haven't been attacking them is totally inaccurate.

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

And Turkey have been buying their oil so unlikely ISIS would want to pick a fight with them

Except ISIS have been picking a fight with them recently, as Turkey has been involved in backing its preferred rebel factions against them in the north since this summer and has generally turned its back on them entirely preferring to try and mend relations with Israel and Russia.  

ISIS don't claim attacks in Turkey according to this analysis because they don't want to alienate the sympathies of the more radical Islamist elements of the Turkish population and to stoke up antagonism against the Kurds (although several of the attacks have been against Kurdish targets as well):

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/29/why-isnt-isis-claiming-the-istanbul-airport-bombing/

It's been generally accepted though by the Turkish and Western governments/intelligence agencies that they were behind attacks such as these:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/20/several-dead-in-suspected-terrorist-blast-at-wedding-in-turkey

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/turkey-bombing-investigation-focuses-on-homegrown-isis-cell_us_561d3f0de4b050c6c4a2fc48

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jun/29/istanbul-ataturk-turkey-airport-attack-explosions-rolling-report-updates

In this case it's possible again that the attacker was linked to ISIS but that they have followed this pattern of not claiming attacks within Turkey.  Of course he might have had nothing to do with them at all.  It has been suggested he had links to Al-Nusra, for example, which is possible.  And of course Erdogan will surely blame the Gulenists anyway as he always does, especially given it was a (perhaps ex)policeman. 

Anyway the point is ISIS have an agenda against the Russians as has been well documented and are widely believed to have carried out attacks in Turkey without claiming responsibility, so they aren't off the table as suspects just yet.

4 hours ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Talking of Bratwursts they are only €3 in Berlin so say £2.60-£2.70 but they charge £5 up Princes Street. I like them and was going to get one today seen as I was hungry but I wasn't that hungry

They are more like €1.30 outwith the tourist traps.

I think it seemed to be a bit confused as to whether ISIS did even claim the attack as, at least last night, the Washington Post said it did however it was being said that they had taken their authority from The Sun that was monitoring a dodgy twitter feed that was not an IS one.

Perhaps they have received a more solid claim since then though.

Not a nice feeling mate, glad she's OK.

Thanks, did make me feel a bit sick but the chances of her being hurt were obviously slim - I knew she'd been to Christmas markets a few days prior thankfully.

She's shaken up and it ruined her last night all the same, but perspective is needed, it's the families and friends of those killed that you feel for.

1 hour ago, Alex_14 said:

Thanks, did make me feel a bit sick but the chances of her being hurt were obviously slim - I knew she'd been to Christmas markets a few days prior thankfully.

She's shaken up and it ruined her last night all the same, but perspective is needed, it's the families and friends of those killed that you feel for.

Inconsiderate b*****ds that ISIS mob.

Is Alex's girlfriend the same woman who was raging that the lorry crash in Nice had ruined her day out at the shops?

She also isn't a fan of Mike Ashley, telling Sky Sports News that "He's ruined my life". The comments came after Newcastle drew 0-0 at home to Fulham. Probably.

Archived