Turkey

19 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Libya for a start. Im not saying it was a good regime etc but why did we go into overthrow Gaddafi and not Erdogan both are completely mental.

Erdogan plays on prejudice - same as Farage. But he's been properly elected reasonably recently. I have a friend who went over as an independent assessor of the election process in Kurdish areas and he didn't observe anything untoward. That doesn't mean it didn't happen of course but then great democracies have suffered from hanging chads.

But to compare Turkey with Libya is utter nonsense. Not that there was reason to go in there and empty Ghadaffi - we'd tolerated him for donkeys years. But boys and their whims eh? 

Turkey will feel pretty unstable for a while but it's too strategically important not to support it. And this boy is there legitimately whether the west likes it or not. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all protests are clamped down on. Obviously there are concerns when anyone is elected on a ticket built around religion but we're not averse to a bit of kettling in this country. 

57 minutes ago, Mozzamozza said:

Send them all our unemployed.

Well take their clever ones and the good looking women.

On the bus heading for Mozzamozza as we speak as, under Turkish law, that was technically a proposal.

image.jpeg

The government are now ruling by decree and have the power to bypass parliament to make laws, suspending the human rights convention and also considering bringing back the death penalty. If I was one of the soldiers involved in the failed coup I would, quite frankly, be shitting myself.

This is a fascinating analysis of the Turkish coup attempt by Turkish Economist Dani Rodrik, including a theory of why the attempt was so shoddy. In summary: it wasn't definitely the Gulenists, but as we stand it's the only plausible possibility.

For those in the "Anyone But Erdogan" camp, here's a few words of his about the Gulenists:

They have a disturbing record of targeting, slandering, harassing, imprisoning their perceived opponents – military officers, journalists, police commissioners, politicians -- leading on a few of occasions to their deaths.

Full article.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrests continue as Erdogan clamps down on those accused of backing the coup.

Rapprochement with Russia has led to talk of leaving NATO and closer military and industrial cooperation with Russia.

Turkey given up on EU membership so will seek closer ties in other markets.

Hakan Suker has warrant for his arrest issued.  He's currently in the US. 

US moves nuclear weapons from Incerlik airbase to Romania.

It's all happening :(

Who'd have seen this happening after Turkey shot down that Russian jet? There's talk of them letting the Russians use the base where the Americans keep their nukes, that's top trolling.

It looks like Iran is getting in on the action as well.

8 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Who'd have seen this happening after Turkey shot down that Russian jet? There's talk of them letting the Russians use the base where the Americans keep their nukes, that's top trolling.

Russia's revenge is not to get back at Turkey, more to use Turkey as its bitch. 

I still think the truth behind the coup would be very interesting indeed, especially Russia's involvement, and I'll bet you anything Russia was involved.

Archived