Dundee United v Queen of the South.....

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You bunch of DAB's will need to get the three points here, that Dumfries is a b*****d of a place to go and get a victory. 'Must win' game. IMO.

Is it as difficult as Peterhead or Methil? Asking for a friend

40 minutes ago, the tactician said:

many pubs round about the stadium worth a visit? 

Frews is your best bet.  Coldside roundabout (or Coldside circle if you speak Dundonian).

15 hours ago, the tactician said:

many pubs round about the stadium worth a visit? 

Watch what you're doing here. I know a St Johnstone supporter that got followed and intimidated by a section of these tangerine thugs.

Not a chance we'll be booing Durnan.  As has been stated he was well liked and a very good player for us.  That said I'm not completely shocked he had a difficult first season with United.  He had is ropey moments for us, particularly when played without an experienced partner such as Dowie or Higgins.  I think they helped with his positioning, which needs to be good as he isn't the fastest.

I actually thought of all our players to leave for pastures new that Summer, he had made the wisest move given United's recent history of nurturing young talent.  It was obviously a disastrous season for everyone at the club though, and not a great environment to be learning your trade at a higher level.  If you stick with him this season I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  He should coast it at this level, especially in a side that will presumably be on top most weeks.  Daft though it sounds, I'd much rather he made a success of things at United, than came back to us.

For what it's worth, of the United games I saw last season, I thought Coll Donaldson was a far bigger bombscare than Durnan ever was.

Not a chance we'll be booing Durnan.  As has been stated he was well liked and a very good player for us.  That said I'm not completely shocked he had a difficult first season with United.  He had is ropey moments for us, particularly when played without an experienced partner such as Dowie or Higgins.  I think they helped with his positioning, which needs to be good as he isn't the fastest.

I actually thought of all our players to leave for pastures new that Summer, he had made the wisest move given United's recent history of nurturing young talent.  It was obviously a disastrous season for everyone at the club though, and not a great environment to be learning your trade at a higher level.  If you stick with him this season I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  He should coast it at this level, especially in a side that will presumably be on top most weeks.  Daft though it sounds, I'd much rather he made a success of things at United, than came back to us.

For what it's worth, of the United games I saw last season, I thought Coll Donaldson was a far bigger bombscare than Durnan ever was.

You can have Durnan back If you really want.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Which games are you thinking of where Durnan didn't play alongside either Dowie or Higgins?

46 minutes ago, Flash said:

Which games are you thinking of where Durnan didn't play alongside either Dowie or Higgins?

There was one at Alloa in Fowler's first season about Xmas where Higgy called off ill and Dowie was serving the second match of his two game ban for stamping on Ian Black.Alloa v QoS Dec 14

Durnan played alongside Hooper that day.

Without checking them all, would there not have been games in the 2nd division title season that Higgy missed before Dowie was with us?

Was he noticeably poorer alongside Dowie than Higgins, or vice versa?  I do remember thinking at the time who he played with made a difference, and now I think about it, it obviously had to be one or the other as we didn't really have any other centre halves.

I could of course just be talking rubbish.  He definitely had the odd ropey game, although no more than you'd expect for his age and experience at the time.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There was one at Alloa in Fowler's first season about Xmas where Higgy called off ill and Dowie was serving the second match of his two game ban for stamping on Ian Black.Alloa v QoS Dec 14

Durnan played alongside Hooper that day.

Without checking them all, would there not have been games in the 2nd division title season that Higgy missed before Dowie was with us?

Having a quick check through that season`s reports Durnan was partnered by Ryan McGuffie in central defence on 4 occasions. Challenge cup semi victory v Arbroath, victories over Forfar 3-1 and Stranraer 5-0 in league plus a 1-1 draw in the league at Arbroath.

Also partnered by Stephen Black in a 2-0 league win V Stranraer.

Archived