St Johnstone v Hearts, Betfred League Cup Round of 16, Wed 10 August 2016

PauloPerth

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts had a lot of the ball without doing much.

Great goal from Swanson, not sure how we were behind at ht
Soft pen for Hearts.

Actually think Swanson simulated contact for the penalty, stuck his leg out to ensure he was brought down.

Well done Brad Mackay for not fucking up.

Anderson motm again.

Great night for Saints with a first home cup victory over Hearts in 43 years. It was a game that swung back and forward but after we got ahead for a second time, didn't look like surrendering it. Although Hearts hit the post early on, Saints with their lead looked comfortable without having any real control before a failure to clear our lines let Hearts get back in the game, then capitalise on Scobbie's injury to lead.

The equaliser came about when Saints conceded a second free kick in quick succession on the edge of the area and although Mannus saved fairly well from Muirhead, Shaughnessy failed to clear, Kane let Rossi past him too easily and Paterson had stayed forward, heading in well. The first free kick had been blasted over by Ozturk after being conceded stupidly by Paton, who had gifted Sammon his early opportunity from which he hit the post, inadvertently causing Scobbie's injury as well when he lost the challenge from Paton's hospital pass. He'd gone to ground in an attempt to mask a lack of mobility that was regularly evident. He was booked for mouthing off at the penalty and was scared to make a tackle after that, again down to a lack of agility. He also had two horrendous backwards punts that set Hearts on the attack late on. Hope and need so see much more from him in future.

Scobbie appeared to shake off the early knock but was caught by Sammon after the equaliser and although received lengthy treatment and hobbled off, came back on and conceded the penalty within what seemed like seconds. Hard to be too critical of him in the situation though. Although Saints had never looked dominant, to be 2-1 down was harsh, as Hamilton had made a couple of decent saves after what was a stunning opener from Swanson. Saints won a free kick on the right after Rossi had pulled back Craig and with the named and Wotherspoon over the ball, they shifted it to Swanson who seemed to hit the ball in an unorthodox manner but it mattered little as it flew past the goalkeeper from fully 30 yards.

Actually thought Hearts looked more likely to pinch a third than us an equaliser as the second half wore on; although we'd forced Hamilton into another couple of good saves there was no consistent pressure on the Hearts defence. Swanson's head was starting to go down as it does when he tires and he'd been booked for snipping at the referee when he'd been unfairly penalised but a loose ball on this edge of the box saw him pounce and as he surged into the area, Ozturk slid in, certainly not making any contact with the ball but how much with Swanson I'd maybe question too? Having watched Walker cooly despatch in a way our players never seem to manage, it was a relief and pleasure to watch Swanson send the keeper the wrong way.

Saints had looked inventive and a threat from set plays, so maybe no great surprise the winner emanated from one. Hearts were picking up our main guys at corners but after that appeared to be zonally defending the six-yard box, so any flick at the near post was always going to cause problems and so it transpired. Not sure who got the flick but McKay came steaming in behind and nothing was going to keep his header out. As important as that was, it's up what happens at the other end that he'll be judged on and he defended pretty well, particularly in covering in behind Anderson on occasion. He had one moment where he forgot himself and tried to be a footballer but he did himself no harm to tonight.

Of the rest, Shaughnessy didn't have his best night by his high standards and what he offers going forward from full back remains an issue. Alston was more involved than at the weekend and had a couple of decent efforts on goal and I thought Liam Craig was fine. Wotherspoon looks a bit like a guy that hasn't quite got going yet after a disrupted pre-season and Wright's decision to put him centrally rather than Alston when MacLean came on was a good call on the fitness front. Kane worked as hard as ever but I'd like to see us try and use his pace without the ball better by going in behind more maybe. Think he plays best as a lone striker possibly?

Hearts seemed to have a lack of drive about them, guys too happy just to pass the ball rather than make something happen. 57% possession but half the number of efforts on goal and on target than Saints. They never looked like getting back in the match after going 3-2 down.

Aberdeen away isn't the draw anyone would have picked but I think Saints have done enough in recent years to earn the right to say we shouldn't be overly fearful of any game. Looking forward to a night under the lights at Pittodrie in a competition that has been a breath of fresh air.

Hearts fans were getting awfy excited whenever Watt touched the ball[emoji38]

No wonder. They must be used to hopeless pumps up to Sammon who just let's it bounce past him

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No wonder. They must be used to hopeless pumps up to Sammon who just let's it bounce past him

Sammon. It's like they stuck a nightclub doorman in a football kit.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Great night for Saints with a first home cup victory over Hearts in 43 years. It was a game that swung back and forward but after we got ahead for a second time, didn't look like surrendering it. Although Hearts hit the post early on, Saints with their lead looked comfortable without having any real control before a failure to clear our lines let Hearts get back in the game, then capitalise on Scobbie's injury to lead.

The equaliser came about when Saints conceded a second free kick in quick succession on the edge of the area and although Mannus saved fairly well from Muirhead, Shaughnessy failed to clear, Kane let Rossi past him too easily and Paterson had stayed forward, heading in well. The first free kick had been blasted over by Ozturk after being conceded stupidly by Paton, who had gifted Sammon his early opportunity from which he hit the post, inadvertently causing Scobbie's injury as well when he lost the challenge from Paton's hospital pass. He'd gone to ground in an attempt to mask a lack of mobility that was regularly evident. He was booked for mouthing off at the penalty and was scared to make a tackle after that, again down to a lack of agility. He also had two horrendous backwards punts that set Hearts on the attack late on. Hope and need so see much more from him in future.

Scobbie appeared to shake off the early knock but was caught by Sammon after the equaliser and although received lengthy treatment and hobbled off, came back on and conceded the penalty within what seemed like seconds. Hard to be too critical of him in the situation though. Although Saints had never looked dominant, to be 2-1 down was harsh, as Hamilton had made a couple of decent saves after what was a stunning opener from Swanson. Saints won a free kick on the right after Rossi had pulled back Craig and with the named and Wotherspoon over the ball, they shifted it to Swanson who seemed to hit the ball in an unorthodox manner but it mattered little as it flew past the goalkeeper from fully 30 yards.

Actually thought Hearts looked more likely to pinch a third than us an equaliser as the second half wore on; although we'd forced Hamilton into another couple of good saves there was no consistent pressure on the Hearts defence. Swanson's head was starting to go down as it does when he tires and he'd been booked for snipping at the referee when he'd been unfairly penalised but a loose ball on this edge of the box saw him pounce and as he surged into the area, Ozturk slid in, certainly not making any contact with the ball but how much with Swanson I'd maybe question too? Having watched Walker cooly despatch in a way our players never seem to manage, it was a relief and pleasure to watch Swanson send the keeper the wrong way.

Saints had looked inventive and a threat from set plays, so maybe no great surprise the winner emanated from one. Hearts were picking up our main guys at corners but after that appeared to be zonally defending the six-yard box, so any flick at the near post was always going to cause problems and so it transpired. Not sure who got the flick but McKay came steaming in behind and nothing was going to keep his header out. As important as that was, it's up what happens at the other end that he'll be judged on and he defended pretty well, particularly in covering in behind Anderson on occasion. He had one moment where he forgot himself and tried to be a footballer but he did himself no harm to tonight.

Of the rest, Shaughnessy didn't have his best night by his high standards and what he offers going forward from full back remains an issue. Alston was more involved than at the weekend and had a couple of decent efforts on goal and I thought Liam Craig was fine. Wotherspoon looks a bit like a guy that hasn't quite got going yet after a disrupted pre-season and Wright's decision to put him centrally rather than Alston when MacLean came on was a good call on the fitness front. Kane worked as hard as ever but I'd like to see us try and use his pace without the ball better by going in behind more maybe. Think he plays best as a lone striker possibly?

Hearts seemed to have a lack of drive about them, guys too happy just to pass the ball rather than make something happen. 57% possession but half the number of efforts on goal and on target than Saints. They never looked like getting back in the match after going 3-2 down.

Aberdeen away isn't the draw anyone would have picked but I think Saints have done enough in recent years to earn the right to say we shouldn't be overly fearful of any game. Looking forward to a night under the lights at Pittodrie in a competition that has been a breath of fresh air.

Agree about Paton, he had a couple of mental hoofs when facing the wrong way in the second half that sent their left winger away.

I also thought we missed a Murray or Midge in centre mid in the first half as I thought that even though we had 3 CM's in there they played thru us a lot, and that's the least competitive I'd seen our centre mid for a while, certainly very few tackles getting won.  Different story in the second half.  

Paton had been doing well in the previous matches, but obviously far tougher opponents tonight and he wasn't quite as effective.

Sounds like it was a good game. Could almost have been screenwritten for Swanson & Brad McKay to score the goals for Saints! How's Brad been doing for you guys? I liked him at Hearts but felt he was still a bit raw and needed a really experienced CH alongside him to talk him through the game.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Paton had been doing well in the previous matches, but obviously far tougher opponents tonight and he wasn't quite as effective.

I didn't see the Bradford or Stirling games but thought even though he was decent against Brechin, the lack of mobility was evident. You get right-footed players but Paton almost seems right-bodied, he can't do anything on his left side! Those two backwards punts highlighted it more than anything, he can only kick in the direction he's facing. His inability to make a tackle on a booking was a worry too and you felt the only way he'd have stopped the Hearts players was by fouling them.

Despite all that, I will give the guy a chance but at the moment I'm wondering if we've upgraded on Lappin or Brown?

4 hours ago, sjc said:

How's Brad been doing for you guys? I liked him at Hearts but felt he was still a bit raw and needed a really experienced CH alongside him to talk him through the game.

He hasn't, before last night. That was his first appearance in 12 months. He had a really poor start to last season and never recovered. Maybe last night will be the turning point and he has a chance surely of starting on Saturday. He needs to listen to Anderson beside him if he wants to succeed and I imagine Tommy Wright will be looking for him to show a willingness to do that.

And have Hearts fans seen Neilsons comments? He feels you were too attacking last night and need to tighten up further whenever you go in front. 

What a horrible man.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And have Hearts fans seen Neilsons comments? He feels you were too attacking last night and need to tighten up further whenever you go in front. 

What a horrible man.

He's a bare faced liar who say's anything he needs to detract from his own deficiencies.

'The experience will come'.  Fucking when?  We're into your 3rd season and we're continuously making sloppy mistakes.

'It's been a while since we drew a lower league team'.  And?  Is that really your excuse for losing a tie you were leading with 17 minutes to go?

I want him to turn it round with the fans but people are losing patience with him.  Our style of football has regressed, he expects players to get used to the league but how's that going to happen when we chop and change the squad so much during the close season?  It's also the 2nd season in a row where we've not got our business done before the season starts so we go into games with glaring gaps in our squad. 

Lose on Saturday, which isn't exactly unlikely, and the pressure will really start to show.

Thought once Maclean came on our shape and structure changed for the better. Swanson was as good as I've seen him (albeit only a few times), Anderson shaded his battle at the back against Sammon and whilst Sammon didn't ever look like scoring (post effort aside) he's certainly a handful and with Watt fully fit I think they'll come good as a pairing. Atmosphere was brilliant last night and what an entertaining match. Aberdeen away suits me from a selfish point of view staying up here and would probably have that at 50/50 as we've had the measure against them in recent times.

Archived