SNP Deputy Leader

Dunning1874

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, strichener said:

When SNP politicians start thinking for themselves the tend to find that they are punished. Look at Margo MacDonald for an example of the SNP punishing someone for questioning the leadership.

Here is what was said when she was only put 5th on the Lothian List, a decision which would have effectively ended her parliamentary career:

Announcing her decision Ms MacDonald said: "I've always put people before party. As such, I'm out of step with the party control freakery which is all too evident in the executive coalition and the SNP."

Alex Neil
Alex Neil said he was sad "it's come to this"
Alex Neil MSP, a long-time ally on the left of the party, said he believed more could have been done to keep her on board.

He said: "I think that every party and every political system should be big enough to accept that you will get people who have a particular individual contribution to make.

"We should be able to accommodate that within parties and within the general political system."

He added: "I think it is a loss for the party and I'm sorry that it's come to this."

I dont agree with what happened to Margo and I was a huge fan of hers but that really is half a story. It wasnt simply a matter of disagreeing with the partypolicy (ie policy decided by the membership, not the leadership) but actively briefing against the party and missing three line whip votes.

Apart from that do you have any evidence more recent than 13 years ago?

The union will be left to sink. Much like that ferry you name yourself after.

No it won't. The Scots are starting to see through this embarrassing rabble. No economic case, no currency, a huge financial void, scrambling about trying to cling on to the failing EU, yet leaving our neighbours and biggest trading partners. No chance!

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I dont agree with what happened to Margo and I was a huge fan of hers but that really is half a story. It wasnt simply a matter of disagreeing with the partypolicy (ie policy decided by the membership, not the leadership) but actively briefing against the party and missing three line whip votes.

Apart from that do you have any evidence more recent than 13 years ago?

Missing three line whip vote (singular) for which she received a written warning.  She also wasn't briefing against the party, she was voicing her opinion on policies, some she agreed with, others she didn't.

In regards to evidence, I don't need any more - the people that were in the party at that time are still there.  I would say this is far more evidence of how the SNP treats their elected representatives than your example of single free vote on a bill initiated by an independent.

12 hours ago, Fide said:

Have you been replaced by a slightly weird robot? You used to be alright.

I think that is two or three times you have said something similar.  If you disagree with the contents of the posts then give me a counter-argument.  The fact that many on here cannot see fault in the SNP does not reflect my own position - they are vehicle for independence, not some all knowing, fount of wisdom.

47 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

No it won't. The Scots are starting to see through this embarrassing rabble. No economic case, no currency, a huge financial void, scrambling about trying to cling on to the failing EU, yet leaving our neighbours and biggest trading partners. No chance!

You're right. People are "seeing through it". Seeing through the bullshit that the union was built upon, which is why support for independence continues to steadily increase.

56 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzBWSdFTSIlokIdL11AMr

I think that is two or three times you have said something similar.  If you disagree with the contents of the posts then give me a counter-argument.  The fact that many on here cannot see fault in the SNP does not reflect my own position - they are vehicle for independence, not some all knowing, fount of wisdom.

Much to your astonishment, I don't agree blindly with every SNP policy.  I too see them as a vehicle for independence.  When we are an independent country,  my vote is up for persuasion.  You just seem to have adopted a bizarre SNPbad rhetoric of late.

28 minutes ago, Fide said:

Much to your astonishment, I don't agree blindly with every SNP policy.  I too see them as a vehicle for independence.  When we are an independent country,  my vote is up for persuasion.  You just seem to have adopted a bizarre SNPbad rhetoric of late.

I am not astonished by this, I am pretty sure that the only ones that agree entirely with the SNP policies are those that have been elected. ;)

I am not posting SNPbad rhetoric, if this is the case then you can always post a reply.  For example, did the SNP know about the VAT position of Police Scotland years before the body was formed and were they given a alternative structure that would have resulted in the body being exempt from VAT but with less direct control from Holyrood?

I am not astonished by this, I am pretty sure that the only ones that agree entirely with the SNP policies are those that have been elected. ;)

I am not posting SNPbad rhetoric, if this is the case then you can always post a reply.  For example, did the SNP know about the VAT position of Police Scotland years before the body was formed and were they given a alternative structure that would have resulted in the body being exempt from VAT but with less direct control from Holyrood?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be open to hearing more about it.

Did you know that the SNP offset the bedroom tax, offer free prescriptions and have a jolly lovely leader?

:)

1 hour ago, Fide said:

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be open to hearing more about it.

Did you know that the SNP offset the bedroom tax, offer free prescriptions and have a jolly lovely leader?

:)

Yes and I have commented on these issues previously.

Possibly not on the last one though.  In best P & B tradition - Wid. :P

On 08/08/2016 at 09:17, Glen Sannox said:

With Brexit, there is one less thing to see through. With the UK leaving the EU there is no membership for the SNP to lie about. Anybody that has actually bothered to read into International Law and EU rules regarding state succession will know that it is not possible for Scotland to remain in the EU despite the claims of the SNP

Laws never change?

It isn't the law, it is the treaties and these would require all the members agreeing to change them. Funnily enough, the exact same members that would be required to agree to Scotland's membership. Either way, the barrier is the same.

Rules and Treaties do change. But they change when there is a valid reason to change them. The SNP getting what it wants is not a valid reason to change either.

The current Laws regarding state succession and EU treaties regarding EU entry are more than fit for purpose. There is no reason to change them.

Archived