SNP Deputy Leader

Dunning1874

10 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:

Treaties never change? Rules never change? Laws never change? We don't live on a dynamic ever changing planet? I'm not taking a side here our arguing one way or the the other, simply stating that things change

The salient point here is that it would require the consent of the same parties.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, strichener said:

The salient point here is that it would require the consent of the same parties.

What has any of this to do with the SNP Deputy Leader contest?

You should start a thread called 'strichner's opinions' and see if anyone wants to play.

On 05/08/2016 at 15:45, Granny Danger said:

I certainly think there's something wrong with the education system and social policy in Scotland when I read shite like you have posted.

On 05/08/2016 at 19:43, Granny Danger said:

When, and only when, the Scottish Government (whatever their political flavour) has control over the whole of the Scottish economy can we condemn them for failings in our services.  Whilst Westminster hold the purse strings it is ridiculous to criticise the way the Scottish Government split the resources that are handed to them.

On 05/08/2016 at 20:30, Granny Danger said:

'Most of the purse strings'.  Can't change VAT rates, can't change Corporation Tax, can't change personal tax bands, can't increase higher tax rate exclusively, can't change excise duty, can't change fuel duty, can't change NI rates or bands, no control over defence spending.....yeah we really have control of most of the purse strings.  :1eye

On 06/08/2016 at 11:16, Granny Danger said:

I actually agree with the first part.  However until we have complete control over our finances we don't have complete control over expenditure.  We are effectively determining how to best spend a budget that someone else is setting.

On 06/08/2016 at 17:39, Granny Danger said:

Superb contribution.  Right up there with the best of your posts.  Well done!

23 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What has any of this to do with the SNP Deputy Leader contest?

You should start a thread called 'strichner's opinions' and see if anyone wants to play.

You should perhaps read over your own contribution to the thread before commenting on others. 

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

You should perhaps read over your own contribution to the thread before commenting on others. 

Thanks for doing that.  The posters in this forum should get the opportunity to read all my posts twice.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of voters with a fundamentalist tendency having a disproportionate influence on the outcome of a leadership election - Labour doesn't have the monopoly on such scenarios. Slipping under the radar in this summer of political turmoil is the Scottish National Party's depute leadership race.

It's provoking its fair share of poison within the party and there will be implications for Westminster.

The New Statesman there describing something that doesn't seem to be happening.

ETA full article.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/08/how-snps-deputy-leadership-race-could-pave-way-pro-corbyn-pact

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Robertson will win but the person who I wish had stood is Derek Mackay. Don't buy the patter that it somehow would have been a mistake to have the leader and depute leader both be MSPs.

Agreed, but I do think that he's the best choice at this time. He got my first preference.

On 6 August 2016 at 16:28, FlyerTon said:

A £1.13 billion Glasgow City Deal was announced in 2014. 

Loose change. Bank Tube station's refurb cost half a mill. HS1 managed an incredible 11 miles of track for the £7Bn cost that conveniently included the new Stratford International along with a major revamp of St Pancras which even more conveniently was linked to King's Cross which was also completely refurbed. It's almost like the train sets are just an excuse for refurbing London's infrastructure, funded by the UK purse. 

HS2, which most still think of as future-speak, has already let some construction contracts which, surprise surprise, relates to the redevelopment of Euston.

When Tories talk about the Northern Powerhouse they're talking about Hertfordshire. 

Archived