League 2 Attendances

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The North remembers!

Come on, surely you don't believe this nonsense? Your crowds are low because the community remembers Cowdenbeath as a top flight club?

During the same time period you are talking about Clyde we're winning the Scottish Cup, three times. No Clyde fan is deluded enough to think we should be replicating that. You only need to dial it back ten years to when we were a only a few points of promotion to the SPL. Again, nobody is expecting that we will achieve that any time soon.

What were you crowds like, during the season you came close to promotion to the SPL?, only curious, no other reason

Yes Arbroath may have spent more years in top flight since the War but Cowdenbeath of course were cheated out of their top flight place after the war in 1946

So were Arbroath. We finished above Cowden in the abortive 1939/40 season, and hadn't actually played them in the league since our last division 2 encounter on our way to promotion in 1934/35.

By 1938/39, Arbroath were in our 5th consecutive season in the top flight. Cowden had played 5 division 1 matches over the same period and had only been promoted in 1938/39.

I would suggest that placing Arbroath in division B in 1946 was a bigger injustice than placing Cowden there. Remind me who finished bottom of division B that year?

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

So were Arbroath. We finished above Cowden in the abortive 1939/40 season, and hadn't actually played them in the league since our last division 2 encounter on our way to promotion in 1934/35.

By 1938/39, Arbroath were in our 5th consecutive season in the top flight. Cowden had played 5 division 1 matches over the same period and had only been promoted in 1938/39.

I would suggest that placing Arbroath in division B in 1946 was a bigger injustice than placing Cowden there. Remind me who finished bottom of division B that year?

This when the rivalry started with Arbroath and Cowdenbeath! :lol:

You played us at Gayfield in 1939/40 in the wartime league that was set up when the SFL stopped operations. You didn't finish above Cowden in the SFL as the league was abandoned after a few games so nobody finished at all. Cowden won 6-0 in our 1939/40 meeting.

Cowden of course had spent a decade in the top flight just before Arbroath went up.

You can suggest what you like but Arbroath were no more deserving than Cowden - the subject being discussed wasn't Arbroath though rather it was Cowden. Cowden finished bottom so what?

You played us at Gayfield in 1939/40 in the wartime league that was set up when the SFL stopped operations. You didn't finish above Cowden in the SFL as the league was abandoned after a few games so nobody finished at all. Cowden won 6-0 in our only match v you in 1939/40

Cowden of course had spent a decade in the top flight just before Arbroath went up.

You can suggest what you like but Arbroath were no more deserving than Cowden - the subject being discussed wasn't Arbroath though rather it was Cowden. Cowden finished bottom so what?

What were you crowds like, during the season you came close to promotion to the SPL?, only curious, no other reason

The average would be between 1000-1200 from memory. Probably had a core home support of around 800ish plus decent travelling supports consisting of more than 3 men and a dug.

My understanding was Cowdenbeath were put into the SFL B Division after WWII because they quit the SFL Eastern League halfway through in 1939-40.

Clubs who'd soldiered-on through the remainder of the season - in many cases the remainder of the war - were hardly going to overlook that.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

My understanding was Cowdenbeath were put into the SFL B Division after WWII because they quit the SFL Eastern League halfway through in 1939-40.

Clubs who'd soldiered-on through the remainder of the season - in many cases the remainder of the war - were hardly going to overlook that.

Most of our players were too busy to play football as they were away fighting a war.

Archived