FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with anything that (sometimes) rewards draws more than wins. It also encourages diddy teams not to go for a win in a home game, which is their best chance of victory, reducing the chances of shocks, and reduces the chance of a penalty shootout. Everyone knows penalty shootouts are ace.

Pitch invasions to celebrate drawing against a team are shite.

They're also less exciting for a television audience, and any sporting competition which deters a TV audience is foolish.

I also like the thought that small clubs can take huge supports to cup matches, galvanising an entire town which had previously shown little interest. For midweek away games, this is very difficult as people have to get time off work and, if it's not the school holidays, children can't go at all. I don't particularly like midweek league games but at least people can plan ahead for them to an extent, and they tend to be more run-of-the-mill in nature, anyway.

They're also much more impractical that they used to be given the dominance of European games and the awkwardness of rearranging fixtures. Two years in a row, for instance, the television audience has been denied the opportunity to see who wins the best tie in the Scottish Cup (Hibs v Hearts), because of UEFA's enforced monopoly of TV schedules. (I know that's Scottish rather than English but I'm opposed to replays in any cup!).

Get the two legs in the Coppa Del Rey and the ludicrous home advantage for seeds in the Copa Italia to f**k while you're at it.

If Sutton somehow make it through it will be absolutely incredible that a non league side is in the semi and will play at Wembley. If not, Lincoln fans will enjoy a once in a lifetime match at the Emirates.

Spurs Millwall should be tasty. Hopefully Millwall sneak through on their quest for cup glory.

Arsenal were knocked out of the league cup in 2012-2013 by Bradford, who were then in League Two, so anything's possible.

At Bradford, though. Unless Sutton pull off an absolute miracle, there's no chance Lincoln will progress.

15 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They're also much more impractical that they used to be given the dominance of European games and the awkwardness of rearranging fixtures. Two years in a row, for instance, the television audience has been denied the opportunity to see who wins the best tie in the Scottish Cup (Hibs v Hearts), because of UEFA's enforced monopoly of TV schedules. (I know that's Scottish rather than English but I'm opposed to replays in any cup!).

I may have lost your train of logic here: but you would scrap replays because UEFA rules mean TV can't show some replays? They couldn't be showing any if they were scrapped?!?!

What I meant is, if you scrap replays, TV companies can show the entirety of the tie. As they can just show the extra time and penalties during the first game played at a weekend.

If it goes to a replay, TV audiences have sat through ninety minutes and are denied watching the climax of the tie. Due to UEFA's ludicrous TV monopoly.

I always feel a drawn first game tends to be anticlimactic anyway. You just have to do it all again. It's one of those traditions which just seems, to me, to be a tradition for tradition's sake.

My one drawback of scrapping replays would be that some dickheads (ie the Premier League) would probably start trying to get the initial game moved to midweek. Which would be w**k.

I'm sure I beat Arsenal 6-3 or some similar ridiculous score with Salisbury City once in the cup on FM. I think we had made it from the Conference to the Championship by that point but our budget was still League Two-esque, so it's quite possible.

Cue Sutton being 3-0 down within ten minutes.

How often has there been football on BBC on a Monday night? Feel like I've never watched a (domestic) game on BBC on a Monday evening.

Derby vs Leicester in Round Four.

West Ham vs Man City in Round Three.

Macclesfield vs Oxford in Round Two.

Eastleigh vs Swindon in Round One.

Apart from that though, yeah I can't remember it ever happening.

I'm not watching, but is it not the case that most of them are ex-players who played in an era when plastic pitches were, without doubt, a massive advantage to the home teams?

They're far better now, I just think some pundits haven't realised that the surfaces have improved massively since the early nineties.

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Derby vs Leicester in Round Four.

West Ham vs Man City in Round Three.

Macclesfield vs Oxford in Round Two.

Eastleigh vs Swindon in Round One.

Apart from that though, yeah I can't remember it ever happening.

They were on Friday, not Monday. 

Archived