New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Adams (albeit not a great example given his "Summer Of Dross 2K14") said on more than one occasion that 'foreign' players represented better value for money than UK (i.e., Scottish) players. 

I think it makes some sense for clubs like us and the Cat Ticklers who are full time and 'remote' and might struggle to recruit (without incentives) home players who'd need to move. Foreign players considering a move to Scotland are going to have to relocate anyway, so presumably less of an issue.

23 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

A question for Tartantony.

What is the reaction from the rest of the Celtic fans when you are against joining the English Premier league in favour of playing the current Scottish Premiership?

If im being honest Gaz, I very rarely speak to an OF firm that agrees with me on Scottish football so generally im laughed at. The standard comment is "Scottish fitbaw is pure shite Tony, a League One team in England would win the SPL at a canter", which they know pisses me off and gets me going. Most of them don't even realise the league is called the SPFL Premiership and still use SPL or more annoyingly call it the SPFL.

I have 2 groups of close mates, which equates to 16 of us. 14 Celtic fans and 2 Rangers fans. There are 2 of us that go to games and a few others that take in the odd game here and there. I would say that 14 of them would rather sit in the pub on a Saturday watching soccer Saturday, betting on English football, excited about their Fantasy Premier League team and generally just having a massive wankfest to the EPL. I throw every stat in the world at them which proves in my mind that Scottish football is better than English football and it has no impact other than making me look even more like an idiot.

So in summary the reaction is that I'm an idiot for loving Scottish football and hating the EPL

If im being honest Gaz, I very rarely speak to an OF firm that agrees with me on Scottish football so generally im laughed at. The standard comment is "Scottish fitbaw is pure shite Tony, a League One team in England would win the SPL at a canter", which they know pisses me off and gets me going. Most of them don't even realise the league is called the SPFL Premiership and still use SPL or more annoyingly call it the SPFL.

I have 2 groups of close mates, which equates to 16 of us. 14 Celtic fans and 2 Rangers fans. There are 2 of us that go to games and a few others that take in the odd game here and there. I would say that 14 of them would rather sit in the pub on a Saturday watching soccer Saturday, betting on English football, excited about their Fantasy Premier League team and generally just having a massive wankfest to the EPL. I throw every stat in the world at them which proves in my mind that Scottish football is better than English football and it has no impact other than making me look even more like an idiot.

So in summary the reaction is that I'm an idiot for loving Scottish football and hating the EPL

Your mates are fannies

The Old Firm are part of Scottish football, they are here to stay and that's that.  They aren't leaving.  The Premiership in England has a deal worth billions - the Old Firm aren't going to add to that.  If there is going to be a European superleague (I don't think there will be)  they won't be involved.  So both Old Firm fans thinking they are going to swan off and be massive, massive clubs somewhere else and fans of other teams day-dreaming of them leaving are both wasting their time.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Your mates are fannies

Thing is Lichtie, a lot of these guys grew up never missing a game and still love their team, which is clear to see. They just seem to have been captured by the marketing beast down South and fell for it and no longer see Scottish football as relevant. I imagine that there are a hell of a lot of football fans in this Country that are the same, no matter what club they support.

This is why things like this BBC programme are so harmful to our game, they basically confirm what those fans think. If the SPFL/SFA/BBC/Media in this country would just do something to bum up the Scottish game on a regular basis then attitudes will change. People nowadays don't want to think for themselves, they form opinions on what they see in Social Media or on the TV. English Media have told us for years they have the best league in the world, which we know is nonsense, but people have bought into that idea and believe it to be true. Whether we use Standfree's idea of just picking an aspect of the game and promote the shit out of it or we start doing something different to create some interest we are not going anywhere.

The media have been utterly pathetic in the last few months, promoting this idea that Scottish football is ready to start again after being on hold for 4 years. I don't even mind them bumming up the fact that Rangers are in the top league, but surely they could be talking about the progress all the clubs have made both financially and on the park during those 4 years, the fact that so many clubs have won trophies, the fact that Aberdeen have ran Celtic close, Hearts improvement, Ross County and ICT fairy tale stories. If they packaged it like that then people would be interested, instead they run with the complete negative and make viewers think that Scottish football has been shite when its been fuckin amazing. Its no wonder people aren't interested in us.

Thing is Lichtie, a lot of these guys grew up never missing a game and still love their team, which is clear to see. They just seem to have been captured by the marketing beast down South and fell for it and no longer see Scottish football as relevant. I imagine that there are a hell of a lot of football fans in this Country that are the same, no matter what club they support.

This is why things like this BBC programme are so harmful to our game, they basically confirm what those fans think. If the SPFL/SFA/BBC/Media in this country would just do something to bum up the Scottish game on a regular basis then attitudes will change. People nowadays don't want to think for themselves, they form opinions on what they see in Social Media or on the TV. English Media have told us for years they have the best league in the world, which we know is nonsense, but people have bought into that idea and believe it to be true. Whether we use Standfree's idea of just picking an aspect of the game and promote the shit out of it or we start doing something different to create some interest we are not going anywhere.

The media have been utterly pathetic in the last few months, promoting this idea that Scottish football is ready to start again after being on hold for 4 years. I don't even mind them bumming up the fact that Rangers are in the top league, but surely they could be talking about the progress all the clubs have made both financially and on the park during those 4 years, the fact that so many clubs have won trophies, the fact that Aberdeen have ran Celtic close, Hearts improvement, Ross County and ICT fairy tale stories. If they packaged it like that then people would be interested, instead they run with the complete negative and make viewers think that Scottish football has been shite when its been fuckin amazing. Its no wonder people aren't interested in us.

You speak too much logic for a Celtic fan.

I am wary of it.

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

Sadly it's an all too common occurrence in pubs over the weekend.

I've been a Falkirk since I was 6 and a ST holder since I was 16. I do wander down to see Liverpool on occasion (apologies in advance for having an English team) but Falkirk is my team. The young guys at work all say they support Rangers or Celtic but all they want to talk about is EPL, Champ lge or Fantasy football teams.

It's quite sad to see their vast knowledge of the English game and yet you baffle them when you talk about who Hearts have recently signed or the new guy coming through at Dundee Utd.

The next generation of football fans up here is gonnae be sparse to say the least. Even though a lot of clubs do free STs for kids, once they catch that Sky Sports bug they are off.

10 hours ago, Tartantony said:

You were doing so well until "Ross County fairytale"

On 16/08/2016 at 20:13, RedRob72 said:

Never ceases to amaze me, the number of punters on here, who slate the OF.
The "Scottish Football doesn't need the OF, our game would be so much better without them" brigade...but spend an inordinate amount of time posting about them! It doesn't make sense.

I know what you mean.

You get these people who claim they hate ISIS yet seem to spend a lot of time talking about them! It doesn't make sense.

8 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You were doing so well until "Ross County fairytale"

Indeed.  There's absolutely nothing fairytale about that shower.

Charlie Christie in the news today claiming that a "Five U21s in the matchday squad" rule should be brought in to help develop youngsters.

He's been added to the "absolute moron" list.

He needn't worry.  ICT produce great young players all the time.  We've always got lads starting for the Scotland under 21's.

Our youth setup is one of the best in the country actually.

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Old Firm are part of Scottish football, they are here to stay and that's that.  They aren't leaving.  The Premiership in England has a deal worth billions - the Old Firm aren't going to add to that.  If there is going to be a European superleague (I don't think there will be)  they won't be involved.  So both Old Firm fans thinking they are going to swan off and be massive, massive clubs somewhere else and fans of other teams day-dreaming of them leaving are both wasting their time.

Experience in North America would suggest that a European Super League would be on a franchise basis so if someone wanted to stage big time Euroleague football in Glasgow and had the money to but a franchise then they could

14 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with folk going from Arbroath to support Celtic. If that's genuinely your only problem with the OF then you need your head checked.

Given that the rest of the thread is bemoaning an environment there are people from Rutherglen who support Manchester United it still seems somewhat pertinent.

I'd rather a model whereby our domestic league was home chiefly to Scottish players.  I'm perfectly happy that the best of them will be attracted elsewhere.  It wouldn't remotely trouble me if every single Scotland player played his club football outside Scotland, but I don't want domestic players to be denied a route into the game because cheaper labour can be imported.

Then you're advocating a policy in the best interests of the Scottish international team - not a policy in the best interests of Scottish football. Which and always has been dominated by the club game.

The straightforward economic facts are that Scottish clubs hold a major financial and marketing advantage over literally dozens of domestic leagues across Europe: if clubs exploited that strength then Scotland's domestic league would be of a substantially higher quality and club results in European competition would be markedly better. Cheaper and higher quality labour is the solution.

Experience in North America would suggest that a European Super League would be on a franchise basis so if someone wanted to stage big time Euroleague football in Glasgow and had the money to but a franchise then they could

Any ESL would be based on already existing 'franchise' clubs - not artificial constructs. There is no credible business plan to allow a single Team Glasgow' into what would be an elite European competition.

Archived