New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

OF expansion is an interesting discussion, tbf.

European Cup thing isn't very surprising tbh. Since 1967 the only winners outside the 'Big 7' of England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, France (once) and Portugal (twice) have been Steau Bucharest in 1986 and Red Star Belgrade in 1991 (as Yugoslavia), which were both before CL era and fall of communism.

Leagues like Belgium, Russia, Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, the Scandanavian nations and so on have still never produced a champion.

In all European trophies we have to go back to 1983 but again the only winners other than the 2 mentioned have been Dynamo Kiev in 1986 (CWC as USSR), Gothenburg in 1987 (UC), Mechelen in 1988 (CWC), Galatasary in 2000 (UC), CSKA Moscow in 2005 (UC), Zenit St Petersburg in 2008 (UC) and Shaktar Donetsk in 2009 (EL). We've had 3 losing finalists in that period.

Therefore in the "modern era" - since the Warsaw Pact collapsed, TV money took-off, Bosman came in, groupstages started, etc. - only Turkey, Russia (twice) and Ukraine have won anything.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As I said when the thread started, it depends what they're trying to do.

If it's simply a historical documentary then - unless badly researched - it's hard to go wrong. Although as some have noted you may be accused of focusing on certain clubs.

They have produced some decent historical documentaries in the past. Sportscene anniversary was pretty ropey, but "That Was the Team That Was" turned out pretty decent. Granted that Rangers and Celtic were the only clubs to feature twice (as did Scotland), but Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Raith and Leeds also got an episode.

If it's trying to combine historical documentary with contemporary comment and a sort of quasi-investigative journalism - "the state we are in" type stuff - it's a much bigger ask.

'That was the Team that was' was a really good series.  The Hearts one in particular, was very moving.  I managed to miss the Raith Rovers and Leeds ones though.  I wasn't even aware of them.  

Leeds sounds like a bit of an anomoly. I assume it was to do with the number of Scots in their mid 70s team?

I'm looking forward to tonight's programme.  I may enjoy it, or I may just enjoy getting angry.

33 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I wonder how much they'll airbrush of the Old Firm bigotry and Rangers being cheating b*****ds.

That will be interesting actually.

Going by the trailers, a part of the narrative seems to involve clubs overspending to ridiculous degrees - Stuart Cosgrove refers to the rot setting in when wages start to escalate wildly.  The obvious endgame here surely concerns what happened to the most apparently wealthy, powerful and ostentatious spender.  The language used in tiptoeing through liquidation and the re-birth will be worth hearing.

Archived