The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Guessing these playoff games are all-ticket.

The game at K Park has to be. Not much over 600 capacity. I would have gone to one of the games, but no chance of a ticket for the first match and not traipsing to Stranraer.

The second leg at Stranraer won't be all ticket. Not unless half the town decide to suddenly show their support.

Edited by PELE

Now reading we're a plastic club 🤣

Grown men too.

Is it a fear that their own clubs are on a shoogly peg, jealousy that ek are successful in their own league?

It's just fitba.

On the subject of a stadium site- the best site I can think of in East Kilbride is actually a construction site just now for a ground being built by EK YM, on the Kirktonholme pitches, right beside the train station and within walking distance of the village for any decent pubs, and the town centre for, well, nothing really.

I see plans are in place for the demolition of Centre West after only about 20 years, and building of houses on that site- now there’s a vanity project that would put the Keans to shame.

In an ideal world for EK, that may have been a shout. It could have brought more footfall to yet another of Scotland‘s ailing shopping centres in its more modest guise, and landed the club right in the heart of the community, but even with their money, I’d imagine the costs would have been prohibitive.

On a side note, I’ll be interested to see what happens with EK YM and their community stadium. Suspect they may well end up in the West of Scotland League at some point, with EK Thistle’s slow demise making way for them.

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Grown men too.

Is it a fear that their own clubs are on a shoogly peg, jealousy that ek are successful in their own league?

It's just fitba.

It doesn't take a lot to work out why the league was a closed shop for over a century. 

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Grown men too.

It's just fitba.

Agreed, never ceases to amaze me how some posters on here get wound up by other clubs, often citing - lack of fans, you’ve no history, blah blah blah. I would take it as a compliment that they are having a go.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

On the subject of a stadium site- the best site I can think of in East Kilbride is actually a construction site just now for a ground being built by EK YM, on the Kirktonholme pitches, right beside the train station and within walking distance of the village for any decent pubs, and the town centre for, well, nothing really.

I see plans are in place for the demolition of Centre West after only about 20 years, and building of houses on that site- now there’s a vanity project that would put the Keans to shame.

In an ideal world for EK, that may have been a shout. It could have brought more footfall to yet another of Scotland‘s ailing shopping centres in its more modest guise, and landed the club right in the heart of the community, but even with their money, I’d imagine the costs would have been prohibitive.

On a side note, I’ll be interested to see what happens with EK YM and their community stadium. Suspect they may well end up in the West of Scotland League at some point, with EK Thistle’s slow demise making way for them.

There is parking for about 20 cars at most at the ekym kirktonholme site. Its a nightmare to get parked there on a saturday for an amateur game. Would be a total non starter as a site for ekfc. Although i agree the location is spot on.

27 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

There is parking for about 20 cars at most at the ekym kirktonholme site. Its a nightmare to get parked there on a saturday for an amateur game. Would be a total non starter as a site for ekfc. Although i agree the location is spot on.

Aye, that’s true. There is however, a school across the road from it. I’m not sure what parking facilities it has, but given that football matches don’t tend to clash with school hours, perhaps that could double up?

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

Aye, that’s true. There is however, a school across the road from it. I’m not sure what parking facilities it has, but given that football matches don’t tend to clash with school hours, perhaps that could double up?

Theres very little parking there aswell mate. If u pass down that road at 3 o’clock when school run is on its chaos. Doesn’t take much extra traffic and the area is gridlocked.

1 minute ago, johnmc80 said:

Theres very little parking there aswell mate. If u pass down that road at 3 o’clock when school run is on its chaos. Doesn’t take much extra traffic and the area is gridlocked.

Yeah, I drive by there from work at 5pm every weekday and it can be a nightmare. But in the actual town there aren’t many alternatives. Suppose the biggest bit of available land would be the old Motorola site, but that wouldn’t be any better than K Park or Langlands, given the distance from any public transport links.

1 hour ago, johnmc80 said:

I might be misremembering but wasn't parking one of the concerns as well for the Showpark?

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I might be misremembering but wasn't parking one of the concerns as well for the Showpark?

Was more access roads in and out that was main issue. And objections from nearby houses.

Not a massive fan of EK, but I hope they win the play off. Yes money has bought success for them, but not a believer in Stranraer getting a 2nd chance of survival. 

The pyramid needs to flow, clubs will find themselves at the correct level eventually. 

The LL will be a good competitive league in 4-5 years once the dross is relegated. B Teams are done, and we are faced with a league of ex SPFL clubs and ex Junior clubs.

4 hours ago, Toby said:

Yeah, I drive by there from work at 5pm every weekday and it can be a nightmare. But in the actual town there aren’t many alternatives. Suppose the biggest bit of available land would be the old Motorola site, but that wouldn’t be any better than K Park or Langlands, given the distance from any public transport links.

The old Motorola site was bought over and developed by Copart, it's a massive car auction/disposal site now. 

It is tough to see where else a ground could realistically go. I thought Langlands West, at the Lindsayfield end of where the newly dualled road could be an option but it's not much better than the current proposed site. 

As johnmc80 mentioned earlier the land at Peel Park would have been quite good (sure that was earmarked for a Tesco/Dobbies in years gone by) but is now housing and about to be the new Hairmyres Park & Ride.

Accessibility is the real issue - the only sizeable bit of land within the town boundaries I can realistically think of is at the back of where they built the Barratt houses on the Rolls Royce site - I think you could fit a stadium & parking in there with access from Law Place, but road network is probably not up to stadium traffic. That could be phase 2 of the housing development there though which would rule that out... probably why the shite location on Hurlawcrook Road is the selected site I guess.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Grown men too.

It's just fitba.

There are some complete fannies posting in some of the League 2 threads like they are fans of some big time clubs, which is not the reality in any way.

I suspect you are right, they will be worried that EK will spend their way through, and out of, League 2 making them look like chumps.

Edited by Cowdenleith

Do you really not understand why people wouldn't want a club in their league from a soulless town, playing in a soulless stadium, forty-five minutes walk from a train station and miles from any pubs, instead of one they've built up over a century of history playing against in the centre of a historic town?

No, it must be jealousy.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Do you really not understand why people wouldn't want a club in their league from a soulless town, playing in a soulless stadium, forty-five minutes walk from a train station and miles from any pubs, instead of one they've built up over a century of history playing against in the centre of a historic town?

No, it must be jealousy.

Is that a new criteria in the SPFL, if you have a history and come from a historic town you can’t be relegated?

9 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

Is that a new criteria in the SPFL, if you have a history and come from a historic town you can’t be relegated?

That would be very nice for Bonnyrigg.

I don't think anyone's saying Stranraer shouldn't be relegated, just that they'd rather share a league with Stranraer than East Kilbride.