The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

A professional football club in EK Dodgy idea has been around since the 1960s.

Bringing in Clyde or doing a 1960s Clydebank Juniors style card trick with East Kilbride Thistle was looked at and failed because the original East Kilbride Development Corporation didn't want the baggage brought into the new town.

Unbelievable at the time when Clyde moved out to Cumbernauld when the possible potential support base was living in EK Dodgy.

53 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Yep agree with you on that, it's probably the furthest away and most inconvenient site that they could have in the whole town. 

Difficult to see where else they could go with the options available. In an ideal world the community trust would have been able to use the old Rolls Royce factory which was then bought and developed on by Barratt. They also missed a trick with the large plot now occupied by Copart, that at least would have been kind of walkable from the town centre and accessed off Stroud Road and not far from the recently dualled Greenhills Road.

I think it's been determined that redeveloping John Wright stadium would be a no-go in terms of traffic, at least if the community council were hopeful of utilising the stadium for things like concerts & large scale events outside of football.

They owned the land that went from the back of the st james centre all the way to th k woodlands (near tax centre) 
This would have been a perfect spot. Good road access into it and the new hairmyers train station is being built right there. Plus a few pubs and eating places close by or by train from village.

But houses now built there on some of it. 

Yep that would have been ideal.

I suppose with no other viable alternatives, and to avoid years and years of red tape delays through planning departments etc when trying to identify a new site then I'd rather see a new stadium at Langlands than nothing at all - assuming that the pre-covid planning permission is still even valid with nothing having been done.

The club is really going to need it to commence sharpish if they get past Club 42 in a fortnight's time.

3 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Yep that would have been ideal.

I suppose with no other viable alternatives, and to avoid years and years of red tape delays through planning departments etc when trying to identify a new site then I'd rather see a new stadium at Langlands than nothing at all - assuming that the pre-covid planning permission is still even valid with nothing having been done.

The club is really going to need it to commence sharpish if they get past Club 42 in a fortnight's time.

Planning approval last 3 years from issuing date iirc

Reading some of the comments about Stranraer and their history and blah blah blah, mick Kennedy this or that, i hope we pump them.  There's no god given right to be in the spfl. The only good thing for Stranraer is that their season boils down to 2 games,  im sure they'll be up for it. They can continue to be stinking next season too if they win the play off. Just win 2 games and yer fine.

Stranraer is the last team i wanted if i’m being honest. 
Wasn’t going to be easy whoever we got though.

Team know whats in front of them now. Need to go get the job done.

6 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

Stranraer is the last team i wanted if i’m being honest. 
Wasn’t going to be easy whoever we got though.

Team know whats in front of them now. Need to go get the job done.

I was more worried about Clyde 

12 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Reading some of the comments about Stranraer and their history and blah blah blah, mick Kennedy this or that, i hope we pump them.  There's no god given right to be in the spfl. The only good thing for Stranraer is that their season boils down to 2 games,  im sure they'll be up for it. They can continue to be stinking next season too if they win the play off. Just win 2 games and yer fine.

Totally agree.....

Can't believe there's now 5 or 6, I think former SPFL clubs relegated and we've still got club 42 getting a 2nd chance.

If you finish bottom, your down end off .

54 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Stranraer will have a tough task avoiding the drop to the LL.  

EK strong favourites over the 2 legs.

I think it might be tight, especially with Flanagan missing the 1st leg. EK’s defence is the weak spot,  In saying that Stranraer haven’t impressed me this season, so will be an interesting couple of games.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

If mick wasn't our manager would we be getting good luck messages?

The hard on some folks have for him is incredible. 

You've got previous experience of this, what happened then?

Edited by FairWeatherFan