The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It was part of the McLeish Report's recommendations. 2011 SFA AGM members voted to progress some of those. SFA Board changes, the Professional & Non-Professional Game Boards, merge SPL & SFL, introduction of licensing, set-up a pyramid system were amongst it.  Regan as Chief Exec was just carrying it out. 

Yes Stewart Regan came in as an outsider thus sought to make his mark by changing Scottish football by taking forward some of the reviews ideas plus he was reacting to the Rangers situation from the previous year.  He helped package up a league reconstruction  package which involved a single league body, fairer financial distribution, parachute payments, play offs and the pyramid.  

Flaws though were the lack of financial distribution of some sort down into the new pyramid and the lack of a coherent league set up in the Lowland area due to the junior/senior divide 

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pretty amusing reading EK fans complain about the injustice of the pyramid when they've just watched their side buy the title. 

FWIW I generally believe the top side should be promoted/bottom team relegated. But I make an exception in regards to Team 42. Why should they be subjected to a glorified development league? The LL is a farce and I think it's quite right Team 42 get the chance to avoid the cesspit. 

so on this basis you are happy for say Elgin to be automatically relegated if they finish bottom?

Is there any chance EK could look at a change in the dugout? I know it's disappointing to lose the final but looking at it objectively, Kennedy and Ferry done a really good job and won the LL at a canter and should have got past Stranraer over the two games in terms of chances etc - not much the coaching staff can do if players don't put the ball in the net.

22 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Is there any chance EK could look at a change in the dugout? I know it's disappointing to lose the final but looking at it objectively, Kennedy and Ferry done a really good job and won the LL at a canter and should have got past Stranraer over the two games in terms of chances etc - not much the coaching staff can do if players don't put the ball in the net.

I’m pretty sure they will have another go next year, it’s unfinished business for the two of them.

31 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

With the money they've been able to spend, winning the LL should have been the absolute minimum expectation. Failing to get promotion is a failure for EK. Anything else is just ludicrous spin. No doubt they'll get another crack though.

There's something to be said for a chequebook manager that provides his own chequebook.

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

With the money they've been able to spend, winning the LL should have been the absolute minimum expectation. Failing to get promotion is a failure for EK. Anything else is just ludicrous spin. No doubt they'll get another crack though.

There's something to be said for a chequebook manager that provides his own chequebook.

According to guys with a better handle on EK's finances the budget is not much different to previous seasons.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

According to guys with a better handle on EK's finances the budget is not much different to previous seasons.

I'd be very sceptical of that. Even if it's true, EK have a solid history of failure given the budgets they've had available. Kennedy and Ferry have just added to that proud history.

On 17/05/2024 at 12:23, Cowdenleith said:

I am not trying to cause in any divide with this post, more of an observation.  Up front, I admit I have very little first hand experience of the weirdness of football in Glasgow and the surrounding areas.

However, to an outsider, it looks like East Kilbride FC have quite a, well, Celtic leaning. Is that a fair observation?  The manager is obviously a Celtic fan, is it correct that the owners are as well?  A lot of the comments about EK that you see on Twitter seem to come from people with Celtic stuff in their bios.

I suppose my point is that EK have a great opportunity in a town with a large and growing population, but are they at risk of alienating about 50% of their potential audience?

Honest answer, never found there to be any noticeable leanings to either team and that was part of the attraction to me following them.

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

You've got to assume this is a load of shite. I had heard this too and literally made a guffaw sound in response. 

EK have paid fees for the likes of Thomson, Balde, Daramola and Fagan to name a few and you've got to assume they're on very decent money. The wages players like Robertson, Stirling and Brown are on surely dwarf the dough Billy Mortimer, Ronan Hughes, BJ Coll and co. were getting.

Buying a league by spending beyond what the club generates is frustrating for outsiders but it happens at every level of football in Scotland and beyond. At least have the front to lean in to it rather than telling obvious lies.

Just now, Brian Carrigan said:

You've got to assume this is a load of shite. I had heard this too and literally made a guffaw sound in response. 

EK have paid fees for the likes of Thomson, Balde, Daramola and Fagan to name a few and you've got to assume they're on very decent money. The wages players like Robertson, Stirling and Brown are on surely dwarf the dough Billy Mortimer, Ronan Hughes, BJ Coll and co. were getting.

Buying a league by spending beyond what the club generates is frustrating for outsiders but it happens at every level of football in Scotland and beyond. At least have the front to lean in to it rather than telling obvious lies.

They have to hide the truth as HMRC are being deprived of income. The problem with trying to hide “off books” payments and having a high turnover of players is that these same players are asking for a similar deal when going to another Club. 

8 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Behave, they were only crowned champions a week before the last weekend of the season. For a team with the amount of money and talent available to them, with a forward line of championship level players its embarrassing how long it took them to manage it, and the result of the play-off was entirely unsurprising to anyone paying attention

The cynical view would be, of course they are going to stay, where would he go from here that would offer the same budget and opportunity to win almost every week? It’s a great way to boost your managerial stats!

Clearly the EK hoormasters are up for splashing silly amounts of cash next season to attract more mercenaries to stroll the Lowland League and get into another playoff v Club 42.

What could possibly go wrong ??!!!

9 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

All 15 of them?? 😂😂

Now now, only 10 of the picture on Twitter is anything to go by. Maybe the other 5 were unavailable. 😀

There are quite a lot of fawning Mick K fanboys on the post on Twitter, I can’t understand it. If I was a EK fan I would want him gone.  He’s a serial choker now, Darvel before this and now East Kilbride. 

Just now, Cowdenleith said:

I’m confused, I just got a notification about the same time as I was making a post a couple of minutes ago, that @welshbairn has quoted me in this very same thread.  But I can’t see any reply?

I'm a bit pished, was thinking you were talking about Stranraer rather than EK being "Celtic minded" so when I clicked I deleted it. Just that I saw a couple of kids supporting Stranraer being interviewed wearing Rangers shirts on youtube.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a bit pished, was thinking you were talking about Stranraer rather than EK being "Celtic minded" so when I clicked I deleted it. Just that I saw a couple of kids supporting Stranraer being interviewed wearing Rangers shirts on youtube.

Ha ha, cheers for confirming, never thought of an instant delete. 

Are you still pished celebrating ICT’s demise? 😀