Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

Suffice to say that with the exception of past financial calamity Berwick Rangers is facing its gravest hour since the expulsion crisis of the early 1950s. Nevertheless still a 3pt cushion + 2 H games + finish v Clyde & Edinburgh City. Guts required.

Btw were HL champions to win the promotion playoff then, as things stand, both Preston and Hawick would be relegated from LL... Edusport Academy would also be promoted from SOSL as things stand.

I watched Buckie's 0-0 this afternoon (just need to beat Strathspey I think) and they were far from impressive. Expect EK to go through with ease.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HL update...

As noted Buckie could only draw today. Brora and Cove thrashed their opponents.

Brora are now finished - I don't know if simultaneous finishes are traditional in HL, but it strikes me as fairly rough on them. They'll become champions if both Buckie (v bottom club Strathspey) and Cove (v mid-table Lossiemouth) fail to win next week.

If both win Buckie's superior GD will clinch it.

we are rightly favourites but there will be a few twists yet. as results again showed today its difficult to predict.

Aye we're (City) 12-1 there and with a minute to go today we'd have been favourites I reckon, plenty can happen yet.

It's going to go to the last game of the season I suspect. Don't know if my nerves can handle that. Fair play to Cowdenbeath who have done remarkably well to give themselves a real good chance of avoiding bottom spot. I think they'll do it. The deciding game could be Clyde v Berwick in two weeks. 

People are getting in a lather in FitbaNorth (thread now reached 6 pages) and Buckie Thistle's FB page (2 dozen posts) over Buckie possibly listing an ineligible player v Formartine yesterday. From what I can gather, someone called Murray was on loan at Deveronvale after 31st March - indeed it's reported he played for them on April 5th - but was then released or recalled to Buckie, this all being after 31st March cut-off.

Compared to most I'm probably pretty up on "rules 'n regs" but despite reading it all twice the details have left me little wiser. Anyone from up there elaborate?

People are getting in a lather in FitbaNorth (thread now reached 6 pages) and Buckie Thistle's FB page (2 dozen posts) over Buckie possibly listing an ineligible player v Formartine yesterday. From what I can gather, someone called Murray was on loan at Deveronvale after 31st March - indeed it's reported he played for them on April 5th - but was then released or recalled to Buckie, this all being after 31st March cut-off.

Compared to most I'm probably pretty up on "rules 'n regs" but despite reading it all twice the details have left me little wiser. Anyone from up there elaborate?

Quite cut and dry. Cove Rangers it would seem made a complaint and the rules are quite clear. The boy was ineligible to play, even though he was on the bench. Tough on Buckie but a mandatory 3 point deduction and £'s fine. Ignorance/misinterpretation of the rules is no defence. Carelessness by the Buckie outfit.

It's almost as if Buckie don't want to go up [emoji6]

The thought has not fallen on deaf ears. A stone cast decision to prevent them going up and then a platform to protest how hard done by they have been. The scenario has been perfectly executed.

13 minutes ago, Back Beach said:

The thought has not fallen on deaf ears. A stone cast decision to prevent them going up and then a platform to protest how hard done by they have been. The scenario has been perfectly executed.

Looks that way also looks like Wigtown have done the same in the south of Scotland League with some poor results recently.

7 minutes ago, Garrowhillclyde said:

Can they not just decline to go up, even if the won the division and play offs?

No.

5 minutes ago, Garrowhillclyde said:

Can they not just decline to go up, even if the won the division and play offs?

Mandatory.

However it's pretty fanciful to think that this would be the way to go about it. Listing (allegedly and if there is truth to the claims) an ineligible player, hoping someone notices, hoping it gets punished, hoping no-one "blabs", and blowing your league title in process? C'mon.

Archived