Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

48 minutes ago, surely not! said:

It's almost a moot point. There are only three teams anywhere near winning the league at the moment, and cove and Brora are the most likely over the next few years. The real test will be when both of those depart the HL and then what's rest is made up of teams who aren't keen for promotion.

Given the way the bottom of league two looks ( all potential LL teams rather than HL teams), there could be some shift in the HL power over the next few seasons - particularly regarding who wants to go up.

The LL has the same issues. Genuinely everyone saying they'd love to go up but it only really matters that the teams capable of winning it want to. So EK, Spartans, Shire and with Colts progressing all do and seem the only teams likely to be in the mix up in the near future- plus whoever comes down ( if anyone).

Essentially in any given year it only needs one team from each league to want to go up - as long as they happen to be the team who wins it!

At the start of the year nobody saw Buckie winning it. They lost 10-3 to Formartine last season. Similarly last season Brora, Turriff and Formartine were the only teams anyone saw as potential winners and Cove managed to do it. Clubs have gone from nowhere to contenders and vice versa on a regular basis in the HL this century.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Phoenix
40 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Buckie Thistle are saying they have it in writing from the Highland League secretary that it was OK to use Callum Murray. 

The rule that applies in the SPFL is that no player can play for any club, including their parent club from 1 April, aside from the one they are with at midnight on 31 March.

We have a player on loan from a SPL club and they wanted to recall him due to injuries and suspensions. Technically they could have recalled him but it would have been pointless because they couldn't play him.

Not sure if the same rule applies in the Highland League but if it does, I'd assume there has to be a question mark over this. 

People have posted the relevant HL rules on FN and it appears to be that: you can re-sign or register someone, but you can't play them if it happens after 31st March. I'm sure it's the same across all leagues.

Interestingly their FB statement of Sat said they'd checked and got an OK to register him; they're now saying they'd checked and got an OK to play him.

What could make an extremely awkward situation is if a HL official said it was OK when it isn't?

Would not knowing and getting a wrong interpretation exonerate a club from breaching rule?

I'd say Fraserburgh, Formartine and Wick could also make a good fist of it in League Two with one or two canny additions, outside of the top 3 you allude to. Not sure Fraserburgh are really bothered, though, Formartine won't be terribly sustainable once the current owners get bored /move on. I am sure Wick would want to progress given the chance.

Beyond that, there are clubs who could kick on but having seen a lot of HL football in the last year, I'd question the commitment / fitness levels of many of those clubs just outside the top 6. It's a hobby thing for many of these players seemingly, never mind what's going through the heads of those in HL boardrooms.

I'd agree that the HL is a pale shadow of what it was 20-30 years ago. But then, so are the bottom two leagues in the SPFL.

The SHFL had to beg those in charge to allow it to remain the de facto northern half of the pyramid in the face of the idea that those in charge would set up their own Highland League and ask teams to apply. Since then, Brora and Cove have, erm, underperformed on the national stage, and we're looking at either of those two going into the playoffs again, or possibly Buckie who voted against the pyramid at all. 

But those in charge launch their own Highland League in the face of continued stonewalling from current SHFL clubs and ask for applications, all you'll get is teams from the current SHFL applying. For all they moan about promotion, would Buckie give up games against Cove, Vale, Fraserburgh, Locos (should they all apply) just to eternally play in a league made up of Forres, Rothes, Lossie, Keith, etc?

People have posted the relevant HL rules on FN and it appears to be that: you can re-sign or register someone, but you can't play them if it happens after 31st March. I'm sure it's the same across all leagues.

Interestingly their FB statement of Sat said they'd checked and got an OK to register him; they're now saying they'd checked and got an OK to play him.

What could make an extremely awkward situation is if a HL official said it was OK when it isn't?

Would not knowing and getting a wrong interpretation exonerate a club from breaching rule?

Ignorance is not a defence.

3 minutes ago, The Clyde Man said:

Ignorance is not a defence.

Indeed.

Reports in the northern press that a meeting of HL clubs has been called for Thursday evening. Although apparently the section of the rules in question... which requires a mandatory 3pt deduction and monetary fine... specifically states it cannot be amended or waived. Potentially it comes down to who said what, and whether that'll see it overlooked or not.

Having fought my way through 12 page of a new thread on FN, not a lot else of substance to add. Article on HFLHub confirms what's already known:

http://www.hflhub.co.uk/

What are the rules in regards to loans to the Juniors?Kane Hester has appeared on our bench after the 31st of March despite being out on loan to Montrose Roselea?

It can often be down to interpretation of the rules. There are books with historical examples on the decisions of rules of golf so no doubt there could be precedent for football rules as well. Different people reading the same rules could come to different conclusions.

I'd be somewhat annoyed if officialdom had provided an official answer which led to the club being punished despite seeking an official response from those in office.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

At the start of the year nobody saw Buckie winning it. They lost 10-3 to Formartine last season. Similarly last season Brora, Turriff and Formartine were the only teams anyone saw as potential winners and Cove managed to do it. Clubs have gone from nowhere to contenders and vice versa on a regular basis in the HL this century.

I did. On November 19th, 2016 in our City Fanzine - Issue 10 Page 9, I tipped Buckie Thistle to win the Highland League.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 9 Year One Issue Ten - 19 November 2016.jpg

According to FN these are the relevant rules: http://www.fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6680

Any player registered with a Scottish Professional Football League or a Scottish Highland Football League Club whose registration is cancelled with the Scottish F A or who is subject of a transfer between any combination of the aforementioned Clubs on or after 31st March cannot play for any other Club during the current season.

In the event of a Club being found guilty of a breach of Rule 8.8.1 to 8.9.6 a fine (subject to a maximum of Five Hundred Pounds [£500]) and a mandatory three (3) point deduction will be imposed for each game in which an infringement occurred. Neither the League Management Committee nor the Judicial Panel nor the Secretary shall be entitled to waive or modify the application of this Rule in any circumstances.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They both want to go up though.

Your right there both desperate to go up. Point I was getting at was clubs having to chuck a lot of money at things to tick boxes for leagues. I read it would have cost Poole an extra £70k to get the required seats that after them spending money in recent months to get extra terracing. Would it really be the end of the world if they went into the NL with 500 seats short , probably not, but the extra £70k could have been the end of the club.

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Your right there both desperate to go up. Point I was getting at was clubs having to chuck a lot of money at things to tick boxes for leagues. I read it would have cost Poole an extra £70k to get the required seats that after them spending money in recent months to get extra terracing. Would it really be the end of the world if they went into the NL with 500 seats short , probably not, but the extra £70k could have been the end of the club.

Agreed, hopefully their appeals are upheld.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Agreed, hopefully their appeals are upheld.

Hope so I can understand having standards as you move up the leagues but you should also have common sense to go along with it. My mates down at Darlo today so he'll be able to tell me about their new ground.

Was at Poole's about 5 years ago and it wasn't up to much but has improved since then.

It's not, but if they've asked an official and the official has ok'd it, does the ignorance of the official rather than the club on question become the offence?

Did the official tell them they could register him or did he tell them they could play him?

26 minutes ago, The Clyde Man said:

Did the official tell them they could register him or did he tell them they could play him?

That's the important question! You would be able to register him but not play him could be a case of crossed wires by someone at Buckie.

Guest The Phoenix

Sadly, it would appear this is an open and shut case. 

Got to feel for Buckie but I doubt Cove/Brora would take any "bending" of the rules lying down. 

I did. On November 19th, 2016 in our City Fanzine - Issue 10 Page 9, I tipped Buckie Thistle to win the Highland League.
58f4ca6faa4ed_GoTellTheSpartansFCPage4and9YearOneIssueTen-19November2016.thumb.jpg.902b1cbd4e769d85abed509920c13a9f.jpg

That's like choosing a runner in the Grand National because you like the name. Not really a prediction.

I can't believe its deliberate - it could cost them the title and that's way too important to throw away in protest - but it's a really careless, and needless, thing to have done.

It matters not a jot what if anything the League Secretary said to Buckie. The only arbiter is the League rule book and that's absolutely clear. Can't the Buckie Secretary read or were they at it trying to gain a pecuniary advantage by asking "Hot Rod" for an opinion and bouncing him into a corner. If Buckie escape the 3pts deduction it leaves the door open for anyone to do the same in future knowing precedent will ensure they suffer no penalty. The HL league winners are guaranteed near a £20k windfall for entry into the Scottish League Cup and second place 7.5k for entry in R2 of the Scottish Cup so Cove and Brora won't presumably roll over if by some inexplicable reason the vote goes in favour of Buckie. Indeed if any club were to vote for Buckie they need to expelled as being complicit or Plain stupid.

Archived